Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'm stoked to see her on Cyke's team. Yana and Scott might be my favorite non-romantic pairing in Marvel. I just like the way they play off of each other.
    Agreed. I'm excited to see the Bachalo look returning as well as having Illyana on the same team as Cyclops, Psylocke and Beast. Her interactions with Kid Omega will also be fun I'm sure.

Mighty Member

Also fair thing to consider with Illyana is Mackay's rather remarkable work with Dr. Strange, but also, he is, I believe, the last writer to actively remember that Illyana is the Sorcerer Supreme of Limbo.

Hello there. Recently I played Midnight Suns and now I'm looking for some Magik stories to read. My knowledge of Illyana is... rudimentary at best. I've read a few New Mutants issues here and there but not much else. What are some good solo stuff for a beginner?

She doesnt have alot of solo material but you definitely want to check out her origin story as told in the Magik: Storm and Illyana mini

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    She doesnt have alot of solo material but you definitely want to check out her origin story as told in the Magik: Storm and Illyana mini
    Thanks. I'll check that out. If I have any questions I'll post them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    Hello there. Recently I played Midnight Suns and now I'm looking for some Magik stories to read. My knowledge of Illyana is... rudimentary at best. I've read a few New Mutants issues here and there but not much else. What are some good solo stuff for a beginner?

This ILLYANA reading order for completists gives you a comprehensive MAGIK reading list (you can skip the Amanda Sefton part and add in STRANGE ACADEMY for some neat moments...
    Another reading list with some summaries.

MORE MAGIK
    Last edited by Thirteen; 03-23-2024 at 05:52 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post

This ILLYANA reading order for completists gives you a comprehensive MAGIK reading list (you can skip the Amanda Sefton part and add in STRANGE ACADEMY for some neat moments...
    Another reading list with some summaries.

MORE MAGIK
    Thanks a lot.

Does her armor imbue her with any superhuman qualities such as does she gain a level of superhuman strength in her arm? Like can she punch a hole in a wall or pick up a heavy object? I imagine it at least gives her a level of super durability

Extraordinary Member

Does her armor imbue her with any superhuman qualities such as does she gain a level of superhuman strength in her arm? Like can she punch a hole in a wall or pick up a heavy object? I imagine it at least gives her a level of super durability
    Yes and yes. The entire purpose of the armor is to enhance her durability and allow her to tank hits that would otherwise seriously injure or even kill her. It has also been shown to enhance her strength in the arm it appears on. The black spiky armor from her Bachalo costume may not do these things, however, as there is a very good chance it is not her eldrich armor but a mere aesthetic choice given how different it is from how the armor is always depicted otherwise. In Empire the silver armor was treated as something completely separate from the black costume. Her Darkchild form also gives her superhuman levels of strength and durability, enough to go hand-to-hand against S'ym during Inferno.

What muddies the waters a bit with the armor are the times she shows superhuman strength without any magical enhancements, like the time she easily picked up a grown man who must have weighed significantly more than she did with just 1 hand.

Extraordinary Member

Illyana does not appear in X-Men 97, but

spoilers:
    Morph transforms into her to fight the Goblin Queen, complete with soul sword and New Mutants uniform, then GQ turns Morph into the Drakchild form to fight the X-Men
    end of spoilers

It's a really odd way to 'introduce' a character, as there's no explanation and it implies she's already returned from Limbo even though the X-Men don't seem to know what Limbo is. It's basically nothing more than a nod to the fact that she was key to the original Inferno story even though the show completely writes her out of their version and seemingly has no interest in having her appear for real.

And it's a huge knock against the original Inferno that the cartoon can completely write her out of what was supposed to be her ultimate story.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 03-27-2024 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Yes and yes. The entire purpose of the armor is to enhance her durability and allow her to tank hits that would otherwise seriously injure or even kill her. It has also been shown to enhance her strength in the arm it appears on. The black spiky armor from her Bachalo costume may not do these things, however, as there is a very good chance it is not her eldrich armor but a mere aesthetic choice given how different it is from how the armor is always depicted otherwise. In Empire the silver armor was treated as something completely separate from the black costume. Her Darkchild form also gives her superhuman levels of strength and durability, enough to go hand-to-hand against S'ym during Inferno.

What muddies the waters a bit with the armor are the times she shows superhuman strength without any magical enhancements, like the time she easily picked up a grown man who must have weighed significantly more than she did with just 1 hand.
    Thank you!

Illyana does not appear in X-Men 97, but

spoilers:
    Morph transforms into her to fight the Goblin Queen, complete with soul sword and New Mutants uniform, then GQ turns Morph into the Drakchild form to fight the X-Men
    end of spoilers

It's a really odd way to 'introduce' a character, as there's no explanation and it implies she's already returned from Limbo even though the X-Men don't seem to know what Limbo is. It's basically nothing more than a nod to the fact that she was key to the original Inferno story even though the show completely writes her out of their version and seemingly has no interest in having her appear for real.

And it's a huge knock against the original Inferno that the cartoon can completely write her out of what was supposed to be her ultimate story.
    Not necesarily. She could have been aged up by some other method that doesnt include Limbo. This episode did a loose adaptation of Inferno afterall and did not include that at all

Extraordinary Member

Thank you!

Not necesarily. She could have been aged up by some other method that doesnt include Limbo. This episode did a loose adaptation of Inferno afterall and did not include that at all
    Which I already said goes to show how badly the original Inferno messed up in 1989. If Inferno was half the story it should have been, it would have been impossible to ever do an adaptation that cut Magik out so completely. 7 years of buildup from her first being kidnapped to Limbo, her ruling Limbo, the danger of her dark side, and then S'ym attempting to conquer Limbo from her were completely wasted.

If they are going the same route of the awful movie where her time in Limbo never happened then they might as well not include her at all. It is just repeating the exact same mistake Josh Boone made, only worse since he already proved what an absolutely idiotic move that is.

Extraordinary Member

In fact, if they are including her as a teenager with a sword but not including her origin in Limbo, they'd be better off not having her in the show at all. No one needs another 'Magik in name only' like the New Mutants movie vomited onto the screen, least of all the real Illyana.

Which I already said goes to show how badly the original Inferno messed up in 1989. If Inferno was half the story it should have been, it would have been impossible to ever do an adaptation that cut Magik out so completely. 7 years of buildup from her first being kidnapped to Limbo, her ruling Limbo, the danger of her dark side, and then S'ym attempting to conquer Limbo from her were completely wasted.

If they are going the same route of the awful movie where her time in Limbo never happened then they might as well not include her at all. It is just repeating the exact same mistake Josh Boone made, only worse since he already proved what an absolutely idiotic move that is.
    I dont think IA. Inferno was largely a 2 part story, the. Magik/New Mutants half and the X-men/X-Factor. You do not need both halves in order to adapt it. In fact it would be far too convoluted to even try as the two dont really intersect outside of the overall demonic invasion aspect. Magik literally has nothing to do with Madelyne. I think the easter egg was only even in there as a nod to the books