Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    One of the nice things about English is that its vocabulary is rich in synonyms. This lets you choose just the right word among several possibilities with subtle (usually implied) differences in meaning, and it lets you pick a different word if you have used the same word too many times in the same paragraph or if it sounds awkward in a particular sentence (such as if it is surrounded by other words that sound too much like it). What I don't like is using an uncommon or lengthy word or a phrase needlessly when a simple word means exactly the same thing, for instance as when people say "at this point in time" rather than "now".
    I always loved that the French word for “now” is “maintenant”. By the time you’ve finished saying it the moment has probably passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    There are at least two types of English. One sometimes referred to as Low English or Common English or Working Class English. You can also call it everyday English.

The Other is sometimes called High English or Academic English or Professional English or Upper Class English. That is when you are trying to sound impressive.

[In this day and age I suspect that there are a number of other variations].
    I’ve not heard of any of those, but in UK Private schools the pupils are taught Latin and encouraged to use Latin loan-words in regular speech as a signifier of high status (you can hear this is literally any clip of Boris Johnson speaking). English is a language that has class baked into it in a sense - if you’re posh you might plump for the Latin “regal”, for the middle class there’s the more French infused “royal”, and for the cloth-capped proletarians we have the perfectly fine “kingly” from Old English. And there are plenty of similar examples.

Astonishing Member

I like it when a language has so many different words for just one thing. You can choose what you want to use.

The German language is becoming more and more English. People use so many English words, they forget how to use there native ones.

" Bro" as an example is used for everyone, friend, stranger or enemy....totally wrong for my taste. If you need to use it, just say it to your best friend, or your brother.

" Handy" an English word for Cell Phone or Mobil Phone. We invented an English word for something that already has an English word, lol. Okay, its similar in the meaning, but yeah...

" Lit" i didnt even bother to look up where that one originates.

" Random" thrown in in there, totally random by the way.

And many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I’ve not heard of any of those, but in UK Private schools the pupils are taught Latin and encouraged to use Latin loan-words in regular speech as a signifier of high status (you can hear this is literally any clip of Boris Johnson speaking). English is a language that has class baked into it in a sense - if you’re posh you might plump for the Latin “regal”, for the middle class there’s the more French infused “royal”, and for the cloth-capped proletarians we have the perfectly fine “kingly” from Old English. And there are plenty of similar examples.
    It's similar but more complicated here in the US. The movie My Fair Lady comes to mind when you talk about class and language. The class difference is partly based on how good an education you received and which region of the US you grew up in, as well as your economic status [and/or how important it was regarded in your family that you are fluent in 'proper' English]. Also, it matters if English is your second language or if you are barely fluent in it.

Since the US has no nationwide education standards, not everyone learns to speak and write English the same way.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    "We will use our resources."

"We will utilize our resources."

Somehow, the former conjures an image of "We will use them and, then, they'll be gone. We won't have them anymore." The latter conjures an image of properly utilizing what we have to work with.
    If you have to use the word as part of the definition of that word, the definition is flawed.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    It means both or either:

1. a foolish or stupid person : simpleton

2. to show excessive devotion to or longing for someone or something
    This is why I take the French's side when folk get snide about them having an actual body to govern their language.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Can somebody tell me the difference between shop and store?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Can somebody tell me the difference between shop and store?
    Shop is usually small and usually owned by a single person. Stores are usually large and often owned by big chains and large companies.

That is not a hard and fast rule. The two words can be used interchangeably and may have regional preferences.

Note that a Shop can also refer to repair places that fixes things.

Shop isn't used as much in the NE US unless it is to say I am going Shopping or as part of the name of some chain stores or Supermarkets.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Brouhaha and Hullabaloo have similar meanings (states of confused activity), w. the difference being the cause of a Brouhaha is usually pretty minor, and doesnt merit that kind of reaction.

Astonishing Member

Hootenanny and hoedown. Once you come up with a fun word like hootenanny why would you need another one?

Is there a reason why people call cinemas theaters? When I started learning English in elementary school, we learned that the place where they show movies is cinema and the place where they show live plays (drama, stage play, you know what I mean) is theater. Seems simple enough, it's two different things. But some people call cinemas movie theaters. Why?
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Is there a reason why people call cinemas theaters? When I started learning English in elementary school, we learned that the place where they show movies is cinema and the place where they show live plays (drama, stage play, you know what I mean) is theater. Seems simple enough, it's two different things. But some people call cinemas movie theaters. Why?
    A lot of early cinemas in the US were repurposed theaters. That said, I'm on your side with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    " Bro" as an example is used for everyone, friend, stranger or enemy....totally wrong for my taste. If you need to use it, just say it to your best friend, or your brother.
    I've noticed a lot more females using the word over the past few years (mainly Gen Z). I even call certain female friends 'Bro' now .