Page 51 of 86 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
    Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    The bolded part only makes him look like more of a dirtbag. In real life, men like that would be the first ones to avoid. Scott is lucky he had almost 40 years of publication history to buffer his character assassination in the dark age. But I'm more forgiving of him from the X-Men's prime era, as many feel he did not deserve redemption even back then from what he did to Maddie as Claremont said. Fans were not pleased with his behavior with Lee either and there are letter pages to prove that.
    It's comics and some heroes have done even worse than Scott ever did. That's part of the appeal of Cyclops, he's a superhero but his personal life is as messy as it gets

Fantastic Member

What do you think his psychic affair was? Some gift from the heart to Jean? Thank goodness Storm was spared from the stigma of being his affair partner. If you think Jean fans are unforgiving, you have yet to see the full, unbridled passion of the Storm fandom which would never allow their goddess to be debased in such a manner.

X-Fans are finally pointing out how Krakoa made it too easy for villains to be given absolution. Cyclops may not be a villain anymore but he has much to atone for and it hasn't been earned yet.

So one psychic affair that they both worked through themselves is fair to her treating him like **** for no reason? Like I understand being upset about the whole affair in general, but to claim the person deserves it because you deem it so is unfair also why do you keep coming to a appreciation thread to thrash said character? No one is bashing Jean here. I don't know if you like the character or like him as an accessory for Jean to be propped up.

I think she deserves all the recognition and status she's gotten since her return but I don't think it needs to come at her husband's expense and vice versa. I don't know why we ALL are so quick to tear down one character in order to prop up or appreciate another.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

To boost Scott. 14 years are not forgotten easily. This is why I said before that I have zero sympathy to see that some feel he's been sidelined because he had it too good for far too long. He needs to pay penance. Perhaps he should take a tip from Robbie Baldwin.
    Why does a fictional character need to pay penance for poor decisions of writers? It definitely wasn't a good moment, but I feel like dislike towards characters can get a bit too personal. As someone who wasn't around when most of this drama took place, the hate seems displaced.

That being said, not sure the appreciation thread is the proper place to bring it up either.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

If it's about apologies, Scott fans barely asked for one from Jean fans for more than 50 years of her being an unfaithful partner

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Caedus View Post
    By your logic Scott went evil so there was no plan to boost him at all
    I always assumed Jean was killed to boost Scott and his new relationship but when I would repeat that on here, that's when I was told by a fellow poster who worked for Marvel editorial during that time that I was wrong and Jean was killed off for the purpose of villainizing Scott. But the endpoint is the same that Jean suffered for Scott's sake and was inactive for 14 years as a result. Which is why I find it shocking that there is so much hatred for Jean here and how she "devolves" Scott or "holds him back," because she hasn't done a fraction to him that he's done to her.

If Cyclops was killed off for 14 years because of Jean (whether to boost her or to make her a villain), I'd like to see how fair the reactions on here would be. But male characters rarely suffer this way at the hands of female characters. The Maddie incident is further proof.

Spectacular Member

The bolded part only makes him look like more of a dirtbag. In real life, men like that would be the first ones to avoid. Scott is lucky he had almost 40 years of publication history to buffer his character assassination in the dark age. But I'm more forgiving of him from the X-Men's prime era, as many feel he did not deserve redemption even back then from what he did to Maddie as Claremont said. Fans were not pleased with his behavior with Lee either and there are letter pages to prove that.
    Scott has always been faithful except for one time under extraordinary circumstances that involved him being traumatized after being possessed by Apocalypse and his wife emotionally abandoning him, if anything, Jean has been a way worse partner to Scott than Scott to her, what with the endless love triangle, anyone would've left Jean for not stopping Wolverine and entertaining his flirtations for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Neocide View Post
    So one psychic affair that they both worked through themselves is fair to her treating him like **** for no reason? Like I understand being upset about the whole affair in general, but to claim the person deserves it because you deem it so is unfair also why do you keep coming to a appreciation thread to thrash said character? No one is bashing Jean here. I don't know if you like the character or like him as an accessory for Jean to be propped up.

I think she deserves all the recognition and status she's gotten since her return but I don't think it needs to come at her husband's expense and vice versa. I don't know why we ALL so quick to tear down one character in order to prop up or appreciate another.
    I don't follow the current comics so I don't really know what's been happening with Scott or Jean and if it's fair at all. I only commented on the Broo thing because I think it's dangerous to demonize an entire species especially when he is living proof that the Brood are not a monolith.

