Thread: Trouble comic

Default Trouble comic

I have heard that this story was supposed to be canon at some point but when did they decanonize it? Did it happen before the series was even finished? In the last issue of the miniseries, we see Bucky Barnes as an old man, that clearly makes this story automatically an AU and not 616.

I guess Marvel saw the negative reaction to the previous issues and decided to add Bucky to the last issue to imply that the series is non-canon.
    Last edited by Ubauba01; 01-01-2024 at 11:50 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ubauba01 View Post
    I have heard that this story was supposed to be canon at some point but when did they decanonize it? Did it happen before the series was even finished? In the last issue of the miniseries, we see Bucky Barnes as an old man, that clearly makes this story automatically an AU and not 616.

I guess Marvel saw the negative reaction to the previous issues and decided to add Bucky to the last issue to imply that the series is non-canon.
    From my vague memory at the time, this mini… like Chapter One before it… was wildly unpopular while it was coming out. I think back then I posted on the now mostly dead Comicboards and absolutely no one defended it. I’m sure Jemas or Quesada tried to fan bait with claims in interviews at the time that it was canon, but this was ignored by the writers and spider-editors at the time. I can’t think of a specific moment it was “decanonized”, more like it was rejected by fans and even writers and other editors from the outset and the suits like Quesada and Jemas were just ignored when they claimed otherwise.
    Former CBR writer. See my old articles here.

After doing some digging, the Bucky cameo was apparently inspired by the Ultimate Universe version of Bucky, who survived WW2 and aged normally. So, it was probably written as a loose prequel to Ultimate Spider-Man.