Page 27 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    I mean, didn't Krakoa more or less accomplish that as well? The difference being mutants decided they no longer cared about being accepted so they completed their mission by creating their own world safe from "flatscans" like the Richards?
    X-Men Factor Forever was a favorite of mine and one of the best portrayals of Jott. It came out right in the middle of the dark age and was a much needed break for starved Jean fans or Jott fans in general. This is exactly what hack writers like Morrison, Fraction, and Hickman never understood about the X-Men.

The problem I have with using the Phoenix to solve the world's problems is exactly what you said that in a comic book world with shared continuity, stuff like this cannot last and will never work. It's the same reason why Reed Richards has never used his intellect to solve all the world's problems in one week even though he probably could. I think it's better to not even attempt something like this because it just pokes holes into everything. This will sound controversial, but I never understood why everyone was so fixated on mutantkind's extinction from M-Day. Maybe because it had gotten old fast since that's all the X-Books focused on during this period but I never got why it was considered so horrific that there would be no more mutants. And after years of hearing this being cried about, I was about to jump on the bandwagon that mutants really should die out to spare us from more of this horror. I was Team Wolverine because it was back to basics, reopening the school, where the X-Men should have been all along. It featured all the classic characters and none of these villains masquerading as heroes. I remember the reactions on here and it was a breath of fresh air for those of us who were sick of Utopia. What I'm hoping will happen again now that this current mutant supremacist regime is collapsing once and for all. Xavier's character assassination is another thing I couldn't stand. It felt like a sick joke to see how much worse they could make his character with retcon after retcon. Another reason I despised this era was because it seemed like the era of retcons, not just for Xavier, but in general. Most of which have been completely ignored since then.

In a way, I think Storm and Logan's capabilities as leaders (moreso Storm than Logan because classically in Claremont's run, he refused to lead and delegated that duty to just about anyone else) is precisely because their lives are about more than mutantkind. They are enriched for having more in their world and they bring those experiences and connections to their roles as leaders. Storm is one of the most empathetic and loyal of the X-Men for precisely that reason. And I'll say that before the 2000s, Cyclops was like that too. It's true that he had less than Storm and Logan, but we saw periods in his life where he was ready to leave it all. Like the scan I posted before where he told Xavier to buzz off, the X-Men can handle themselves, he's sticking with Jean in the hospital. Then again during the 90s when Scott was injured after OZT and he and Jean retired. He seemed happy there too. Even in X-Men Forever, he seemed quite content leaving the X-Men for Alaska with his grandparents, father, and son. He learned to appreciate a quiet family life, even if it wasn't possible to have it 24/7 but now some fans think that's OOC because they're used to the dark age where he had nothing else in his life and characterize that as the real Cyclops. Having nothing else in the world should not be a badge of honor. It's supposed to be a tragedy as this panel indicates.
    I think that era is best left forgotten. When a hack like Jason Aaron who's a borderline manchild gets his hands on X-Men and tries to **** on Scott's character, you know things are not going to play out right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    The story is still being told so maybe he is counting on a re-set to undo some of his choices, but so far he is trying to hammer out a deal with Nimrod to stop hunting mutants ,while he won't interfere with Nimrod's imperative against humanity and as a show of good faith destroyed a human space defense vessel that was going to attack Nimrod's sentinel city. Just bizzare stuff considering all Xavier knows.
    This is why I don't bother reading the X-Men anymore. I'm sticking with X-Men '97. This is exactly why I haven't supported the Krakoa regime since it originated. And honestly, Nimrod should be focusing his attention on about half of Krakoa's population since it's full of mass murderers and the most evil that evil can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Now that I think about it, I think the "None of the people I killed mattered" was written by Jason Aaron during his Wolverine and the X-Men run.

Man had an infamous hateboner towards Scott and during WaTX wrote Wolverine as constantly badmouthing Scott and the mutants allied with him. So yeah very mature there. Aaron has denied having a hatred for Cyclops, but his writing speaks otherwise.
    Aaron is an embarrassment. The only memorable things he's done is his Gorr storyline. I'll never forgive him for how he butchered the Phoenix lore and turned into a turkey like symbiote

This is why I don't bother reading the X-Men anymore. I'm sticking with X-Men '97. This is exactly why I haven't supported the Krakoa regime since it originated. And honestly, Nimrod should be focusing his attention on about half of Krakoa's population since it's full of mass murderers and the most evil that evil can be.
    Hickan turned all X-Men into villains, what Marvel failed to do in 2010s lol

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Caedus View Post
    Aaron is an embarrassment. The only memorable things he's done is his Gorr storyline. I'll never forgive him for how he butchered the Phoenix lore and turned into a turkey like symbiote
    I feel like that was more of a Marvel mandate in general, like the fans who attack Remender for the Wanda/Pietro retcon. And we Jean fans have been annoyed with how the Phoenix mythos was treated since long before it became an Avengers plot point. I have not and will never accept the Phoenix Five. That was absolute trash that these rando mutants could suddenly be hosts. Out of all of them, Scott is the only one who may have made an iota of sense because of his connection to Jean, but the Phoenix should always be Jean's mantle and passed down to her heirs as established by Claremont. Rasputins are nice but have no business channeling the Phoenix and I won't get started on the others.

