Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I don't think it will be negative. The way Foxe has been taking, it sounds like he pushed Duggan to reconsider Rachel's role in Rise and he subsequently gave her more. Which is huge. I think the thing that concerns me most is what happens next after this Krakoan Era ends. Will they pick up on her current trajectory? Will she go back to being written as the punching bag she was up until Hickman took over?

As for Kitty, I would love to see them back as bestie, but no romance. That ship has sailed for me, with Gold and then Extermination being the final nails in the coffin.
    Rachel fans are so used to no representation, we're always hopeful this new event or any inclusion will be the fix we experienced when Rachel was a POV character. But being a C-list character makes her so much cooler than the mainstream X-Men.

I was re-reading Uncanny 210, maybe the last time Rachel had the spotlight on the main stage. Rachel wasn't in it but it was interesting to read what her teammates/family thought about her while they were looking for her after she disappeared. Rogue - "Is she dead? It's cruel, but sometimes ah think that'd be for the best. The girl certainly has some serious problems." Kitty - "Rachel deserted us Peter...What do you do when people you trust, people you maybe even LOVE, betray you?" Piotr - "As Rachel herself told us in happier times, if we give up, then all our sacrifices...will have been for nothing" Ororo - "I don't object to your [Logan] attempting to trying to stop Rachel, but you shouldn't have done it alone..." So Rachel did the sacrifice again that aligned everyone into being a better team. Then that same team basically gave up the search and forgot about her. Ironically the same thing happens after Extermination (And Excalibur when everyone thought she should just die for Britanic). Rachel and Kate should definitely be the exes that remain being friends.
    Last edited by Subliminal; 01-11-2024 at 11:14 AM.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    Rachel fans are so used to no representation, we're always hopeful this new event or any inclusion will be the fix we experienced when Rachel was a POV character. But being a C-list character makes her so much cooler than the mainstream X-Men.

I was re-reading Uncanny 210, maybe the last time Rachel had the spotlight on the main stage. Rachel wasn't in it but it was interesting to read what her teammates/family thought about her while they were looking for her after she disappeared. Rogue - "Is she dead? It's cruel, but sometimes ah think that'd be for the best. The girl certainly has some serious problems." Kitty - "Rachel deserted us Peter...What do you do when people you trust, people you maybe even LOVE, betray you?" Piotr - "As Rachel herself told us in happier times, if we give up, then all our sacrifices...will have been for nothing" Ororo - "I don't object to your [Logan] attempting to trying to stop Rachel, but you shouldn't have done it alone..." So Rachel did the sacrifice again that aligned everyone into being a better team. Then that same team basically gave up the search and forgot about her. Ironically the same thing happens after Extermination (And Excalibur when everyone thought she should just die for Britanic). Rachel and Kate should definitely be the exes that remain being friends.
    Rachel was front and center during the X-Men Reloaded era. A few arcs revolved around her specifically. From that point out zide a few one off issues she was a team player and not the center (I'm ignoring the bad focus from Gold). Krakoa was a slow start for her, but once X-Factor got she started getting more focus and positive development. I don't think Rachel works as an A player at this stage, but she's moved to more of a B character as evident in her focus the next 5 months.

I had a hunch Rachel would figure in Gillen's Fall of X story, especially because he's handling Jean/Phoenix. In fact, two weeks ago, I tweeted this: https://twitter.com/Jean_RED_Grey/st...96469712551985

I think she’ll reunite with mama in the last leg of Fall of X. X-Men Forever and Dead X-Men here we go! #XSpoilers

It really should be Rachel who in some way awakens her mother from her stupor.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I had a hunch Rachel would figure in Gillen's Fall of X story, especially because he's handling Jean/Phoenix. In fact, two weeks ago, I tweeted this: https://twitter.com/Jean_RED_Grey/st...96469712551985

It really should be Rachel who in some way awakens her mother from her stupor.
    It really should, it would be a tender moment that would go far. If anyone can cut thru the nonsense and the White Hot Room, it's Rachel. Almost like the reverse of that image from 140.5 above.

