Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Interested to see what we will see of Rogue in Ultimate X-Men with her featured on June's cover
    Make Good Art

Bear in mind, it's set in Japan, so she's race swapped. This Rogue won't be the southern belle we know from 616. Maybe she'll be more like her X-Men Evolution version?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I really enjoyed XTAS so far. While I do have some reservations in terms of Rogue’s story as of 1x02 (and am clinging to shreds of hope that we’re just being misdirected), everything else was such a joy and really has me hyped up. The animation is beautiful, the VA’s are fantastic, the action scenes were fun and well-choreographed, the music was great, the writing felt thoughtful and (mostly) true to character.

I’m still excited to see where the rest of the season takes us. Really glad they showed the absorption side of her powers, they’re so underutilized these days.

(Also hoping Val Cooper means we get some Mystique and Mystique/Rogue interaction!)

I was excited for Ultimate before even knowing Rogue was in it, just because I’m a fan of Peach, and it’s also insane that this is the first time we’re getting a Japanese woman writing an ongoing for this franchise, considering how much it loves to borrow from said culture while sidelining actual Japanese creatives and even characters (cough look no further than some of the current event covers). This is just the cherry on top.

Since it looks like Ultimate Rogue’s a kid, I doubt we’re getting any interaction with Shiro, but I’d still die for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Wish we'd gotten Carmen Carnero on the Rogue led book. Still one of the GOAT artists for Rogue.
    God, this went so hard.

I’m still in mourning over Marvel fumbling Kelly Thompson. I love Birds of Prey, but it’s bittersweet wondering what she could have done during Krakoa. Hoping politics in that office change and we see her being treated well and back on the X-books one day.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    https://twitter.com/GailSimone/statu...44039398215865

We should be getting some Nightcrawler and Rogue sibling energy in Uncanny.
    Everything she’s posted has made me more and more excited.

August is too long to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Bear in mind, it's set in Japan, so she's race swapped. This Rogue won't be the southern belle we know from 616. Maybe she'll be more like her X-Men Evolution version?
    Or her Exiles version
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

(crossposting from the Summer 2024 thread for Rogue posterity...). That fantastic early Jim Lee art inked by underrated Art Thibert - Scott Williams got all the inking glory with Lee art...

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    Here’s my favorite Rogue costume
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Can we really call that a costume? LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I have a strong suspicion we will end up seeing (probably a more modest version of) this in X-Men '97 when they explore Mags and Rogue's shared backstory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It hardly qualifies as outfit. Rather it's a "state of dress".

HOW IT STARTED...

HOW ITS GOING...
    Last edited by Thirteen; 03-23-2024 at 12:18 PM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

I'm soooo in love with the new '97 show, but I have to say one of the disappointments for me is Rogue. The re-design and unfortunately the voice acting can't hold a candle to the '92 version. Bless Lenore Zann, but she hasn't brought the ferocity that OG Rogue had. The twang is so strong now! Maybe it's not just Zann's voice (expectedly) changing after 30 years, but I kind of also suspect they asked her to play Rogue more coquettish/girly (because that would match the redesign). '92 Rogue was a powerhouse and I miss that. I guess we can't live in the past!

But the scene when Erik touched her hand and the little spark... that was amazing! And I don't even ship them at all. The animated expressions were perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    I'm soooo in love with the new '97 show, but I have to say one of the disappointments for me is Rogue. The re-design and unfortunately the voice acting can't hold a candle to the '92 version. Bless Lenore Zann, but she hasn't brought the ferocity that OG Rogue had. The twang is so strong now! Maybe it's not just Zann's voice (expectedly) changing after 30 years, but I kind of also suspect they asked her to play Rogue more coquettish/girly (because that would match the redesign). '92 Rogue was a powerhouse and I miss that. I guess we can't live in the past!

But the scene when Erik touched her hand and the little spark... that was amazing! And I don't even ship them at all. The animated expressions were perfect.
    Aw. That's a shame...
    I've liked it so far! The only thing against it is the same theme of boo hoo Ah can't fouch anyone... That **** got old in the 90's.

Granted, Lenore Zann's voice is a little iffy at times now, but to hell with it, Rogue is keeping secrets from Gambit and she's putting Sentinels in WWE wrestling moves.

I'm personally sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Why are they so hell-bent on keeping her in her 90's get-up? (that's a rhetorical question...I know why. I just doesn't make sense to me.)

I really hate the brown accessories. I can't help but think it would look so much better if they just stuck with a black and dark green scheme. Keep the military feel (since apparently giving her something completely new is unimaginable and impossible) but switch out the colours.
    My thoughts EXACTLY! Your comments in parenthesis got me hollering over here!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nox Noctes View Post
    Yes! Return of the hood!

Can't wait to see Rogue lead this team. The relationships/friendships between these members should make for some great banter and storylines.
    Big fan of the hood. I love how the hood can be hidden and used when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    Granted, Lenore Zann's voice is a little iffy at times now, but to hell with it, Rogue is keeping secrets from Gambit and she's putting Sentinels in WWE wrestling moves.

I'm personally sold.
    Right? That fight was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz View Post
    Ok, fellow Sugahs, the first 2 eps dropped. What do we think? Did we live?
    I loved hearing Lenore's voice again but I am sick of the same storyline for Roguey. That moment in ep 2 with you know who was intriguing, though. Can't wait for more!
    After nearly a week sitting on it, I... liked the portrayal. Rogue didn't get a large amount of focus, but when they used her it was fun mostly.

