Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sbo View Post
    Tell me about it. If WW and SG, etc. can have an ongoing , no reason Rogue shouldn't. She has 10X the personality of most of the other characters who have had solos.
    Her powerset also makes her a rather good choice for an action video game, seeing how she allready has the whole "megaman" style power absorption going for her, which would allow various styles of gameplay.

For example only boss powers are permanently retained, but draw from an slowly regenerating energy supply, while powers from mooks don't draw from it but are only retained temporarily. Essentialy encouraging player to be flexible and mix and match what they are given in encounters, until the endgame where they can let lose when she essentialy has assembled the Ms. Marvel style powerset.
    Last edited by Grunty; 02-21-2024 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I think any Rogue mini or solo needs to balance humor, seriousness and vulnerability. Howard Mackie and Kelly Thompson got that, Rogue's a layered character so she should show different sides of herself.

Rogue should definitely be a big threat. I actually had the thought the other day of what type of villain might match Rogue's energy and I think got a few ideas.

• someone theatrical with WWE vibes would be a nice contrast. Sorta like Trish Stratus (WWE) or Titania if she wasn't so Hulk franchise tied.
    • someone from Rogue's past or hometown be a contrast, maybe a sibling of Cody's or someone Mystique had asked her to get rid of similar to Carol. She was with Mystique and Destiny for a fair part of her life, who knows how many enemies she really made during that time, the important thing is to make it feel personal. We know Rogue's powers can be traumatic ala Carol and Cody already.
    • since fear is a big theme regarding control of her power, a character that taps into her fears would also not be a bad idea. Maybe with a powerset similar to Polaris negative-emotion draining power that gave her super-strength and durability. So they get stronger the more vulnerable Rogue is, like an emotional vampire.

Going off on that, I'd love Rogue and Gambit to visit Mississippi or Louisiana more often and encounter maybe some country-coded villains. I'm thinking like True Blood vibes in terms of atmosphere, very murky and mysterious, those areas can be very beautiful and I think is really underrated as a backdrop for a story. I loved that episode in X-Men Evolution, where Rogue helps Gambit rescue his family in the New Orleans cul-de-sac / bayou iirc. Hashtag, get Marvel superheroes out of New York 90% of the time

I would love to see Thompson write another Rogue book. I think she struck that balance you were talking about, and seems to understand Rogue's personality.

Good villain ideas, we need to see some more of Rogue's past come back to haunt her. The negative emotion villain would definitely be cool.

Also thinking someone with a like Stunner (spidey villain) type power/tech. Virtual reality contraption that gives them super powers, but would leave them immune to Rogue's absorption since they're not really there.

and Powerhouse, I've mentioned her before because she seems like such a natural foe for Rogue, and she's barely been utilized. Just need a good back story to link the two, with the similar hair and powerset, that shouldn't be too hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Her powerset also makes her a rather good choice for an action video game, seeing how she allready has the whole "megaman" style power absorption going for her, which would allow various styles of gameplay.

For example only boss powers are permanently retained, but draw from an slowly regenerating energy supply, while powers from mooks don't draw from it but are only retained temporarily. Essentialy encouraging player to be flexible and mix and match what they are given in encounters, until the endgame where they can let lose when she essentialy has assembled the Ms. Marvel style powerset.
    I haven't played any of the new games, but back when X-Men vs SF came out, I used Rogue al the time

Quote Originally Posted by sbo View Post
    I would love to see Thompson write another Rogue book. I think she struck that balance you were talking about, and seems to understand Rogue's personality.

Good villain ideas, we need to see some more of Rogue's past come back to haunt her. The negative emotion villain would definitely be cool.

