Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Roy and Cheshire actually meant something. Donna? was never more than casual dating AFAIK. Donna was more serious with Kyle Rayner... which didn't last long.
    That was only because of WW editorial at the time (and John Byrne) who didn't want her appearing in the Green Lantern book as they had 'plans' for her (which never happened).
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Whenever DC presents an idea to Donna it involves who she's sleeping with.
    That's not true. It could be worse and be like when they finally introduced her into the New52 universe as a golem that was created to kill Diana. Let's be real though. Usually when Donna gets the spotlight it's to give her another origin.

DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Astonishing Member

Have to say this looks pretty good! Very happy to see Titans back on track after a couple decades of 'neglect'.

Extraordinary Member

I need to to reread Lazarus planet Trilogy

How much of Liam is left in there? It can’t be much since trigon murdered his brothers and he doesn’t care.

"Why do these items of power always add muscle definition" - There's a patented Tom Taylor quip!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I need to to reread Lazarus planet Trilogy

How much of Liam is left in there? It can’t be much since trigon murdered his brothers and he doesn’t care.
    He was in it for, like, five pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He was in it for, like, five pages.
    Most of the story was Raven self loathing.

It makes me appreciate New 52 Raven’s higher degree of self acceptance.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-12-2024 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I miss villain Blackfire.

One of the many many stupid things in "I am not Starfire".... why doesn't Mandy have a teen cousin to fight? If Blackfire is old enough for a teen daughter... then Blackfire who is older....

One of the many many stupid things in "I am not Starfire".... why doesn't Mandy have a teen cousin to fight? If Blackfire is old enough for a teen daughter... then Blackfire who is older....
    I suspect the writer of that wasn't the least bit interested in Blackfire, and certainly not the least bit interested in giving Blackfire a daughter. As I understand it, the main character wasn't even Starfire, but a self-insert of the writer herself and the story just a metaphorical retelling of her own childhood as an overweight, gay or bi teen dealing with her own issues of not conforming to impossible standards of what young women were "supposed" to look like. And the backlash was a bunch of butthurt fans hearing the initial premise and building up an idea in their heads of what the story was going to be about (and who Starfire's daughter was going to be), only to find out that the writer had a completely different story in mind that incorporated absolutely none of their ideas or expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    I suspect the writer of that wasn't the least bit interested in Blackfire, and certainly not the least bit interested in giving Blackfire a daughter. As I understand it, the main character wasn't even Starfire, but a self-insert of the writer herself and the story just a metaphorical retelling of her own childhood as an overweight, gay or bi teen dealing with her own issues of not conforming to impossible standards of what young women were "supposed" to look like. And the backlash was a bunch of butthurt fans hearing the initial premise and building up an idea in their heads of what the story was going to be about (and who Starfire's daughter was going to be), only to find out that the writer had a completely different story in mind that incorporated absolutely none of their ideas or expectations.
    Yeah, it's a self-insert story that shoehorns the DC comics setting into the self-insert.

It also makes the self-insert look like a horrible person. That's the weirdest part. The self-insert isn't shown to be a good person. Literally the only good thing she does is fight her aunt Blackfire when Blackfire shows up on Earth for no reason and takes Starfire hostage. But the logic of why any of that even happened is non-existent. (yes I did actually find a copy of it so I could see the whole thing) It was crap because it doesn't have coherent story telling.

If she wasn't interested in Blackfire.... why was Blackfire the third most important character? Why even have Starfire as the mom? Oh and the time scale in it is insane. Mandy is late teens and half-Human. How long has this version of Starfire even been on Earth? It's setup like the Teen Titans cartoon! If it's set 16+ years after Starfire arrived on Earth.... why is everything so much like how it was when Starfire FIRST arrived on Earth?

And no you don't get to play the "alternate timeline" card as an excuse since... if you do most of the backstory evaporates into the void. This story establishes such a tiny handful of it's own continuity beats that it NEEDS the mainstream continuity to make up the vast bulk of the setting and lore.

I just remember Blackfire wearing the most revealing outfits in that book...because she was evil I guess .

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    I suspect the writer of that wasn't the least bit interested in Blackfire, and certainly not the least bit interested in giving Blackfire a daughter.
    Classic Blackfire doesn't strike me as the least bit possessing of a maternal instinct...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just remember Blackfire wearing the most revealing outfits in that book...because she was evil I guess .
    Well it seemed to play it off as normal Tamaranean attire. well except for being black.