Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

It's a shame that the producers of the TV show back in the '70s stopped using the source material after the first three episodes. There was an opportunity to introduce characters like Priscilla Rich, Dr. Psycho and Angle Man to television audiences like the "Batman" show had done with The Joker, Penguin, Catwoman and Riddler a decade earlier. However, I think the shadow of the "Batman" TV show still lingered over any comic book projects of that time and the producers probably thought the idea of putting an actress in a cheetah print cat suit would be crossing over into "Batman" territory. Every times I watch the "Beauty on Parade" episode from season 1, I always think that the actress who played Rita would have made a great Priscilla Rich!

Mighty Member

You know, the 70's show not using source material characters was definitely a problem. I do think media adaptations needed to use Wonder Woman's rogues more in order for them to get some action. Giganta and Cheetah had Superfriends which pretty much was the kingmaker when it comes to Wonder Woman's rogues.

I do think that when it comes to Cheetah, making her a legacy character did kind of hurt her a bit when it comes to the arch enemy status. Trump Lex Luthor was pretty different character from mad scientist Luthor. They just managed to merge the two into the complete character after a bit. I'm wondering why this wasn't done with Cheetah, with them making at least 3 new characters with the mantle.

Also, when it comes to Dr Cyber do you prefer the comic booky name "Cylvia Cyber" or the more normal sounding yet still alliterative name "Adrianna Anderson"?

Quote Originally Posted by Skytten View Post
    Interested to see what DeConnick will do with Ares in Historia seeing as he seemed to be the "nicest" of the male greek gods.
    I like to think Jimenez realized no one was every gonna top Perez's armored design so he just did a 180 on the design and have him almost no armor at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Also, when it comes to Dr Cyber do you prefer the comic booky name "Cylvia Cyber" or the more normal sounding yet still alliterative name "Adrianna Anderson"?
    If you were to vocally ask the average comic book fan who 'Victor Fries' is, they are going to tell you "Mister Freeze" Likewise for Pamela Isley, Harleen Quinzel, and Joe Kerr.

However if you ask them who Johnathan Crane is, your more likely to get "Oh is that the brother from Frasier?"

Cylvia Cyber is an identifiable name and leaves an impression. With a little exposure, its the sort of name that would stand the test of time.

Adrianna Andersons a nice alliterative name that rolls off the tongue, but its also one thats kinda forgetable. (also a minion hologram villain will never be as interesting as a hammy mastermind with aims of world conquest)

Adrianna Anderson sounds reasonably plausible, Cylvia Cyber sounds like a made up alias. The spelling especially makes too overwrought and theatrical to be authentic.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Still waiting for the day when Cheetah is able to transform between forms

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Still waiting for the day when Cheetah is able to transform between forms
    Didn't the New Earth Cheetah have that ability temporarily?

She could transform at will as a gift from Circe during Heinberg's run.

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    It's a shame that the producers of the TV show back in the '70s stopped using the source material after the first three episodes. There was an opportunity to introduce characters like Priscilla Rich, Dr. Psycho and Angle Man to television audiences like the "Batman" show had done with The Joker, Penguin, Catwoman and Riddler a decade earlier. However, I think the shadow of the "Batman" TV show still lingered over any comic book projects of that time and the producers probably thought the idea of putting an actress in a cheetah print cat suit would be crossing over into "Batman" territory. Every times I watch the "Beauty on Parade" episode from season 1, I always think that the actress who played Rita would have made a great Priscilla Rich!
    Ironically (IMO), as much as the Adam West/Burt Ward Batman show is oftentimes derided by modern Batman fans as a "lesser" Batman product (I disagree), it certainly had a huge role in embedding many of Batman's less known rogues into the fabric of pop culture. If I were a Batman fan, I would absolutely appreciate what that TV series did. Lynda's WW series could've easily introduced people like Priscilla Rich, Dr. Poison, Angle Man, Psycho and Hypnota. None of them required costly FX. Heck even Circe could've worked without showing magic blasts or crazy ass special effects. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    If you were to vocally ask the average comic book fan who 'Victor Fries' is, they are going to tell you "Mister Freeze" Likewise for Pamela Isley, Harleen Quinzel, and Joe Kerr.

However if you ask them who Johnathan Crane is, your more likely to get "Oh is that the brother from Frasier?"

Cylvia Cyber is an identifiable name and leaves an impression. With a little exposure, its the sort of name that would stand the test of time.

Adrianna Andersons a nice alliterative name that rolls off the tongue, but its also one thats kinda forgetable. (also a minion hologram villain will never be as interesting as a hammy mastermind with aims of world conquest)
    Agreed.
    Plus, if a writer wanted to evoke/homage Cyber's OG "real" comic book name and still sound more plausible for modern readers, they could use the still alliterative Sylvia Sybert (both of which are actual names that exist; the latter is a variant of Siebert). I really think that this could work. I don't mind Adrianna Anderson, but to me, Sylvia Sybert would be a more memorable name for a comic book villain.
    I am one of those people that appreciate plausibility in my comic books as long as it still has a sprinkling of whimsy and the enhanced reality that comic books should always have, imo.
    They are comic books after all, not real life texts.
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 03-10-2024 at 05:05 AM.

As I question lack of WW villains in YJ elsewhere and seeing multiple people use Geoffs infamous line to justify...I just have to laugh at so many people outting themselves for never reading WW.

And of course the other go to "this isnt her show"

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    As I question lack of WW villains in YJ elsewhere and seeing multiple people use Geoffs infamous line to justify...I just have to laugh at so many people outting themselves for never reading WW.

And of course the other go to "this isnt her show"
    YJ might actually be the worst shared universe when it comes to WW's lore. Even Injustice has a decent version of Cheetah at least.

Being a Wonder Woman fan is wild. She's well known enough most people know her but man if you ask for anything in the way of more solo adaptations/better representation than an avalanche will come out of nowhere saying we need to give more obscure characters a spotlight and need to stop being so selfish.

Like when the game got announced and the whining of people hoping for it to be a backdoor for other DC characters to show up ("why no Superman game") . Or how 2 solo movies after 80 years means we need to take a break from WW in the DCU.
    Last edited by Gaius; 03-10-2024 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    YJ might actually be the worst shared universe when it comes to WW's lore. Even Injustice has a decent version of Cheetah at least.
    Not hard to do when only 1 shows up lol.

I love GW and BV, they make great tv and do good at world building for the most part but the exclusion of most of WW-verse was a choice and changing Devastation into a pure brute was....interesting choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Being a Wonder Woman fan is wild. She's well known enough most people know her but man if you ask for anything in the way of more solo adaptations/better representation than an avalanche will come out of nowhere saying we need to give more obscure characters a spotlight and need to stop being so selfish.

Like when the game got announced and the whining of people hoping for it to be a backdoor for other DC characters to show up ("why no Superman game?"). Or how 2 solo movies after 80 years means we need to take a break from WW in the DCU.
    And then they'll whine that Superman is mistreated and its been 10 years since his last solo movie and how he never got a sequel but they totally ignore his live action tv show and animated series.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 03-10-2024 at 10:09 AM.