Also thinking someone with a like Stunner (spidey villain) type power/tech. Virtual reality contraption that gives them super powers, but would leave them immune to Rogue's absorption since they're not really there.

and Powerhouse, I've mentioned her before because she seems like such a natural foe for Rogue, and she's barely been utilized. Just need a good back story to link the two, with the similar hair and powerset, that shouldn't be too hard to do.
    Thinking about it, an android could be a scary villain for her. Similar concept of it has power, but she can't absorb it. Or at least not fully, her interaction with R.O.M was questionable. Anyway, she fights Sentinels all the time and technically Karima is kinda what I'm thinking, but I meant more like the androids from DBZ. Someone with a more human appearance and personality like Android 17, 18 or even a monstrous one like Cell. also DCs Parasite from My Adventures of Superman had a similar look to Cell I think

Mugan flashbacks, clearly my thinly veiled attempt to bring 18 vs Rogue to life in the books lul

Technically they do have the Reavers and Omega Sentinels to fill that niche anyway, but those tend to be bit more obvious then how the Androids could just blend in.

But I like the powered by tech idea. Alternatively, a magic-powered villain could also be fun. Maybe another Juggernaut / cytorakk user? I know Cain is basically redeemed, but whose to say there can't be another one. Rogue having a personal villain that is a gem-user could be fun.

Powerhouse! Yes, I think she'd be a fun villain because they have a lot of appearance and power overlap. A big white streak, the lightning emblems reminiscent of Captain Marvels old costume or alternatively Storm, the flying brick power-set with absorption capabilities... honestly the similarities kinda give off chimera vibes tbh. We don't know a lot about her origins, maybe she could be connected to Sinister? IDK maybe that is a reach lol. Though she has been portrayed as a bit weak, she basically got owned by Beast and Wolverine iirc, as been pointed out to me before. So she'd need a power up ironically.

But yeah, she's a fun character I'd love to see Rogue interact with as a antagonist or maybe even ally.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 02-22-2024 at 07:41 AM.

Yes, because we needed to explain that Rogue in X-Men: TAS always had a flat ass.

You know, I don't usually get embarrassed about collecting comic books, especially since I love to geek out about hypothetical situations like "who can fight who" but when we have ridicilous conversations like this in the fandom... it's not an agenda, art is just inconsistent due to perspective. It's not that serious. T_T

But honestly, it's one of things of people trying to find something to be mad about because they have preconceived notions about a project and I think this one of those times sadly.

You know, I don't usually get embarrassed about collecting comic books, especially since I love to geek out about hypothetical situations like "who can fight who" but when we have ridicilous conversations like this in the fandom... it's not an agenda, art is just inconsistent due to perspective. It's not that serious. T_T

But honestly, it's one of things of people trying to find something to be mad about because they have preconceived notions about a project and I think this one of those times sadly.
    My lord, seriously. I am so annoyed with the fake outrage over Rogue's bum as if that's the most important thing about her or we can even derive anything from a single camera angle.

As for true adversaries, I agree 100%. Rogue needs a new one. For such a long time I would have said that was Carol. They were equally matched and it was so deeply personal. Hopefully we'll see this happen in X-Men'97 or MCU because Rogue's villainous origins as being an angry teen manipulated by her mothers is so quintessential to me for who she is as a character, as was her heel turn.

Now that she and Carol are on good terms in the comics, we need someone with whom there's an equally deep personal vendetta and they have to match her or throw her in some way.

I do like the idea of revisiting Rogue's past with Raven and Irene. Maybe there was someone else who has a grudge against her? There's also still a huge mystery around her biological family and I'd love to see that straightened out. Like was Rogue born as a mutant as a de novo event or was one of her parents secretly a mutant? That solo needs someone to come and fix it.

And didn't the High Evolutionary allude to there being something "special" about Rogue's parentage?

Much as I adore Rogue's first solo (I love it), I agree it was a bit too much about Gambit's past and the characters associated with him. It was truly an extension of his first solo. And again, she patched things up with Belladonna.

I'd love to see KT back of course! Also pretty curious what Gail has in store for us!

