Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    I don't know if you have heard of uncannyxmen.net. It's a database page of the X-men that had spotlight pages of the characters (featuring their biography, important issues, costumes and alternate versions) and after a time they update them too. They have already made pages for characters like Armor, Blindfold, Dust, Elixir, Gentle, Icarus, Onyxx, Prodigy, Pixie, Wind Dancer, Wallflower, Wither, Wolf Cub and X-23

This month it had been declared the Academy X month and will feature spotlight of the X-kids, Rockslide being the first this month. Hopefully they'll bring more spotlight of other academy kids.
    Funny no Hellion and Surge. They were really the two who got the most panel time back then. Especially Hellion with his duo adventures, always getting into trouble. (I still recall being pissed when the writers shafted him out of leading the Junior Team. That made absolutely no sense.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex. View Post
    Maybe I'm crazy, but I think I saw Loa, Dust and Nature Girl on the X-men 97 trailer.
    I'm pretty sure you're on point with this, except I hope they're not going to focus on eco terrorist nature girl instead of so many other Academy X mutants.

I think the one below dust might be Jumbo Carnation?

I was really excited about this series until I started reading the interviews by the guy running it. They're turning morph into a trans black guy with an 'interesting' relationship with Wolverine? Sounds like a good way to make sure a solid half to 2/3s of the fans of the original series take a hard pass. I just don't know why they keep doing stuff like this when it clearly turns off a plurality, if not majority of the potential audience.

https://boundingintocomics.com/2024/...-as-nonbinary/
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    I was really excited about this series until I started reading the interviews by the guy running it. They're turning morph into a trans black guy with an 'interesting' relationship with Wolverine? Sounds like a good way to make sure a solid half to 2/3s of the fans of the original series take a hard pass. I just don't know why they keep doing stuff like this when it clearly turns off a plurality, if not majority of the potential audience.
    Misinformation. The interview specifically states that he has an interesting buddy relationship with Wolverine which, if you remember, was a well-established part of the original show. Logan described Morph as the only person that could make him laugh, vowed to avenge him after his “death,” tried desperately to redeem him when he returned as a villain. And I don’t know where the heck the claim of Morph being black now comes from, you can see in the trailer that’s clearly not true lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Misinformation. The interview specifically states that he has an interesting buddy relationship with Wolverine which, if you remember, was a well-established part of the original show. Logan described Morph as the only person that could make him laugh, vowed to avenge him after his “death,” tried desperately to redeem him when he returned as a villain. And I don’t know where the heck the claim of Morph being black now comes from, you can see in the trailer that’s clearly not true lol.
    We'll see exactly what that means. But I certainly won't be shocked by more race, gender and sexuality changes. And I am certain the focus of the story will be just as much a political diatribe as the other Marvel content that didn't work and lost Disney money. It's just what the current writers at Marvel do. It's specifically why they're being hired, despite it having a relative small audience outside their own writer's rooms and sending their reader/viewership spiraling down the toilet.

The fact that '‘X-Men ’97’ Executive Producer Beau DeMayo Reveals Series’ Story Is Informed By His Experience As A Black Gay Man' doesn't really bode well for its chances to be successful. That is a rather small demographic to cater to, especially at the expense of all the 80s and 90s kids who are (were?) nostalgic for this. You know what that audience looks like and where most of them stand politically. It is the exact audience Marvel lost, and why the Western comics industry is reeling.

The fact is there just isn't a huge audience for X-Men anymore. You can see it in these very CBR forums (one of the biggest on the web). It's the same two or three dozen people making all the posts. When I was a teenager, there were thousands of kids like me talking about X-Men online. And that was when we had to ask our parents to use the phone line for dialup AOL!

That's because people like me tuned out over the last two decades. But (at least speaking for myself), I was really excited to see this get picked up. Then, it because clear Marvel will do all the things that turned me off to the rest of its content. That they brought this guy in to do a 'modern retelling'. I laugh at that because audiences have been been very clear since at least End Game (and All New All Different) that 'modernizing' our childhood heroes and stories is usually not something we will spend time and money one.