But I had to comment when I kept repeatedly hearing that Jean has humiliated Scott and shamed him in front of the entire team because from the scan I've seen posted on here, there was no such thing. Meanwhile, Jean was very much humiliated by Scott thanks to his actions. A little perspective is necessary.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neocide View Post

I think she deserves all the recognition and status she's gotten since her return but I don't think it needs to come at her husband's expense and vice versa. I don't know why we ALL are so quick to tear down one character in order to prop up or appreciate another.
    I agree wholeheartedly with the last part. No need for one to be torn down to bring another up.

I think we could all do the same. I understand shipping discussions can get heated, but there's no need to tear something else down to prove our points.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 04-25-2024 at 11:08 PM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

I always assumed Jean was killed to boost Scott and his new relationship but when I would repeat that on here, that's when I was told by a fellow poster who worked for Marvel editorial during that time that I was wrong and Jean was killed off for the purpose of villainizing Scott. But the endpoint is the same that Jean suffered for Scott's sake and was inactive for 14 years as a result. Which is why I find it shocking that there is so much hatred for Jean here and how she "devolves" Scott or "holds him back," because she hasn't done a fraction to him that he's done to her.

If Cyclops was killed off for 14 years because of Jean (whether to boost her or to make her a villain), I'd like to see how fair the reactions on here would be. But male characters rarely suffer this way at the hands of female characters. The Maddie incident is further proof.
    There was no hatred of Jean I've been defending her relationship with Scott left and right here and there. If you think she would've gotten a better treatment being married to Logan you're simply wrong. Logan is never going to settle down because that's the appeal of his character and he's been invalidating Jean for decades. Like if you like watching him stab her through the heart as it even happened in the Krakoan era and prefer that to Scott and Jean being a happy family with children then I don't really know what to say

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Why does a fictional character need to pay penance for poor decisions of writers? It definitely wasn't a good moment, but I feel like dislike towards characters can get a bit too personal. As someone who wasn't around when most of this drama took place, the hate seems displaced.

That being said, not sure the appreciation thread is the proper place to bring it up either.
    Like I said above, I only brought this up because of repeated comments about how Jean has shamed Scott over and over in front of the entire X-Men and haven't seen any proof of that. Because she asked him to reconsider his stance on the Brood? Is she expected to be a Stepford wife now, blindly obedient? I would think even Scott wouldn't want that.

Agreed.

Like I said above, I only brought this up because of repeated comments about how Jean has shamed Scott over and over in front of the entire X-Men and haven't seen any proof of that. Because she asked him to reconsider his stance on the Brood? Is she expected to be a Stepford wife now, blindly obedient? I would think even Scott wouldn't want that.

Agreed.
    Because she kinda did that in a way a bully would

Spectacular Member

If it's about apologies, Scott fans barely asked for one from Jean fans for more than 50 years of her being an unfaithful partner
    Tbf, most Scott fans dislike Jean for that, just look at the Cyclops subreddit, the two fandoms don't like each other because Scott fans don't like Jean and constantly complain about her (with good reason) and Jean fans don't like that we don't like Jean so they **** on Scott. The best is for both characters to be separated from each other, which is what's gonna happen with From The Ashes, that way both Scott and Jean can do their own thing without dragging each other down.

There was no hatred of Jean I've been defending her relationship with Scott left and right here and there. If you think she would've gotten a better treatment being married to Logan you're simply wrong. Logan is never going to settle down because that's the appeal of his character and he's been invalidating Jean for decades. Like if you like watching him stab her through the heart as it even happened in the Krakoan era and prefer that to Scott and Jean being a happy family with children then I don't really know what to say
    But I haven't mentioned Logan at all. What I've noticed is that Jean's name can't be mentioned on here without Logan's name being dragged in and I don't get that. What does Logan have to do with Scott and Jean all the time? I rarely mention Logan in terms of Scott and Jean and the love triangle as Logan and Scott had a perfectly well balanced relationship that had nothing to do with Jean until the dark age AKA Morrison's run. I don't know why this inferiority complex seems to exist but I think that suggests the root of the problem with why so many shame Jean on here.

Because she kinda did that in a way a bully would
    How? I literally don't see it. She reminds him through a suggestion that maybe his decision isn't the best one and he should reconsider. And maybe because it's only one panel that was posted rather than a whole page, I didn't get this part either but how did she shame him in front of the "entire team?"

Quote Originally Posted by NearlyEnough View Post
    Tbf, most Scott fans dislike Jean for that, just look at the Cyclops subreddit, the two fandoms don't like each other because Scott fans don't like Jean and constantly complain about her (with good reason) and Jean fans don't like that we don't like Jean so they **** on Scott. The best is for both characters to be separated from each other, which is what's gonna happen with From The Ashes, that way both Scott and Jean can do their own thing without dragging each other down.
    I'm not joining that subreddit because it's toxic. I love Scott and Jean together, I never cared that much for Scemma but if it means no more Jogan than it's the ideal option for him right?