Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kwannon View Post
    My favorite look for Rachel.
    Same here. I mean, if she isn't allowed to have either of her mother's outfits...

...then her late '80s/early '90s attire would be my preference (XD)
    Last edited by K7P5V; 03-23-2024 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    ...then her late '80s/early '90s attire would be my preference
    [/center]
    Funny how we go back and forth conceptually with Rachel wearing her clothing from her enslaved mutant hound trauma history. It looks great or rather is made to look great, but the implications can be disturbing. I'd be surprised if it passes Woke muster in the age of un-bodyswapping to avoid racially dangerous areas (Psylocke./Captain Britain) and removing traumatic connections to characters' past as part of their power base (Illyana disconnecting from Limbo) adjusting the names of characters to be culturally accurate (New Mutants - Berto becomes Beto, Xian becomes Xuan).
    But there is a psychological precedent for internalizing trauma in a way that brings a form of comfort and ultimately making the injured feel empowered by reclaiming that element...

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Rachel IMO tends to get horrible designs. She has more bad costumes than good

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I actually loved her Arthur Adams costume from the Asgard annual that became her official costume, though I think Adams drew it better than Romita Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I actually loved her Arthur Adams costume from the Asgard annual that became her official costume, though I think Adams drew it better than Romita Jr.
    Timing of debut and raptor neckline aside, I think the costumes are different. Also notably. no gloves or boots. The Adams design, which I also loved, was never seen outside of the Asgardian adventure crossover from the X-MEN ANNUAL with the NEW MUTANNTS Special Edition.The John Romita Jr look seemed like more a part of Rachel's energy display than clothing. I don't think Ray was ever shown as "powered down" when in Phoenix mode to show any sort of clothing during that period.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Funny how we go back and forth conceptually with Rachel wearing her clothing from her enslaved mutant hound trauma history. It looks great or rather is made to look great, but the implications can be disturbing. I'd be surprised if it passes Woke muster in the age of un-bodyswapping to avoid racially dangerous areas (Psylocke./Captain Britain) and removing traumatic connections to characters' past as part of their power base (Illyana disconnecting from Limbo) adjusting the names of characters to be culturally accurate (New Mutants - Berto becomes Beto, Xian becomes Xuan).
    But there is a psychological precedent for internalizing trauma in a way that brings a form of comfort and ultimately making the injured feel empowered by reclaiming that element...

There is nothing about this costume or her history as a hound has anything to do with identity politics, aka having to pass a "woke muster" . A powerful female being used as a slave and being forced to do awful things by her captor is a sad and ongoing trope in comics. And certainly has nothing to do with other characters you listed who have had changes to them that are more reflective of current society or overall updates.

Additionally she already paid homage to her hound and Excalibur days and it was great. She took back the trauma of what was done to her and made it a fashion statement, as Rachel tends to do. On that we agree.

STL188989.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    There is nothing about this costume or her history as a hound has anything to do with identity politics, aka having to pass a "woke muster" . A powerful female being used as a slave and being forced to do awful things by her captor is a sad and ongoing trope in comics. And certainly has nothing to do with other characters you listed who have had changes to them that are more reflective of current society or overall updates.
    Making a course correction based on a change in awareness would apply to all of the above. Just Rachel's case of the implications of her fashion choices haven't risen to the level of actionable in the prevailing thought. I think divorcing Illyana from Limbo and the discussion about the implications of her power being connected to that dimension of her trauma is the closest parallel. I don't necessarily agree but it's a neighboring line of thinking.

Had not seen this Hellfire Gala design before (fan art?). Stunning. A shame it was never modeled in issue...

Making a course correction based on a change in awareness would apply to all of the above. Just Rachel's case of the implications of her fashion choices haven't risen to the level of actionable in the prevailing thought. I think divorcing Illyana from Limbo and the discussion about the implications of her power being connected to that dimension of her trauma is the closest parallel. I don't necessarily agree but it's a neighboring line of thinking.
    For me I don't see a perceived harm or "woke"-ness to correcting things that no longer are appropriate. Name changes happen all the time regardless of orientation or gender identity. I think the most concerning, to me, of those you listed, is the intent on divorcing Illyana from the trauma of Limbo. Like Rachel, that trauma defines who the character is. The others do not.

Had not seen this Hellfire Gala design before (fan art?). Stunning. A shame it was never modeled in issue...
    It's fan art as there were no official artwork for Rachel beyond the first Hellfire Gala as she was away for the other two.

Meanwhile, some stunning and sad/annoying news for Rachel today:
    Stunning: spoilers:
    Rise and Fall of the X-Men: After talking Xavier down from killing young Moira, he comes back to the No Place and shoots and kills Rachel. Presumably to possibly help bring the Phoenix back, but it's unclear. We know that she survives in some capacity as she's a child of the Phoenix and we know she is in a book beyond Krakoa. But stunning nonetheless
    end of spoilers

Sad/Annoying: spoilers:
    Another amazing and great installment of X-Men '97 dropped this am, but the downside for Rachel fans is ONCE AGAIN a storyline or element of Rachel's comic history has been appropriated and given to Bishop. Quickly going through "Inferno", baby Nathan is infected by the TO Virus by Sinister (in a nod to Achilles being made impervious) and it's BISHOP who takes Nathan to the future to be raised and cured. Thus another moment that is attributed to Rachel in the comics and given to Bishop. Personally at this point I don't think that she will appear in any future season and her cameo in season 4 as a trapped telepath is all we will ever get. Which means we won't get an Excalibur either.
    end of spoilers

This was posted in the Jean thread. This feels far more fitting as a costume for Rachel. Just make the blue parts, orange and draw hound marks on her face instead of that tattoo

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

This was posted in the Jean thread. This feels far more fitting as a costume for Rachel. Just make the blue parts, orange and draw hound marks on her face instead of that tattoo
    While I don't disagree on the design being a better fit, my issue is that it's not unique to Rachel and another hand-me-down costume from Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Thanks Mercury

now Color

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

now Color
    I love it!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Was Rachel depowered or killed?

At least we know she will be back. Her and Betsy will get a book. And before that, Rachel and Hope may help Jean fight the Dominion. We may actually see the Phoenix Trinity in action (if the above cover is actually indicative of what's to come)!

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    Was Rachel depowered or killed?

At least we know she will be back. Her and Betsy will get a book. And before that, Rachel and Hope may help Jean fight the Dominion. We may actually see the Phoenix Trinity in action (if the above cover is actually indicative of what's to come)!
    It wasn't confirmed but I think killed because that's what Xavier wanted to do to Moira.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!