Just truly thrilled to see Rogue back in the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    My lord, seriously. I am so annoyed with the fake outrage over Rogue's bum as if that's the most important thing about her or we can even derive anything from a single camera angle.
    For real! Rogue won over so many people with her sass, charm and tragic backstory. It's deriding to reduce her to one meme even if it is funny at times, especially when animation and art was always so iffy at times due to budget and time constraints.

Maybe it's because we're comic book fans and we're so used to looking at different artist interpretations (e.g Clay Mann vs Chris Bachalo), but getting so upset about something like seems so strange to me. But yeah I do think it's more about wanting to be outraged than the actual technicalities behind it.

As for true adversaries, I agree 100%. Rogue needs a new one. For such a long time I would have said that was Carol. They were equally matched and it was so deeply personal. Hopefully we'll see this happen in X-Men'97 or MCU because Rogue's villainous origins as being an angry teen manipulated by her mothers is so quintessential to me for who she is as a character, as was her heel turn.
    I really do hope Marvel are building toward that. Cap vs Iron Man was one thing, but this story is so deeply personal and affects both characters for basically the rest of their histories. It's tragic but moving.

I dislike that Marvel started off with an amnesia plot in the first Carol movie, because it's going to take away or undermine some of the emotional impact once Carol starts to regain hers after the attack but can't feel an emotional connection to it. Those I suppose they could skip that plot point but...

Now that she and Carol are on good terms in the comics, we need someone with whom there's an equally deep personal vendetta and they have to match her or throw her in some way.

I do like the idea of revisiting Rogue's past with Raven and Irene. Maybe there was someone else who has a grudge against her? There's also still a huge mystery around her biological family and I'd love to see that straightened out. Like was Rogue born as a mutant as a de novo event or was one of her parents secretly a mutant? That solo needs someone to come and fix it.

And didn't the High Evolutionary allude to there being something "special" about Rogue's parentage?

Much as I adore Rogue's first solo (I love it), I agree it was a bit too much about Gambit's past and the characters associated with him. It was truly an extension of his first solo. And again, she patched things up with Belladonna.
    Exactly, I'm sure Mystique and Destiny caused a ton of havoc while raising Rogue. What they did Carol surely couldn't have been the only person they were after, especially since both should be more concerned with anti-mutant organizations and enemies. I think that's an easy background to pull an antagonist from that can serve as a challenge or foil for Rogue in present times.

I wish editors had a backlog of issues they assigned to writers to read in order to get the key points of a characters development, because if Stephanie Phillips is any indication; either they don't or it's a bad list lol.

And yes, I did remember Evolutionary saying something akin to that and how weirdly Wonder Man bonded to her. I did wonder if before Rogue's solo if maybe Rogue was biologically related Marvel villain and that's why she never wanted to reveal her real name. It would be so like Mystique to adopt another villain's kid lol. Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case, unless her father got a whole new identity that we don't know about.

I'd love to see KT back of course! Also pretty curious what Gail has in store for us!

Just truly thrilled to see Rogue back in the spotlight.
    Hoping Gail isn't just setting us up, because I'm buying into those hints so hard at this point. Don't break my Rogue fan heart Gail!

But yes, it'll be fun to see the fandom revitalized again with all the new content, it's been too long.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Personally, I am really tired of the "Rogue butt shot" memes. They stopped being funny even before all of the outrage with the new trailer and now it's hard to parse who is making memes about it for humor or because they are genuinely mad about it.
    Make Good Art

Oh! I had another thought regarding a cool villain they could try for Rogue, that's sorta tailor-made for her.

So the Carol persona... I'm surprised more of the "ghosts" that Rogue has in her head haven't gone rogue more often. I guess it's a good sign that she is a good mental health space and has better control of her powers.

But if you are a writer that wants to give Rogue a personal challenge, that is ripe ground.