Hickan turned all X-Men into villains, what Marvel failed to do in 2010s lol
    I avoid the X-Men Reddit page for this very reason because they absolutely go crazy for Hickman and Krakoa. Dare praise a story set before it and it's dozens of downvotes. They really feel Krakoa is the X-Men's peak and should last forever. I know there are all types of X-Men fans but I don't see how anyone even remotely familiar with this franchise and characters could accept this because it's so antithetical to the core premise.

I avoid the X-Men Reddit page for this very reason because they absolutely go crazy for Hickman and Krakoa. Dare praise a story set before it and it's dozens of downvotes. They really feel Krakoa is the X-Men's peak and should last forever. I know there are all types of X-Men fans but I don't see how anyone even remotely familiar with this franchise and characters could accept this because it's so antithetical to the core premise.
    They have no knowledge of pre-krakoan X-Mdn and they praise Hackman like he's the second coming of Alan Moore or something lmao

Fantastic Member

When for in story your people have massacred marginalized etc deciding to just take their ball and make their own laws etc so they don't have to be treated like second to class citizens,I understand that. I think people focus too much on the " mutant supremacy rather than being killed again and again. I really think if you've been marginalized it's easier to understand and accept it.

They have no knowledge of pre-krakoan X-Mdn and they praise Hackman like he's the second coming of Alan Moore or something lmao
    I don't know why the X-Men subreddit got hijacked like that. I know Reddit trends with younger people so I'm assuming a lot of first-time fans only introduced to the X-Men from Hickman's run considered that the default and everything before it either OOC or problematic. Similarly, the entire dark age seems absolutely beloved on there. I'm assuming that's also because fans who grew up with it as kids are now of age like how the Star Wars prequel trilogy found new life online. It's why I avoid anything to do with the X-Men on Reddit. The general Marvel page is much nicer and actually appreciates Marvel's history before 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Neocide View Post
    When for in story your people have massacred marginalized etc deciding to just take their ball and make their own laws etc so they don't have to be treated like second to class citizens,I understand that. I think people focus too much on the " mutant supremacy rather than being killed again and again. I really think if you've been marginalized it's easier to understand and accept it.
    X-Men is about acceptance not segregationism though
    Last edited by Darth_Caedus; 04-21-2024 at 02:06 AM.

I feel like that was more of a Marvel mandate in general, like the fans who attack Remender for the Wanda/Pietro retcon. And we Jean fans have been annoyed with how the Phoenix mythos was treated since long before it became an Avengers plot point. I have not and will never accept the Phoenix Five. That was absolute trash that these rando mutants could suddenly be hosts. Out of all of them, Scott is the only one who may have made an iota of sense because of his connection to Jean, but the Phoenix should always be Jean's mantle and passed down to her heirs as established by Claremont. Rasputins are nice but have no business channeling the Phoenix and I won't get started on the others.
    Cyclops being Phoenix made sense. Namor? Lmao

Fantastic Member

Yes, nor was extinction but we got that for like 20 years.we got hit squads and bus blowing up etc. was this part of the X-Men mytho too? Things change stories change, mission statements change depending on the time

I don't know why the X-Men subreddit got hijacked like that. I know Reddit trends with younger people so I'm assuming a lot of first-time fans only introduced to the X-Men from Hickman's run considered that the default and everything before it either OOC or problematic. Similarly, the entire dark age seems absolutely beloved on there. I'm assuming that's also because fans who grew up with it as kids are now of age like how the Star Wars prequel trilogy found new life online. It's why I avoid anything to do with the X-Men on Reddit. The general Marvel page is much nicer and actually appreciates Marvel's history before 2000.
    I tend to avoid social media nowadays anyway. It's become too toxic for me to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Neocide View Post
    I mean I fit under many marginalized groups, more than I care to if I'm being honest, so I understand that there are people who are more at risk from violence and death and the desire to find a society where you're safe and not treated like a second-class citizen or slave in bondage. But Krakoa goes too far in every extreme like forcibly kidnapping mutant children from their human families because mutants belong only with mutantkind. It's a form of self-imposed segregation which I don't hear any minority or marginalized group advocate for in real life thankfully. Assimilation isn't easy but it's necessary to normalize those of us who are different and that we're here to stay. Running away to isolate ourselves based on one commonality that isn't humanity only makes it easier to be branded as "other" and "subhuman" and doesn't fix anything.

Cyclops being Phoenix made sense. Namor? Lmao
    Namor used to be a character I liked a lot as an FF fan until he got bundled in with the X-Men and I started to despise him by association.