Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Reddead View Post

Poor Gar probably died thinking his girlfriend betrayed him again.
    If you are not counting Raven's demon as Raven she never betrayed him. There was typically not a strict separation from Raven and well herself in past storytelling though she obviously warred with herself internally many times and at times externally.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So that's your stance on Jericho in Deathstroke or Johns' Brother Blood? I think those were the only instances I can think of...other than using Dr. Light as a major antagonist but it was very different than what Wolfman/Perez did with him.
    I found Johns run a watered down diminished version of Wolfman and Perez's original run less interesting overall.

Not necessarily bad either, though that's probably down to personal taste.
    Repetitive and unnecessary certainly, though.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Is Gar a Doctor Who fan? He's quoting Tennant's original last line there.
    Probably a sign that he is going to regenerate into a new body from his lost limb or maybe one of the Titans (Cyborg) will find that limb it was caught inside a boom tube he might know where it's located.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I found Johns run a watered down diminished version of Wolfman and Perez's original run less interesting overall.

Amusingly spoilers:
    this run is already looking to be using watered down concepts once again.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I don't think he really did that though. More small homages than anything.
    In the context of Aquaman?

So it looks like Taylor is doing another rehash of a classic NTT story next.

Really hoping he mixes things up by the end of the year. I would love for him to go full Morrison JLA and expand the roster with some unique picks, but I seriously doubt he would do that.

I don’t know if anyone will ever expand the Titans franchise beyond just NTT story retelling.

I posted this in the Starfire thread, but what are everyone's thoughts on Xand'r and the retconning of Starfire and Tamaran's past? Raven being upset with him is valid, but Kory should REALLY hate him. I also wonder what this means for Blackfire's own history.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    So it looks like Taylor is doing another rehash of a classic NTT story next.

Really hoping he mixes things up by the end of the year. I would love for him to go full Morrison JLA and expand the roster with some unique picks, but I seriously doubt he would do that.

I don’t know if anyone will ever expand the Titans franchise beyond just NTT story retelling.
    I'm guessing we'll be getting a space arc soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post

I posted this in the Starfire thread, but what are everyone's thoughts on Xand'r and the retconning of Starfire and Tamaran's past? Raven being upset with him is valid, but Kory should REALLY hate him. I also wonder what this means for Blackfire's own history.
    What is the benefit to this guy over Blackfire? It's the equivalent of trying to replace your biggest villain with a complete rando.

Astonishing Member

I'm guessing we'll be getting a space arc soon.

What is the benefit to this guy over Blackfire? It's the equivalent of trying to replace your biggest villain with a complete rando.
    Blackfire is more significant/important and couldn't be tossed away as easily as this doofus was.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Blackfire is more significant/important and couldn't be tossed away as easily as this doofus was.
    I would agree they have been taking the view that mass marketable characters need to have stuff that doesn’t play well with modern audiences excised. The 80s was a very different era when nothing Blackfire did was a hinderance to mass market appeal.

That might also be also why of late they are much more clearly separating Raven from Raven then you would have found in 80s storytelling. They started doing that well before the current storyline.
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-29-2024 at 04:29 AM.

Are the Titans the only team that can't use recurring villains? The last Trigon story was in the New 52, but everytime he appears people shout "rehashing stories" before even reading it.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Are the Titans the only team that can't use recurring villains? The last Trigon story was in the New 52, but everytime he appears people shout "rehashing stories" before even reading it.
    I have been seeing a lot of complaints on Twitter as well that amount to Trigon needs to be put out to pasture for good because this is just going to be another rehash of Terror of Trigon. First, I will say DC nor any entertainment company puts popular characters out to pasture for good and frankly the DCAMU, especially Apokolips War as well as Titans Go has made Trigon a character that can move merchandise among the general public.

There is a justifiable argument that regular universe comic storytelling with Raven and Trigon has been creatively bankrupt for a very long time. It's been non-regular universe storytelling over the past decade such as in the DCAMU, Titans Go, and the Injustice universe that looked at what different ground then they could tread then Trigon shows up messes with his daughter and her friends. She beats him. The end.

New 52 was trying for something new, but was aborted mid story. Trigon plots with similarities to ToT do still have a place with a teenage Raven where in the life of the child the overbearing father figure is at that point often viewed as a major hinderance to who they want to date, be friends with, and having a free hand at what they want to do later in life.

In terms of post teenage years Raven as she is supposed to be right now the kind of storytelling the comics have been trying to make work with Raven and Trigon doesn't work. If the coming story manages to update Raven and Trigon's storytelling to something workable for Trigon and a post emancipation years Raven it would be a big net positive.
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-29-2024 at 05:21 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post

I don't care for him at all.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    In the current situation, I'm less concerned about Trigon and more annoyed that we're getting another 'Raven goes evil' storyline.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Yes she could blackfire is weak and can’t stand up to Kory it’s part of her backstory