It's the classic, "losing control of your own bodily autonomy" and "evil twin" trope wrapped up in one. It's also really popular, with stories like Doc Ock possessing Spider-Man and Buffy and Faith switching bodies in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

They could set it up as a villain Rogue absorbed intentionally let themselves get absorbed, then have the personality slowly take over Rogue's own body with Rogue forgetting hours or even days of her own memory. Or the personality could grow from within her own mind, as multiple villainous personalities assimilate to become their own 'being'. It honestly sounds like a really fun story to write, so have at it Marvel. (in the unlikely event anyone from there reads this lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Personally, I am really tired of the "Rogue butt shot" memes. They stopped being funny even before all of the outrage with the new trailer and now it's hard to parse who is making memes about it for humor or because they are genuinely mad about it.
    True, fans did basically run it into the ground as they do most memes. I do hope that more casual fans don't get it into their heads that all Rogue is, is that meme. She's a beloved character for a reason.

Oh! I had another thought regarding a cool villain they could try for Rogue, that's sorta tailor-made for her.

So the Carol persona... I'm surprised more of the "ghosts" that Rogue has in her head haven't gone rogue more often. I guess it's a good sign that she is a good mental health space and has better control of her powers.

But if you are a writer that wants to give Rogue a personal challenge, that is ripe ground.

It's the classic, "losing control of your own bodily autonomy" and "evil twin" trope wrapped up in one. It's also really popular, with stories like Doc Ock possessing Spider-Man and Buffy and Faith switching bodies in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

They could set it up as a villain Rogue absorbed intentionally let themselves get absorbed, then have the personality slowly take over Rogue's own body with Rogue forgetting hours or even days of her own memory. Or the personality could grow from within her own mind, as multiple villainous personalities assimilate to become their own 'being'. It honestly sounds like a really fun story to write, so have at it Marvel. (in the unlikely event anyone from there reads this lol)
    Oh, I like! Geez ... LOL ... now I'm thinking, can we use that as the reasoning for some of the weird hot/cold personality moments we've seen from Rogue? Like especially in that cursed volume 2 of Rogue & Gambit by Phillips.

Like whenever she has been acting weirdly out of character due to bad writing in the Krakoan era, we could chalk it up to the evil personality slowly taking over.

You could truly pull so many powerful opponents from her past who may have left a fragment. Though it would probably have to be someone she has absorbed since after the Hectacomb when Hope basically cleared her out?

I especially like the notion of a villain devious enough to get absorbed on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Oh, I like! Geez ... LOL ... now I'm thinking, can we use that as the reasoning for some of the weird hot/cold personality moments we've seen from Rogue? Like especially in that cursed volume 2 of Rogue & Gambit by Phillips.

Like whenever she has been acting weirdly out of character due to bad writing in the Krakoan era, we could chalk it up to the evil personality slowly taking over.

You could truly pull so many powerful opponents from her past who may have left a fragment. Though it would probably have to be someone she has absorbed since after the Hectacomb when Hope basically cleared her out?

I especially like the notion of a villain devious enough to get absorbed on purpose.
    Yea, they could definitely go that way if they wanted to. I wouldn't because it kinda acts like a "get out jail" free card for writers who just had bad characterization of her, but I guess you can tell based on how they write other characters.

Though... I guess Tini Howard technically would have had an opportunity. Like if we saw any negative impact from her killing Apocalypse, that would be the right time, where you could argue maybe a personality had influenced her. I say maybe, because I kinda see Rogue herself doing it either way lol.

But yes, it's a fun concept that has a lot of potential. Now the question is will we see any writer think this hard about giving Rogue a compelling villain? pls gail

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z
    Rogue by Jhony Caballero.
    Like this one! I feel like it combines elements of 80s punk Rogue and 90s Rogue nicely.

The Children of the Vault were Rogue´s first personal villians remenber they wanted to behead her in theirs city

Pandemic would be another. Powerhouse would be hella fun. Amalgam could be interesting only to see how Rogue would react to her...
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah