Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I don't know that I like that development. I suppose it's handwaved away by the resurrection protocols but I wish that would at least be stated outright.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I don't know that I like that development. I suppose it's handwaved away by the resurrection protocols but I wish that would at least be stated outright.
    spoilers:
    what? Her using TK? She's had it for years. The resurrection protocols didnt give it to her. This issue just showed that the writer has a good grasp on her and was able to use a power that is often forgotten/ignored
    end of spoilers

Oh, my bad then because I don't remember her using it before.

Oh, my bad then because I don't remember her using it before.
    She's used it in X-Factor and i believe the last time in Xmen v4

Stopping a bullet midair

Being part of the TK circuit to move the virus

TK blasting a car

Oh wow, I've read all of those issues and still didn't remember any of that. Thanks for the scans!

Actually, now I'm wondering if M's flight and strength are just applications of TK rather than separate powers.
    Last edited by davetvs; 01-17-2024 at 10:10 AM.

At this point, is there any telepath who doesn’t have telekinesis?

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    At this point, is there any telepath who doesn’t have telekinesis?
    Specialized telepaths like Karma. I dont think Martha and Blindfold do

Oh wow, I've read all of those issues and still didn't remember any of that. Thanks for the scans!

Actually, now I'm wondering if M's flight and strength are just applications of TK rather than separate powers.
    Its been speculated that she has tactile TK but thats never been confirmed. As it stands, they are separate powers
    Last edited by Havok83; 01-17-2024 at 10:14 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    spoilers:
    what? Her using TK? She's had it for years. The resurrection protocols didnt give it to her. This issue just showed that the writer has a good grasp on her and was able to use a power that is often forgotten/ignored
    end of spoilers
    When called upon Dr. Ewing does her research.

I just read BP and M spoilers:
    uses her telekinesis a couple of times. First to break free of the restraints placed on her and then to serve coffee
    end of spoilers. I also like that her codename here is M as I never liked Penance in this current era
    Penance/Hollow is probably a different person anyways.

To be fair, Monet, nor the twins as 'Monet', never displayed telekinesis back in Generation X(although Emma did, a couple times). In the immediate aftermath of Generation X during the Morrison days when she was with Banshee's X-Corp and later MSF/X-Corporation, she didn't use TK either. But somewhere in PAD's X-Factor in between passing around the male members rooms and becoming Muslim, he also gave her TK, which was really leaned into when she joined that Storm/Psylocke led X-Men team during the Utopia era (or the JGS that followed, rather).

Personally, I prefer her a higher end telepath(can make Emma sit down), nigh invulnerable, bullet-time speedster/flyer, with medium level strength(like, enough to pick up a train car or most of a collapsed building, but not quite Colossus/Rogue super-duper strong), and GENIUS level intellect(this gets overlooked/underutilized the most). I don't think she needs the TK too, but it's so common for high level telepaths to also get TK at this point(Xavier, Jean, Psylocke, even rarely Emma) that, whatever, just go for it.

I thought Monet's appearance in BP was okay. That book has been a mess for ages now, and while it was nice to see her on more pages, it was only okay, story-wise. I am really tired of the Penance form at this point, though. That Hickman never bothered to even explain that bit is annoying, and her base form should be just as invulnerable. In fact, her Penance form has weaker showings of durability in this era(she was killed easily by the Orchis goons back in HoX, and BP was kicking her but pretty well too here, not to mention that beating from Stevil recently). Pre-Penace Monet was not afraid to throw down with World Breaker Hulk (and he BFR'd her, but didn't actually hurt her).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I am really tired of the Penance form at this point, though. That Hickman never bothered to even explain that bit is annoying, and her base form should be just as invulnerable. In fact, her Penance form has weaker showings of durability in this era(she was killed easily by the Orchis goons back in HoX, and BP was kicking her but pretty well too here, not to mention that beating from Stevil recently). Pre-Penace Monet was not afraid to throw down with World Breaker Hulk (and he BFR'd her, but didn't actually hurt her).
    Same. She's tough and strong in her normal form, and has ample ranged utility with her telepathy or thrown items (like the time in X-Factor she casually killed some mutant-killing bigot by chucking a small object into his skull with her super-strength). The Penance form is explicitly a downgrade.

