Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Those boys probably aren't going to end up as a couple. Prodigy already has a boyfriend, he's been dating Speed since he was a Young Avenger and that relationship was still intact in the Krakoa era books.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    This strikes me as a pretty odd lineup from the perspective of trying to sell books, rather than getting paid to write fan fiction. Ms. Marvel isn't really well liked, especially in mutant readership because she takes a staring role away from an X-Man. I didn't see any great praise for her turn into a mutant, only complaints.

Laura hasn't been able to sell her own books for a long time and has been relegated to a supporting character. A rather badly written one since at least Krakoa, and arguably quite a bit before.

The Cuckoos are not very popular, and Sophie is probably the least developed of them. At least Mindee, Esme, and Celeste have some personality.

But hey...we don't have one gay boy to pair with this new sisterhood, we have two! So that fifteen percent of the audience is likely thrilled. But while I happen to like both of these two characters, it almost seems like the writers go out of their way to build lineups that look nothing like the comic book reading audience, or anything they would be interested in. And then when this doesn't sell, they'll say Academy-X kids don't sell books as if the deck wasn't stacked by a weak line up...
    Yeah, Kamala fans will complain when Bruno doesn't show up, Laura fans will have the same complaint about Gabby, and Sophie might generate similar complaints as it isn't normal for one Cuckoo to appear alone. Prodigy fans will want to see Speed, and Anole has always been a background character, cool visual but isn't a sales driver. But please judge it on the content once we actually get at least a preview, and not just on a synopsis and cover. They might surprise us!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Kamala fans will complain when Bruno doesn't show up, Laura fans will have the same complaint about Gabby, and Sophie might generate similar complaints as it isn't normal for one Cuckoo to appear alone. Prodigy fans will want to see Speed, and Anole has always been a background character, cool visual but isn't a sales driver. But please judge it on the content once we actually get at least a preview, and not just on a synopsis and cover. They might surprise us!
    Bruno is showing up.

https://twitter.com/JacksonLanzing/s...14711748956169

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

I'm not knocking because I want it to fail. I love Academy-X and I want this to work and sell a million copies and lead to a resurgence of these X-Kids getting love. I'm just pointing out a very unpopular truth amongst the portion of the fanbase that remains from 20 years ago when these kids debuted...nothing in this announcement speaks to increasing readership past a very small niche. And that hurts all of our goal of getting the X-Kids back on the page.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    I'm not knocking because I want it to fail. I love Academy-X and I want this to work and sell a million copies and lead to a resurgence of these X-Kids getting love. I'm just pointing out a very unpopular truth amongst the portion of the fanbase that remains from 20 years ago when these kids debuted...nothing in this announcement speaks to increasing readership past a very small niche. And that hurts all of our goal of getting the X-Kids back on the page.
    It's a young X-Men book with one of the most popular young X-Men and one of Marvel's most popular young characters period headlining it. That's the in for more casual readers. Everything else is down to how well the creative team handles their cast. If this flops, that's probably the X-Office's signal to stop trying to do kid teams altogether.

Based on Lanzing's twitter it's not really a team, more of a large ensemble cast with each of these characters as the focus character for one issue in the first arc.

I want Hellion to be that guy who couch surfs between the 5 main leads apartments until something happens and he becomes rich and then flies back to LA, buys his own mansion and starts the NYX spin off called LAX

The cover will be Hellion, Mercury, Loa, Bling! & Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider in front of an In n Out or the LAX sign at the Airport
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    It's a young X-Men book with one of the most popular young X-Men and one of Marvel's most popular young characters period headlining it. That's the in for more casual readers. Everything else is down to how well the creative team handles their cast. If this flops, that's probably the X-Office's signal to stop trying to do kid teams altogether.
    Really? Kamala couldn't sell a TV show, she couldn't sell a movie, and from what little I've seen in either direction her book sold middling to below average at best. Seriously, the best I've heard about her book is no one talked about it at all past a few paid shills in comic media. It seems Marvel as a whole just doesn't know what the hell to do with her, but they've invested so much in her push that they won't give up now. Everyone has to suffer...

And Laura has been written terribly for years. No one liked her (non-)portrayal during Krakoa.

Neither of them is a real draw to anyone but the small audience they already had. But the others are even worse, as I said. And don't take my word for it. A bunch of the people here who love Academy X/New X-Men have no interest in it. That should tell you all you need to know...

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    I want Hellion to be that guy who couch surfs between the 5 main leads apartments until something happens and he becomes rich and then flies back to LA, buys his own mansion and starts the NYX spin off called LAX

The cover will be Hellion, Mercury, Loa, Bling! & Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider in front of an In n Out or the LAX sign at the Airport
    Excellent idea. And did you drop you Tumbler? I checked the link and it said it was gone. (That would be sad. There was so much cool old stuff on there.)
    Last edited by Ulysian_Thracs; 04-11-2024 at 10:24 PM.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

im still tumblin'
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I can't believe Nori of all people will be guilty of being in two series at the same time.

Oh, well, she's probably going to just be a support character in Ultimate X-Men.

I just hope she doesn't get rockslided.
    Just in X-Force, not any other series.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Is Anole the luckiest NXM after Laura? He’s been a regular in YXM, New Mutants and now this. I also think he was around during Aaron’s run.
    That title must go to Prodigy, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    That title must go to Prodigy, surely?
    It's definitely between the two of them w/ Pixie in 3rd place. I wanna say Anole's shown up more consistently (he even had a role in the IvX era when lots of characters were MIA), but Prodigy has more impactful roles whenever he does show up. Rockslide was also up there before he got turned into Wrongslide.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    It's definitely between the two of them w/ Pixie in 3rd place. I wanna say Anole's shown up more consistently (he even had a role in the IvX era when lots of characters were MIA), but Prodigy has more impactful roles whenever he does show up. Rockslide was also up there before he got turned into Wrongslide.
    Pixie is the only one of the 3 to have her own series though, albeit short lived.

Between 2008 and 2010 the X-office really tried to push her it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Pixie is the only one of the 3 to have her own series though, albeit short lived.

Between 2008 and 2010 the X-office really tried to push her it seems.
    Yeah, really not sure what the goal was... or how the X-office measured success... or maybe just some writer's pet idea? 'cause she came around in the era when "mutant" wasn't always an X-gene Mutant. There was a comic that justified Karima Shapandar's presence with the X-Men by calling her a "mutant" Sentinel. And also Ariel... who isn't even from earth! So the half-Fae thing... less weird than it sounds.

It seems Hellion is appearing in issue #1 of NYX.

Insert a request for Hellion, Skids, Jessie Bedlam, or Siryn here as underused characters with buckets of potential

At least one of those mutants is in issue 1.
    https://twitter.com/JacksonLanzing/s...30305592463502