If this show doesn't pick up viewership from the 80s and 90s kids like me, it is not going to be successful. And I say that as someone who wants this to succeed so that I can see my favorite characters again for the first time in a long time. If this fails, we all lose an opportunity, including the people who love the X-Men and didn't see enough characters like themselves way back when. I don't know why they focus on a tiny segment of the audience and purposely repel the solid half that doesn't share their politics and just wants the fun, simple enjoyment of what TAS used to be rather than some kind of forced, cringey lectures they've been turning out. I'm afraid this is going to be another abortion like Bishop's (Affirmative Action) War College, and unfortunately that's the only way Marvel will use these characters we love. :c(

https://boundingintocomics.com/2023/...black-gay-man/

We'll see exactly what that means. But I certainly won't be shocked by more race, gender and sexuality changes. And I am certain the focus of the story will be just as much a political diatribe as the other Marvel content that didn't work and lost Disney money. It's just what the current writers at Marvel do. It's specifically why they're being hired, despite it having a relative small audience outside their own writer's rooms and sending their reader/viewership spiraling down the toilet.

The fact that '‘X-Men ’97’ Executive Producer Beau DeMayo Reveals Series’ Story Is Informed By His Experience As A Black Gay Man' doesn't really bode well for its chances to be successful. That is a rather small demographic to cater to, especially at the expense of all the 80s and 90s kids who are (were?) nostalgic for this. You know what that audience looks like and where most of them stand politically. It is the exact audience Marvel lost, and why the Western comics industry is reeling.

The fact is there just isn't a huge audience for X-Men anymore. You can see it in these very CBR forums (one of the biggest on the web). It's the same two or three dozen people making all the posts. When I was a teenager, there were thousands of kids like me talking about X-Men online. And that was when we had to ask our parents to use the phone line for dialup AOL!

That's because people like me tuned out over the last two decades. But (at least speaking for myself), I was really excited to see this get picked up. Then, it because clear Marvel will do all the things that turned me off to the rest of its content. That they brought this guy in to do a 'modern retelling'. I laugh at that because audiences have been been very clear since at least End Game (and All New All Different) that 'modernizing' our childhood heroes and stories is usually not something we will spend time and money one.

If this show doesn't pick up viewership from the 80s and 90s kids like me, it is not going to be successful. And I say that as someone who wants this to succeed so that I can see my favorite characters again for the first time in a long time. If this fails, we all lose an opportunity, including the people who love the X-Men and didn't see enough characters like themselves way back when. I don't know why they focus on a tiny segment of the audience and purposely repel the solid half that doesn't share their politics and just wants the fun, simple enjoyment of what TAS used to be rather than some kind of forced, cringey lectures they've been turning out. I'm afraid this is going to be another abortion like Bishop's (Affirmative Action) War College, and unfortunately that's the only way Marvel will use these characters we love. :c(

This is not the place to talk about it. This is an Academy X appreciation thread.

Amazing Member

I agree wholeheartedly. The Black, gay experience has no place informing a series about a minority group hated for simply existing as themselves. What’s next? Portraying upstanding senators and reverends as nothing more than foul villains? Perish the thought. The 90s writers would never. I love this franchise and hope to God Disney doesn’t kill it. That would be a virus upon the franchise’s legacy. What would come next? Protagonists from Venezuela, Afghanistan, and Japan? I’m certain that no one in this thread would want such a thing.

I genuinely don't get this... didn't they literally make Bishop a black character because there were SO many black X-fans who were asking for additional representation? If you're gonna make a claim that X-fans lean a certain way both demographically and politically, please bring data and actual statistics and not just your own perception of when you were a teenager. People ACROSS demographics have fallen in love with the franchise, which is what makes it so powerful.

I have lots of opinions about the Western comics industry as a whole that include books being overpriced, an outdated sales model, lack of character progression, etc. But I WILL say is that one trans or non-binary character is not going to be the deciding factor that makes or breaks the show. Like you said Western comics have fallen behind, especially when compared to manga. The thing is, the most popular manga in the world, One Piece, has had several trans and/ or non-binary characters (Bon Clay, Iva, Kiku, etc.) in its run and it has never had an impact on sales, popularity, etc.

My genuine hope is that this show acts a love letter to fans who grew up with it and also sparks joy in kids who are finding it now on Disney+.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 02-16-2024 at 08:48 AM.

