Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

This is probably the best Wonder Woman fight since Medusa in Rucka's first run, or the one with Barbara in Perez's run.

~I just keep swimming through these threads~

I really like the contrast between how Grail trumpets how she’s powerful and special because of who her father is, while Diana of course emphasizes her mother. It’s a contrast that I hope to see expanded on.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Well Diana doesn’t have a father to emphasize. ;P
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    This is probably the best Wonder Woman fight since Medusa in Rucka's first run, or the one with Barbara in Perez's run.
    It reminded me of her fight with Genocide from Simone's run.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

actually impressed with this one. Nice.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

These Jimenez designs are so iconic & awesome!
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Was thinking about Grail and it just clicked for me what King is doing deliberately or not: Grail works as the Zod/Bane evil mirror foe for Dina because she’s what people often think Diana is. She’s a bloodthirsty warrior who loves fighting, empowers herself by putting others down, is strong because of her father, serves as the enforcer for a male authority figure like Injustice WW, and has no problem “doing whatever it takes” (killing) to achieve her goals. Chalk it up to Johns making Grail as close to New 52 WW as possible - which was already a dark deviation from classic WW - and you’ve got a character who actually reflects all the core elements of Wonder Woman in a twisted way. Her mother doesn’t matter at all, for all her power she’s constantly doing the bidding of men, despite existing outside the status quo of Man’s World she has no problem reinforcing it to suit her own selfish needs, and while the rest of the Amazons are exiled, outlawed, or dead, Grail is allying with the very person who has ordered the deaths of her “sisters”.

She’s an “evil WW” in ways beyond just being a literal bad Amazon, she’s a strong female character who embodies all the worst aspects of Man’s World and helps push back against those who want to change it for the better like Diana. She’s the status quo enforcer to Diana’s rebel. Grail is a “Wonder Woman” who totally would go around collecting peoples heads as war trophies the way Snyder wanted DCEU WW to be, and I like that Diana now has a foe who embodies all the terrible takes people have on her, and she can punch that person in the face. Hope King keeps building her up, Grail has thematic potential now to serve as a contrast in ways that go beyond mere physicality (though I certainly want more fights between her and Diana).
    Last edited by Vordan; 02-23-2024 at 01:56 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Gotta say there's a LOT of potential for stories with an Atlantean monarch as an enemy.

Also these teams are pretty neat to compare. both have a magic user, both have a cyborg, and both have someone with massive physical strength.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

One thing that I thought was odd about Phil's Villainy Inc. team was that half of the members were Donna's foes but Villainy Inc. never ended up fighting Donna in his run.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    One thing that I thought was odd about Phil's Villainy Inc. team was that half of the members were Donna's foes but Villainy Inc. never ended up fighting Donna in his run.
    good point. You'd think it'd at least be a team-up...

Where is this from, please? It sees like a good reference to have.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Was thinking about Grail and it just clicked for me what King is doing deliberately or not: Grail works as the Zod/Bane evil mirror foe for Dina because she’s what people often think Diana is. She’s a bloodthirsty warrior who loves fighting, empowers herself by putting others down, is strong because of her father, serves as the enforcer for a male authority figure like Injustice WW, and has no problem “doing whatever it takes” (killing) to achieve her goals. Chalk it up to Johns making Grail as close to New 52 WW as possible - which was already a dark deviation from classic WW - and you’ve got a character who actually reflects all the core elements of Wonder Woman in a twisted way. Her mother doesn’t matter at all, for all her power she’s constantly doing the bidding of men, despite existing outside the status quo of Man’s World she has no problem reinforcing it to suit her own selfish needs, and while the rest of the Amazons are exiled, outlawed, or dead, Grail is allying with the very person who has ordered the deaths of her “sisters”.

She’s an “evil WW” in ways beyond just being a literal bad Amazon, she’s a strong female character who embodies all the worst aspects of Man’s World and helps push back against those who want to change it for the better like Diana. She’s the status quo enforcer to Diana’s rebel. Grail is a “Wonder Woman” who totally would go around collecting peoples heads as war trophies the way Snyder wanted DCEU WW to be, and I like that Diana now has a foe who embodies all the terrible takes people have on her, and she can punch that person in the face. Hope King keeps building her up, Grail has thematic potential now to serve as a contrast in ways that go beyond mere physicality (though I certainly want more fights between her and Diana).
    That's kind of what I was expecting the rogue Amazon Emelie from the opening to be, even had a version of the New 52 armor if King wanted to get meta.