It really should, it would be a tender moment that would go far. If anyone can cut thru the nonsense and the White Hot Room, it's Rachel. Almost like the reverse of that image from 140.5 above.
    YES! I would f'ing die and cry and fly. The sweet, burning feeling in the pit of my stomach tells me that Gillen would totally honor this page. He already used Claremont's description of Jean and Phoenix's connection being endless and "unbreakable" (Claremont's word choice) in IXM #18. I trust he'd do the same for Jean/Phoenix and Rachel's relationship.

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Rachel was front and center during the X-Men Reloaded era. A few arcs revolved around her specifically. From that point out zide a few one off issues she was a team player and not the center (I'm ignoring the bad focus from Gold). Krakoa was a slow start for her, but once X-Factor got she started getting more focus and positive development. I don't think Rachel works as an A player at this stage, but she's moved to more of a B character as evident in her focus the next 5 months.
    Really sad that X-Factor ended before a Rachel-centric story happened.

Even though it wasn't that good, Secret Wars II seemed like the first time Rachel was prominent in the X-Men and the Marvel Universe. She was recognized by the other characters, Avengers, FF etc. and played a primary role in the event (she 'coerced' all the x-teams to fight the Beyonder and discorporated, transported and the reassembled most of Earth's heroes a few times to fight the Beyonder in the climax and didn't even break a sweat) most readers knew who she was too. I don't think she was primary in another Marvel-wide plot until AvsX, everyone thought she was cool in that. I guess Days of Future Present kinda counts too.

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    Really sad that X-Factor ended before a Rachel-centric story happened.

Even though it wasn't that good, Secret Wars II seemed like the first time Rachel was prominent in the X-Men and the Marvel Universe. She was recognized by the other characters, Avengers, FF etc. and played a primary role in the event (she 'coerced' all the x-teams to fight the Beyonder and discorporated, transported and the reassembled most of Earth's heroes a few times to fight the Beyonder in the climax and didn't even break a sweat) most readers knew who she was too. I don't think she was primary in another Marvel-wide plot until AvsX, everyone thought she was cool in that. I guess Days of Future Present kinda counts too.
    I agree Subby that she was totally front and center during Secret Wars II, and just as much during Days of Futures Present. Both stellar spotlights on her. But I would disagree with you on AvX, as Rachel should have had a more significant role than she did. Outside of being Scott's mole, she only got a few panels of fighting. Yes, she got two two issues that she was the focus in the complimentary readings, but neither played a significant role in the main story. And honestly neither did she.

I can't wait to see Rachel drawn by Silva in Rise! As Foxe said, "I mean, even Rachel’s role in his [Gillen's] book ended up changing when I had strong feelings about how I wanted to deploy her here."

Reposting these for the 2024 thread and because I just love them.

Rachel is the librarian of the Askani Record so she has access to everything everyone has experienced. Knowing that she recruits the "Dead X-Men" team makes me think there's something about their shared experience at the gala that makes them key to the mission.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I'm posting some screenshots from the other day's live stream of Marvel Future Fight.

Captura_de_pantalla_19.jpg Captura_de_pantalla_13.jpg Captura_de_pantalla_17.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I can't wait to see Rachel drawn by Silva in Rise! As Foxe said, "I mean, even Rachel’s role in his [Gillen's] book ended up changing when I had strong feelings about how I wanted to deploy her here."

Rachel is the librarian of the Askani Record so she has access to everything everyone has experienced. Knowing that she recruits the "Dead X-Men" team makes me think there's something about their shared experience at the gala that makes them key to the mission.
    This is so terrific. And having Rachel go from the best tracker to someone keeping track is so on point and that Cyclops-like eye? I look at Rachel's character drivers as 3 'A's, autonomy, atonement and being alone. She worked through the atonement issues in the 80s-90s (unless Guggenheim wants to dredge). She's connected enough now that she doesn't have a fit if Jean or Scott die, but that took decades. Looking to see how much she'll be in charge of her own destiny as Askani, if it ends up that Rachel under the thrall of another force or being I'm going to riot...

X-MEN: FOREVER #2
    Written by KIERON GILLEN
    Art by LUCA MARESCA
    Cover by MARK BROOKS
    On Sale 4/25

Immortal means forever! The fight for Krakoa's future begins here! Since RISE OF THE POWERS OF X began, there have been a few mysteries unrevealed! Now writer Kieron Gillen fills in the gap of what happened between the end of IMMORTAL X-MEN and the beginning of the end of the Krakoan Age!