Being incapable of recognizing the very obvious parallels between the X-Men and the minority experience speaks to a lack of emotional maturity all too common to the pre-teen/teenage demographic most of us were when first imprinting on the animated series.

The X-Men has always been political. Its always been about a concentrated effort to promote acceptance from a world that fears and hates them.
    The optic blasts, adamantium claws and the car tossing buxom babes are just metaphors to excite and entertain the audience.

Hook them with a grouchy grizzly man with knives in his hands and HOPEFULLY the kids will develop COMPASSION and EMPATHY.
    Sadly, far too many fixated on "SWEET! THAT DUDE CAN FUCKIN STAB ANYTHING!" and missed the message entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    One Piece, has had several trans and/ or non-binary characters (Bon Clay, Iva, Kiku, etc.) in its run and it has never had an impact on sales, popularity, etc.
    I'm not sure it would still be the case if it was revealed that Zoro is gay, for instance. Shonen manga and their public have more tolerance for transgender characters, especially if they conform to gender stereotypes (Kiku being very feminine, Yamato loving robots and fights) than they have for gay or lesbian characters (outside of being a joke).

Concerning X-Menberberries 97, I have very low expectations about the X-kids. WATXM had a New X-Men writer working on it, and yet, Academy X mutants only got insignificant cameos.

Also barfingovercomics is a site that just does clickbait for paranoid fake fans, so nothing they tell have any value.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

They show up in a floating newspaper for like one second.

This is an appreciation thread for the academy x student. Not peoples other issues.

Ok so show some appreciation for the Academy students and move your issues and discussion to their respective threads - all of you.
    Last edited by CGAR; 02-16-2024 at 03:37 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    This is not the place to talk about it. This is an Academy X appreciation thread.
    You see the website that was cited. That is all you need to know.

Meanwhile if Dusk and the others are in the trailer that might mean they could be seen as background in an episode or two or be Hidden eggs on the show.

It's kind of sad that many of these characters were created about 20 years ago, and yet they're going to remain children/teenagers for a long time. At least the New Mutants and Generation X classes were able to level up within like a decade of being introduced.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You see the website that was cited. That is all you need to know.

Meanwhile if Dusk and the others are in the trailer that might mean they could be seen or be Easter eggs on the show.
    Considering that the flying newspaper seems to be part of a scene taking place in another dystopian future, it's possible that the people on the cover are supposed to be youths "cosplaying" as famous mutants (maybe even normal human teenagers as some sort of counter culture) rather than the actual characters.

Like in this future the original X-men had to retire because of becomming too old and a young generation actualy took over, became famous heros in their own right and therefor part of the pop culture that people might use as inspiration for party costumes alongside the "originals".

So likely just an easter egg, but one that is making use of the "hindsight" of being able to see beyond 1997 in regards to what characters were introduced over the years.

Of course this is just a guess.
    Last edited by Grunty; 02-16-2024 at 05:51 PM.

I'm hoping Surge pops up in Ultimate X-men.

The Academy X kids were my intro to X-men comics. I'm hoping they get a book in the new era.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-17-2024 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    It's kind of sad that many of these characters were created about 20 years ago, and yet they're going to remain children/teenagers for a long time. At least the New Mutants and Generation X classes were able to level up within like a decade of being introduced.
    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm hoping Surge pops up in Ultimate X-men.

The Academy X kids were my intro to X-men comics. I'm hoping they get a book in the new era.
    Academy-X wasn't my first foray into X-Men, but it was always my favorite. The thing I loved about X-Men had always been the school setting. Teenagers learning about themselves and their powers becoming superheroes together. Once they broke away from that, it really became the same as Avengers. Especially as the writers cycled in and out and brought the same feel to everything.

Quite frankly, when it's just superhero teams, I'll take DC over marvel any day. JLA over Avengers. Titans over full grown X-Men, and anything DC with magic (Constantine, Zatana, Dr. Fate) over Strange. Just my personal opinion. FF and Doom are an exception really bc I've always loved Doom. But I never found anything in DC I enjoyed as much as the stories at the Xavier Academy focused on the students. There's just nothing there with the setting and the depth of early O-5 Xmen, New Mutants, and Academy-X/New X-Men.

It is such a shame they had Akademos Habitat and didn't do a damn thing with it.