Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Shame that Scandal's story transferred to Talia in Nolan's "DARK KNIGHT RISES".
    How was that version of Talia anything like Scandal? Scandal hates her father and wouldn't want to avenge him.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPlay25 View Post
    Talia Al Ghul is the most fascinating femme fatale in all of comics IMO. I Love the way JW and PT write her. Though I Love that she is the one genuine villain that can throw Bruce off his game, he always seems like he wants to arrest her AND save her. I'd like to explore her dynamic with the rest of the DCU I'd like a closer examination of her alliance/feud with Lex Luthor. During the "Leviathan Rising" storyline. Clark Kent wrote an article for the Daily Planet describing Talia as "The World's most alluring terorist."The way she is able to maneuver powerful men is awesome. Bruce, Lex, Superman, Felix Faust. Calculator said he doesn't think there is a straight man that can resist Talia. She is a non-meta woman that storms her way through the DCU doing as she pleases is so awesome and unique IMO. Talia's discussion with Ra'a during the Gotham villains anniversary villain story "the second eye"Where Ra's was telling Talia she is ultimately alone in the world and should always be able and willing to take care of herself. It was such wonderful insight into what makes her the cold, closed off and manipulative woman we all know and love. Here is hoping for a great 2024 for The Daughter of the Demon.
    A lot of this in my opinion reflects some very outdated writing tropes regarding Talia and Asian women in general.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPlay25 View Post
    Talia Al Ghul is the most fascinating femme fatale in all of comics IMO. I Love the way JW and PT write her. Though I Love that she is the one genuine villain that can throw Bruce off his game, he always seems like he wants to arrest her AND save her. I'd like to explore her dynamic with the rest of the DCU I'd like a closer examination of her alliance/feud with Lex Luthor. During the "Leviathan Rising" storyline. Clark Kent wrote an article for the Daily Planet describing Talia as "The World's most alluring terorist."The way she is able to maneuver powerful men is awesome. Bruce, Lex, Superman, Felix Faust. Calculator said he doesn't think there is a straight man that can resist Talia. She is a non-meta woman that storms her way through the DCU doing as she pleases is so awesome and unique IMO. Talia's discussion with Ra'a during the Gotham villains anniversary villain story "the second eye"Where Ra's was telling Talia she is ultimately alone in the world and should always be able and willing to take care of herself. It was such wonderful insight into what makes her the cold, closed off and manipulative woman we all know and love. Here is hoping for a great 2024 for The Daughter of the Demon.
    Agreed. The many "relationships" that Talia has & her place in the proper DCU are definitely worth some deeper exploration (IMHO):

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Extraordinary Member

The coolest thing about Talia is all the stuff that could potentially make her an A-List, Doctor Doom-level villain and complicated anti-villain.

The worst thing about Talia is how much all that stuff also tends to contradict, undercut, and sabotage itself as well, either demanding she get restructured to try and make it work, or that it all be viewed only shallowly so that she can still enjoy many of the benefits, but can never ascend that far.

She's too sociopathic to actually be sympathetic, but too closely tied to Bruce and Damian to be a sociopath. She's too dependent on "Exotically Sexy Evil Lady" to be more than a problematic throwback, but too cool of a concept as a Big Bad to be ignored. she's both someone Bruce did love but no well-written Bruce could love. she's both dependent on her dad for her importance, but also should be an independent villain who ascends past him.

She needs someone who wants to give her a non-meta-textual, psychologically interesting story to explain what her character actually is, and let her be engaged with as more than just a collection of tropes and themes.

Her best-written, most clearly characterized periods tend to be whenever a writer completely abandons one side of her appeal for another; her more anti-heroic, done-with-Ras's-**** and more compassionate portrayal after Legacy and before Death and the Maidens, or her straight forward villain role in TDKR. And as cool as the whole "Bruce's Evil Ex-Girlfriend Is The Big Bad!" idea in Morrison's work is, it also perpetually holds her back because it's too shallow to actually introduce heartbreak or complexity to her and her relationship with Bruce.

If she's just an evil ******* than stop pretending there's any complexity between her and Batman. If she's more than an evil *******, than start making her someone Bruce would willingly sleep with without reducing it to "Hot chick, dur-hur-hur."
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Well, people seem to like what Ram V did with her in his Detective Comics run.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How was that version of Talia anything like Scandal? Scandal hates her father and wouldn't want to avenge him.
    The daughter of an Immortal (Talia/Scandal)having an affectionate surrogate caregiver relationship with Bane. Whereas the 2 characters were unrelated in the source material.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Ken Lashley sketch.

TaliaKen.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    The daughter of an Immortal (Talia/Scandal)having an affectionate surrogate caregiver relationship with Bane. Whereas the 2 characters were unrelated in the source material.
    I can see that. Though the version of Ra's in those movies wasn't immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. The many "relationships" that Talia has & her place in the proper DCU are definitely worth some deeper exploration (IMHO):

They look like one big happy crazy criminal family .

Fantastic Member

Really curious about where we will next see Talia. I haven't been keeping up with DC but I heard on the boards she was in Gotham for a while. Can't see her hanging around there long as she views the costume wearers in Gotham as "grotesque mental patients that Bruce chooses to "match wits with".

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Jerry Bingham Sketch.

BinghamTaliaBat.jpg

Took me several times looking at this to figure out what's off with it. the sword handle is sideways...

Nice use of her Arkham City look .