Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Probably more that I doubt really anyone watched the three enough to give them a vote.

Though Super Friends Cheetah might low-key be the best adaptation if it weren't for BTAB.
    Been such a long time since I have seen Super Friends so might have to rewatch because I can't remember anything about Cheetah except that she was there.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    And therein lies the problem: it's quite evident that very few writers give a single you-know-what about Queen Clea. Therefore, her lore, connections to other characters, backstory and potential remain untouched, unexplored, ignored, wasted. Even the writers who are interested in WW show zero interest in Diana's ocean-dwelling villain. I guess nobody but some of us WW fans see the untapped potential in Clea. That's how characters become celebrated, acclaimed and popular: when writers write them, stories use them, and companies push/nurture them.
    Oh well. It's what it is, I guess.
    The angle of being lesser royalty is interesting. Aquaman tends to focus on Atlantis proper, but we know there's several of the underwater cities. Venturia is just one of several. Mera comes from Xebel, otherwise we'd not hear about Xebel either!

Quote Originally Posted by Skytten View Post
    Been such a long time since I have seen Super Friends so might have to rewatch because I can't remember anything about Cheetah except that she was there.
    Cheetah in Superfriends pulled off one of the absolute best villain victories.

And this Cheetah is apparently Priscilla Rich... the one with no powers.
    Last edited by marhawkman; 03-07-2024 at 08:40 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It's amusing that despite being dismissed as silly and in needing of the Barbara Minerva revamp, Priscilla has the best track record among the Cheetahs and is easier to take seriously as a villain than Barbara is half the time. With a more clear cut motivation

Don't mess with the original, I guess

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's amusing that despite being dismissed as silly and in needing of the Barbara Minerva revamp, Priscilla has the best track record among the Cheetahs and is easier to take seriously as a villain than Barbara is half the time. With a more clear cut motivation

Don't mess with the original, I guess
    How is Priscilla easier to take seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How is Priscilla easier to take seriously?
    Her "Justice" look would be easier to translate to live action than the human-cat hybrid was for Barbara, at least based on the execution we got.

Barbara being mainly used as a physical threat while being physically transformed into a beast just leaves things open for writers to reduce her to a dumb animal instead of a schemer. Plus look at Priscilla's track record. She's used far less now, but when she is, she defeats Superman and temporarily succeeds in her goal of killing Diana

Her "Justice" look would be easier to translate to live action than the human-cat hybrid was for Barbara, at least based on the execution we got.

Barbara being mainly used as a physical threat while being physically transformed into a beast just leaves things open for writers to reduce her to a dumb animal instead of a schemer. Plus look at Priscilla's track record. She's used far less now, but when she is, she defeats Superman and temporarily succeeds in her goal of killing Diana
    Alex Ross' Priscilla was just a beast. Pun thoroughly intended. Her look is seductively cinematic, creepy and memorable. As much as I enjoy the animalistic Minerva, Ross' Cheetah should be, IMO, the one that the DCU uses.

None of the Cheetah adaptations have really made a big deal over the actual identity of the Cheetah to say one version is inherently superior the other.

Tbh, I doubt most comic readers would even be aware there's been more than one Cheetah.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    None of the Cheetah adaptations have really made a big deal over the actual identity of the Cheetah to say one version is inherently superior the other.

Tbh, I doubt most comic readers would even be aware there's been more than one Cheetah.
    Even so, the ones modeled after Priscilla have been treated way better than the ones that take their cues from Barbara, with the exception of DC Superhero Girls (who still is obvious riffing on a lot of Priscilla)

Even so, the ones modeled after Priscilla have been treated way better than the ones that take their cues from Barbara, with the exception of DC Superhero Girls (who still is obvious riffing on a lot of Priscilla)
    Probably has less to do with the character and more to do with the creative team.

Also, I think the design makes a difference. People see a were-Cheetah and assume she's feral and that her powers are proportional to actual Cheetah's and not at the same level as WW. But if it's a woman in a cat onsie, then you naturally assume she might need a buff.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Probably has less to do with the character and more to do with the creative team.

Also, I think the design makes a difference. People see a were-Cheetah and assume she's feral and that her powers are proportional to actual Cheetah's and not at the same level as WW. But if it's a woman in a cat onsie, then you naturally assume she might need a buff.
    Doesn't that have to do with the character though? Priscilla is the one in the costume, so she gets the benefit of creators feeling the need to think outside the box to give her a boost. Barbara is the beast, so she gets treated like one with rare exceptions like JL: Doom

And the one with Priscilla usually hail as the best, BTAB, also involved juicing her up with mythology associated with Barbara (Urzkataga).

Like I said, I doubt any of the people who actually work on Cheetah in adaptations, especially in the animation department, really care all that much about there being multiple Cheetahs. Like how no one actually cares about Clayface also being a title with multiple claimants.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Alex Ross' Priscilla was just a beast. Pun thoroughly intended. Her look is seductively cinematic, creepy and memorable. As much as I enjoy the animalistic Minerva, Ross' Cheetah should be, IMO, the one that the DCU uses.

I totally agree! Ross' Cheetah in Justice was the best portrayal of the character in the comics to date IMO. She really gave Diana a run for her money and put her within an inch of her life. Plus, her civilian and villain attires were phenomenal.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Last edited by Gaius; 03-07-2024 at 10:23 PM.

Fantastic Member

Interested to see what DeConnick will do with Ares in Historia seeing as he seemed to be the "nicest" of the male greek gods.