Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    In before they say Sovereign turned Waller into a Supervillain because he couldn't stand the idea of a woman in power so he had to turn her evil.
    Waller was always evil (to a certain extent), even before Sovereign showed up. Writers just hand waved her shadiness by playing the 'she's acting for the greater good' card. In truth, she hasn't been working for the greater good since Ostrander.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Waller was always evil (to a certain extent), even before Sovereign showed up. Writers just hand waved her shadiness by playing the 'she's acting for the greater good' card. In truth, she hasn't been working for the greater good since Ostrander.
    Of course, with Sovereign claiming to have "been there all along" (as continuity-problematic as that may be), his retconned influence could eventually provide the Parallax Space Bug-get-out-of-jail-free card that Waller needs for a character reset. 'Cause this "bwah-ha-ha, kill all the super-heroes" mindset is, bluntly, wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    She was never evil unless you view the idea of Task Force X as inherently evil and not gray.

She was never evil unless you view the idea of Task Force X as inherently evil and not gray.
    To be fair*, even at its best (ie getting volunteers and reducing sentences), Task Force X is pretty dark grey. Sticking bombs in prisoners' heads, even if they *are* nominally volunteering for their suicidal missions, is way off the map, civil rights-wise.

* I will forever hear the gang from Letterkenny when I type the words "to be fair."

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    To be fair*, even at its best (ie getting volunteers and reducing sentences), Task Force X is pretty dark grey. Sticking bombs in prisoners' heads, even if they *are* nominally volunteering for their suicidal missions, is way off the map, civil rights-wise.

* I will forever hear the gang from Letterkenny when I type the words "to be fair."
    Not too mention what their missions often entailed. Pretending that Task Force X is any shade of grey is pretty silly. IMO Waller has always been the same as Lex Luthor. Selling their evil as not evil because its for the greater good according to them.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-09-2024 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Not too mention what their missions often entailed. Pretending that Task Force X is any shade of grey is pretty silly. IMO Waller has always been the same as Lex Luthor. Selling their evil as not evil because its for the greater good according to them.
    But at least per Ostrander she was straight with them and didn't use them as disposable tools that were so easily thrown away. She at least had principles and standards and was doing what she felt was best.

I don't think Lex is a fair comparison because ultimately it's just his own ego and he doesn't really care about the greater good, he just tells himself that.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

But at least per Ostrander she was straight with them and didn't use them as disposable tools that were so easily thrown away. She at least had principles and standards and was doing what she felt was best.

I don't think Lex is a fair comparison because ultimately it's just his own ego and he doesn't really care about the greater good, he just tells himself that.
    It should also be noted that not all the squaddies had bombs implanted in their heads. Plenty of characters, including heroes like Vixen and Roy Harper were willing to work under her simply cause she made a good deal with them. There was a logic to her that kept her understandable as a character.

But now Waller has been flanderized into a cartoonish villain with no level of restraint and is causing crimes herself. Whats left of Waller now is just a dull caricature.

You guys are acting like this is new.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    It should also be noted that not all the squaddies had bombs implanted in their heads. Plenty of characters, including heroes like Vixen and Roy Harper were willing to work under her simply cause she made a good deal with them. There was a logic to her that kept her understandable as a character.

But now Waller has been flanderized into a cartoonish villain with no level of restraint and is causing crimes herself. Whats left of Waller now is just a dull caricature.
    When you say now you mean the last 12 years right…. right

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    When you say now you mean the last 12 years right…. right
    Well, yeah it's been a problem for a while.

It occurs to me that my idea of Waller being written "right" is 20+ years old.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Hey if people can still complain about Spider-Man not being written right since 2007, no reason why that can't apply to other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The Sovereign appearing in other books outside Wonder Woman would be weird unless they're trying to build him up to a global threat like Leviathan.
    Most DC stories take place in America, which is where the Sovereign lives. Though you could also argue he's already a global threat by taking on Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    You guys are acting like this is new.
    They've pointed out this has been an issue with Waller for a long time.

So does Waller. She has principles and standards, but again they're according to her. Lex might even be more altruistic as he at least thinks he's saving the world. Where with Waller its about her country.