Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Cont'd:

I'm liking what I see in this preview. U.S. Agent is being his usual gruff and obstinate self while Shang plays a game of death and deceit. And looking dapper as he does it. Indeed, this was what I was talking about before, Shang appearing as a modern leader who can negotiate and engage in interpersonal detente. Of course, if the need arises, he falls back on his martial arts skills. Overlooking all of this is the Winter Soldier as well. Awesome.

My only gripe? Look at the Chinese characters. They're simplified. That really irks me since Hong Kong still uses traditional.

Aside from that, I'm sold. Really looking forward to this.
    Cool artwork. But is Walker scrunching the shield? Just noting the way that panel is drawn..

My only gripe? Look at the Chinese characters. They're simplified. That really irks me since Hong Kong still uses traditional.
    can you elaborate?

Couldn't help but throw in the "game of death and deceit" line .

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Cool artwork. But is Walker scrunching the shield? Just noting the way that panel is drawn..

can you elaborate?
    The written characters of the Chinese language come in two different forms, simplified and traditional. Simplified is what is used in mainland China, Singapore, Malaysia, and international organizations like the World Bank and the U.N. Traditional is what is used in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau.

If you're on an NYC subway and look at the Chinese characters, they are now simplified. But 15 - 20 years ago, they were traditional. This shows the difference in immigration to the city, as more Chinese are coming from the mainland rather than Taiwan or Hong Hong.

This is a sample of simplified vs. traditional:

In the preview images, you saw some phrases. "Open" is written as 开放 in simplified but it's written as 開放 in traditional. "Closed" is written 关闭 in simplified but as 關閉 in traditional.

Language is a part of identity and culture. Hong Kong has a culture different from the mainland. Some call it a special type of Chinese culture or a totally separate Hong Kong culture. That conflict erupted about 5 years ago during the demonstrations and riots in Hong Kong.

For me, seeing simplified in Hong Kong neglects that difference.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Hi all. Preview is up for the third issue of Shang-Chi's Gang War tie-in. Comes out on Wednesday. That's right, two Shang-Chi stories this Valentine's Day! Feeling that deadly hands of Kung Fu love!

"I am a man of peace."

Cont'd

"I am a man of peace."

Read the Gang War tie-in and the issue of Thunderbolts. I'll do a deeper dive sometime, but I liked both. The former, we see Shang's perspective and his calculations. For the latter, we see how he could wield his organization.

Both could be better, but still satisfying.
    "I am a man of peace."

Astonishing Member

Shang-Chi and Luke Cage are two characters I loved in the 1970s, but don't seem as relevant in the modern era. I'd love to see both of them in a retro series set in that time period with modern storytelling sensibility. Kinda like a Quentin Tarentino movie.

Extraordinary Member

Cont'd:

I'm liking what I see in this preview. U.S. Agent is being his usual gruff and obstinate self while Shang plays a game of death and deceit. And looking dapper as he does it. Indeed, this was what I was talking about before, Shang appearing as a modern leader who can negotiate and engage in interpersonal detente. Of course, if the need arises, he falls back on his martial arts skills. Overlooking all of this is the Winter Soldier as well. Awesome.

Aside from that, I'm sold. Really looking forward to this.
    That kick should not have knocked John across the room.

John has either...
    1. The high grade vibranium shield that was given to Steve by T'Challa when he was The Captain

2. The alternate reality Cap shield he picked up
    in the Dark Avengers series.

Either one would absorb all the energy of that kick.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Hi all. For those who are interested, Shang just appeared in the last issue of the new Thunderbolts series:

Some cool ring usage, a willingness to team up again in the future.
    "I am a man of peace."

Apologies if I posted this before, but found this reimaging of Shang-Chi as an MMA fighter, which isn't too far off actually. It's from a series that shows many Marvel characters as MMA fighters. Check it out!:

Fighting styles seem about right. Still wouldn't have minded if there was a mention of Shuai Jiao. Shang would be very well versed in Chinese wrestling.
    "I am a man of peace."

For 40 years I mispronounced his name.

Apologies if I posted this before, but found this reimaging of Shang-Chi as an MMA fighter, which isn't too far off actually. It's from a series that shows many Marvel characters as MMA fighters. Check it out!:

Fighting styles seem about right. Still wouldn't have minded if there was a mention of Shuai Jiao. Shang would be very well versed in Chinese wrestling.
    ha-ha! pretty neat! where is this at?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ha-ha! pretty neat! where is this at?
    Saw it on my IG feed and then did a quick image search on Google. There are a ton of images on Pinterest, not just of Shang-Chi but also Cap, Wolverine, Daredevil, Black Panther, etc. The artist, Rodrigo Lorenzo, is on IG. You can check out his work here:

https://www.inprnt.com/search/produc...odrigo+lorenzo
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    For 40 years I mispronounced his name.
    I doubt you are the only one...