It's like 'Oh, I'm already Jean + Rogue, but if I concentrate real hard, I can be Wolverine?' Why? Why be a firecracker, when you're already an atom bomb?

It's like she's lost a bet and has to do everything with the least impressive (or effective...) possible use of her powers these past few years...

Extraordinary Member

Monet by and large uses her TP as a telephone. She isnt doing Jean Grey or even Cuckoos levels of offensive attack. I cant ever recall her using TP in combat. Even if she has at one point, its not something she ever does with any regular consistency. And Carol is physically stronger. According to marvel, Monet is ranked 4 in strength capable of lifting 10 tons. Carol is capable of 50 in her base form and up to 100 as Binary

^^^^ Thanks mace11
    Here is more details on the powergrid.

Strength
    The ability to lift (press) weight over one's head.

1-Weak: Cannot lift own body weight.
    2-Normal: Able to lift between over own body weight and twice own body weight.
    3-Peak Human: Able to lift over twice own body weight or up to 800 lbs.
    4-Superhuman: Able to lift between 800 lbs. and 25 tons.
    5-Superhuman: Able to lift between 25-75 tons.
    6-Superhuman: Able to lift between 75-100 tons.
    7-Incalculable: In excess of 100 tons.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Power_Grid

and
    Carol Danvers
    After losing her Binary powers and reverting back to Ms. Marvel, Carol's strength dropped much closer to its original level, though it was still greater than before. She could now lift 75 tons under normal conditions, making her approximately fifty percent stronger than she was prior to losing her powers to Rogue. Under extreme circumstances Carol has shown the ability to tap into her cosmic Binary powers once again, allowing her to reach class-100 strength levels for brief periods. She has also shown an ability to achieve class-100 strength if she has absorbed a great deal of external energy. Recent tests by Avengers scientist Hank Pym have shown that Carol's base strength level is still increasing. Even when not augmented by any additional energy, Carol can now lift 92 tons and strike with a similar level of force, and Pym has theorized that this is likely not her limit.
    This was shown to be the case as time and experience had increased her physical capabilities well beyond their original limits, with and without the need of absorbing energy. Carol having lifted a dead celestial barehanded, which considering the immense height and mass, can weigh well into billions of tons.
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/carol...rs/4005-21561/

M
    Her powers include superhuman strength enabling her to lift 10 tons
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/m/4005-40460/
    Last edited by mace11; 01-18-2024 at 10:27 PM.

I'd prefer her more like 40-50 tons. 10 seems too low. Even Spider-Man does way more than 10 tons these days.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 01-18-2024 at 10:23 PM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member

Superhuman Strength
    In the Marvel universe, Superhuman strength is often measured by a Strength Scale based on the number of tons a character can lift of his or her head, from 1 to 100 (Class 20, Class 50, Class 100, etc). Characters who can lift more than 100 tons often have incalculable or unlimited strength.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Superhuman_Strength

and

Strength Scale
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Strength_Scale

By the way luke cage started out 5 tons and now he could lift 50 tons or more.
    Last edited by mace11; 01-18-2024 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I'd prefer her more like 40-50 tons. 10 seems too low. Even Spider-Man does way more than 10 tons these days.
    Strength level with Marvel is usually inconsistent and writers play fast and loose with characters limits depending on what is needed for the story, so I wouldn't take it too seriously. (well, ironic I say this, since I find this sorta thing fun)

That said, heaviest thing I could find that Monet lifts or indicates a clear strength level is lifting an elevator with a family in it which typically weight between 4 to 8 tons. She did have a moment in X-Factor, however, where she helps to keep a part of a building from falling down and is likelier heavier.

For now, I would say just going off what she has done before in stories she probably around 20-25 tons or a bit below the average Asgardians woman's strength level, as Enchantress claims she is physically stronger than her. Monet does get her revenge later on, as she can use her speed to increase the force of her strength.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 01-18-2024 at 11:05 PM.