View Poll Results: Superior Spider-Man by Dan Slott / What is your verdict?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-Stars His work is the best compared to others in Marvel and DC right now

30 29.70%
  • 4-Stars His work is above average compared to others in Marvel and DC right now

43 42.57%
  • 3-Stars His work is average compared to others in Marvel and DC right now

12 11.88%
  • 2-Stars His work is below average compared to others in Marvel and DC right now

8 7.92%
  • 1-Star His work is poor compared to others in Marvel and DC right now

8 7.92%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post
    Truth.

Overall, I haven't enjoyed Spider-Man this much since the JMS administration. Doc Ock's always been my favorite villain, and it was fun watching him become my favorite hero, too.

Now that Peter's back in the saddle, though ... I'm out. It's been a lot of fun, Mr. Slott, but I'm out.
    Blithering Toot I myself, liked the JMS run. I liked it even though there was a lot of blowback regarding his two storylines. Sins Past and One More Day. Given that I started re-reading comic books/graphic novels again in 2006 after an almost two-decade hiatus from reading them, I didn't find anything wrong with them, with the exception regarding rebooting Gwen Stacy's relationship with Norman Osborn. That was kind of hard to take, with a long time reader of Marvel Tales back then.

Finally got around to reading from start to finish yesterday. I ended up liking it a lot. I especially enjoyed the 'Goblin Nation' arc and how after all his upgrades/inventions/etc, Ock couldn't handle everything thrown at him by the end. It showed why Peter's character is so special and how HE is THE Spider-Man.

4/5

Quote Originally Posted by Pabst View Post
    I think the series explored a lot of "what if" scenarios by having Spider-Man do all these things that are out of character and using Ock's mind to control his body basically. That's what the entire run does, what if he didn't pull his punches for example, what if he killed a villian, what if he stopped using ethics and morals and used a ends justify the means attitude. I thought it was fun to explore these things but it was also nice to see the series end and the way it ended too. It was a fun series and I'm glad to have every issues. I'll probably never part with this series.
    That's very well said. I reviewed every single issue for my website and have to say, using a critical eye, there were ups and downs, but it never got below a 6 out of 10 but never really went above an 8. It was mostly 8's I think.
    Last edited by Nosocialize; 05-06-2014 at 01:05 PM.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

3.5/5

Otto proves he could be great on his own if he could only get past his own screw-ups. However the misuse of the Avengers and the overall ending of Goblin Nation brought the score down.

Points goes to Slott for bringing back Miguel so that I can get another Spiderman 2099! Viva la 2099!

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    3.5/5

Otto proves he could be great on his own if he could only get past his own screw-ups. However the misuse of the Avengers and the overall ending of Goblin Nation brought the score down.

Points goes to Slott for bringing back Miguel so that I can get another Spiderman 2099! Viva la 2099!
    I agree with the Avengers point.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

To be fair the Avengers acted like the Avengers vs X-Men version of the Avengers so I let that pass.

All-New Member

I had a lot of fun with it, like most others I enjoyed the "what if" scenarios and like most others I am glad to see it end and get back our Parker.

I would say 4 stars. He did a good job with a wacky idea, but the ending for Otto was abrupt and felt rushed

Another reason I'm not too fond of the ending...I find it hard to believe that Otto is just gone...just like that. He went through quite the character development and I'm honestly afraid that he's gonna come back with all of that wiped clean.

3.5 out of 5. A very awkward beginning made up with a strong middle part, giving us a lot of good moments and an interesting view of Otto dealing with Peter's life and having a second chance at life. It also gave us Anna Maria Marconi, one of the better post-OMD side characters I've seen in the Spider books. The ending ended up falling a bit flat after all the buildup and excitement that came from Goblin Nation, doubling up with a epilogue that was straight-up annoying. What could've easily became just another middle finger to Spider-Man fans everywhere ended up being a flawed but fairly good story arc with it's own merit.

I really enjoyed Superior Spider-Man, and I think a lot of people did too when they gave it a chance. The biggest thing that disappointed me about BND was that there was nothing really new or ground breaking. All those stories told didn't really depend on Peter being single or not, heck they could be told in the 80s cause they were just like revisiting an old flavour you forgot about. Big Time was really the first step in that direction, and Superior was sprinting into that. The freedom Dan had in writing it, and the boundaries Otto would disregard were really the highlights of the plot. Once you got past the nastiness of Otto being in Peter's body, the story was really enjoyable. A lot of former writers applauded when they got rid of the marriage because they wanted to try something new, and this was really the first thing that was new.

This wasn't a perfect story, there were flaws in each issue from the characters, to how intense each issue could get. It really is 3.5/5, cause it is a good story, and it is one of the best Spider-Man stories in years. The only downside was Goblin Nation, cause it felt rushed and anticlimactic. It would've been a 4 had Goblin Nation been on the same level as the other arcs in Superior Spider-Man.

4/5 stars. Definitely Slott's best work on Spider-Man.

- Jason G. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    It also gave us Anna Maria Marconi, one of the better post-OMD side characters I've seen in the Spider books.
    I hope she sticks around. I am interested to see what happens with her since she knows Peter is Spider-Man and she found that ring.

Goblin Nation had potential but in the end felt rushed. Slott could've cut the symbiote story (which was like what, 3 issues?) and focused on Goblin Nation so we could see a more profound effect on Ock and Peter maybe try to solve it in at least 2 issues.

On a much more positive note

I loved the art and I loved Peter's comeback. SSM also brought a lot of new stuff that can be explored like Anna Maria and Spidey 2099 in 2014.
    Last edited by jgprime; 05-06-2014 at 07:17 PM.

He turned conventions upside down, he stirred things up and a kept things poppin', made some timely social commentary,
    and had a blast doing it and it showed.

At 50 years in this book needed something like that and they delivered.

Along with the art from three of the best artists in Marvel imo - Ramos / Stegman / Camunculli - this made it one of the best runs
    in the history of the book for me, it stands up there with the best of them.

And the fan reaction exploding over the internet was equally as entertaining imo. Priceless imo.