Pros
    - Rogue wears leggings with the pink mini-skirt (makes more sense)
    - Rogue siding with Wolverine and Gambit over Cyclops (the woman does not look being micro-managed)
    - Her fun little moments with Gambit, like at the club and during the basketball game. She held back, but Gambit still felt that stomach tap lol.
    - Her action scenes! Her knocking that Sentinel down and throwing it's head at another was great. Wish we'd seen her do more in the 2nd, but I can forgive it since she got another cool moment...
    - Loved that she used her absorption powers in a different way then was usually portrayed in the show. The only time I remember it was shown to absorb a skill, I think was when she touched a pilot before absorbing Ms Marvel (Carol).
    - Loved that Scott and Jean trusted Rogue to deliver Nathan. Also I get a kick out of the fact she kept get getting into conflict with the grown-up kid she helped deliver; on Muir Island and when she punched him in the face when he was on the roof.

Cons
    - Lenore Zann did sound a bit off in some lines, she's a legend and I love her but it's clear she's definitely been outta practice for awhile. Hopefully she gets more comfortable as it goes on.
    - Rogue barely had any interactions with anyone that was not a clear romantic interest. She can have drama, but that shouldn't be all her social interactions. At least we've seen Kurt in the previews, so this might get alieved to an extent, but I'm really hoping Rogue gets a plot beyond this. but considering it's only 10 episodes, I'm afraid of time constraints...
    - Bringing up the Rogneto plot... like I get it, they want to get people talking about the show and it is something that happens in the comics, but in the context of the show it doesn't make sense.
    - Where does this fit in the time-line and why did they act like they never knew each other every-time they fought? Rogue is a character that wears her heart on her sleeve, it's a lot of suspension of disbelief to me to buy that she kept this whole thing secret for years and never slipped up, especially since they fought Magneto regularly. Assuming they are going with some interpretation of Rogue meeting Magneto in the Savage Land, I don't mind the idea that Rogue and Magneto felt something in the Savage Land, but I am not comfortable if it went any further than that. She was both very young (18-20) and it weakens her legendary romance with Gambit by having all those dates and experiences as feeling new to her if she had something of that with Magneto. I don't like the structure of his narratively, it works better with how Carey framed the relationship between Rogue and Magneto as something that was wistful in the 90s but only fully realized physically until after Rogue and Gambit had broken up for the nth time. IIRC Gambit frames it as fantasy for her to "get out of her system" basically, which I think works and feels less predatory for Magneto's character.

But yea, it's mostly positives with one moderately big negative. Still very much looking forward to the show, just cautious about how they're gonna handle her character. Poor Romy fans have gone through enough...
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 03-25-2024 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    After nearly a week sitting on it, I... liked the portrayal. Rogue didn't get a large amount of focus, but when they used her it was fun mostly.

Pros
    - Rogue wears leggings with the pink mini-skirt (makes more sense)
    - Rogue siding with Wolverine and Gambit over Cyclops (the woman does not look being micro-managed)
    - Her fun little moments with Gambit, like at the club and during the basketball game. She held back, but Gambit still felt that stomach tap lol.
    - Her action scenes! Her knocking that Sentinel down and throwing it's head at another was great. Wish we'd seen her do more in the 2nd, but I can forgive it since she got another cool moment...
    - Loved that she used her absorption powers in a different way then was usually portrayed in the show. The only time I remember it was shown to absorb a skill, I think was when she touched a pilot before absorbing Ms Marvel (Carol).
    - Loved that Scott and Jean trusted Rogue to deliver Nathan. Also I get a kick out of the fact she kept get getting into conflict with the grown-up kid she helped deliver; on Muir Island and when she punched him in the face when he was on the roof.

Cons
    - Lenore Zann did sound a bit off in some lines, she's a legend and I love her but it's clear she's definitely been outta practice for awhile. Hopefully she gets more comfortable as it goes on.
    - Rogue barely had any interactions with anyone that was not a clear romantic interest. She can have drama, but that shouldn't be all her social interactions. At least we've seen Kurt in the previews, so this might get alieved to an extent, but I'm really hoping Rogue gets a plot beyond this. but considering it's only 10 episodes, I'm afraid of time constraints...
    - Bringing up the Rogneto plot... like I get it, they want to get people talking about the show and it is something that happens in the comics, but in the context of the show it doesn't make sense.
    - Where does this fit in the time-line and why did they act like they never knew each other every-time they fought? Rogue is a character that wears her heart on her sleeve, it's a lot of suspension of disbelief to me to buy that she kept this whole thing secret for years and never slipped up, especially since they fought Magneto regularly. Assuming they are going with some interpretation of Rogue meeting Magneto in the Savage Land, I don't mind the idea that Rogue and Magneto felt something in the Savage Land, but I am not comfortable if it went any further than that. She was both very young (18-20) and it weakens her legendary romance with Gambit by having all those dates and experiences as feeling new to her if she had something of that with Magneto. I don't like the structure of his narratively, it works better with how Carey framed the relationship between Rogue and Magneto as something that was wistful in the 90s but only fully realized physically until after Rogue and Gambit had broken up for the nth time. IIRC Gambit frames it as fantasy for her to "get out of her system" basically, which I think works and feels less predatory for Magneto's character.

But yea, it's mostly positives with one moderately big negative. Still very much looking forward to the show, just cautious about how they're gonna handle her character. Poor Romy fans have gone through enough...
    So far, I would say that your points are extremely valid on both sides.
    She does sound off at times, but, for the most part, I loved it!

Spectacular Member CamilleMoineau's Avatar

One of the hosts of the Cyclops is Waiting for Me podcast (a recap show of all the animated series) mentioned that when they did the showing of the episodes at, I want to say, ComicCon, the voice sounded closer to what it was for TAS. So I think it's technical modification that's part of the problem besides Lenore being 30 years older.
    “Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds