Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I dont think IA. Inferno was largely a 2 part story, the. Magik/New Mutants half and the X-men/X-Factor. You do not need both halves in order to adapt it. In fact it would be far too convoluted to even try as the two dont really intersect outside of the overall demonic invasion aspect. Magik literally has nothing to do with Madelyne. I think the easter egg was only even in there as a nod to the books
    Which was the mistake. It turned the result of 7 years of buildup since 1982 into nothing more than a side story for their scramble to get Cyclops off the hook for running out on his wife and child. Her sacrifice had almost no impact and the supposed culmination of her entire story from Uncanny 160 onward was ruined. If Inferno was the story it should have been, Illyana's sacrifice would have had the impact her younger self's death did in 1993 and there would have been no point in bringing her back in 2007. They had to bring her back just to tell the story Inferno would have been in the first place. If Inferno was the story it should have been, the very idea of adapting it without Illyana would be as absurd on its face as the idea of adapting the Dark Phoenix Saga without Jean or the Dark Knight Returns without Batman.

If having the Goblin Queen story means you can't even have the X-Men present at all in the story where Magik sacrifices herself and you are killing off Magik without giving her the final battle with Belasco that's been teased since her origin, then you should not have them at the same time and delay one of these stories in order to do Magik's story right. When Magik's return to life is the first time she's even seen Belasco since her origin, you've completely screwed up her death.

Extraordinary Member

To be clear, the problem is not the cartoon adapting only the Maddie/Sinister half. There may be problems with the episode being rushed, and there may be future problems with how Illyana is handled if they do what Havok83 suggests and remove Limbo from her origin, but those are beside the point, and I do not hold it against the show or the showrunners that they left her out of their Inferno adaption. The problem is with the original story being so badly handled that it was even thinkable that it could be adapted this way in the first place. Inferno in 1989 was a complete failure as a Magik story and is downright insulting as her supposed final story where she sacrifices herself.

So, there is a new Overwatch-like game called Marvel Rivals.

Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Extraordinary Member

It'll be interesting to see how a supposed shooter uses so many characters who don't shoot.

I guess Magik will uses spells or just sword+disc.
    Namor seems to have water bending, Hulk will probably throw stuff and Groot, extend roots.
    The only one I can't figure out is Mantis.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how a supposed shooter uses so many characters who don't shoot.
    Well.... "Overwatch-like" Overwatch DOES have melee characters.

Mighty Member

Seen some leakers mention that its not a shooter.

Extraordinary Member

The official trailer is out. Looks pretty good at first glance, and I'm glad it's not just a shooter. I hope it runs well on Steam Deck.

Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 03-27-2024 at 08:49 AM.

This wouldn't happen in 2016 go Magik!
    Last edited by Maestro 216; 03-27-2024 at 01:25 PM.

Between the goth-y short bangs and the tendril forelocks AND the spiked arm detail, Zendaya at Fashion week in Paris is serving Bachalo Illyana Magik real-ness... artists take note...

Reminds me of DEAD SOULS Magik by Adam Gorham where there was a definite stylistic choice for Illyana's civilian style (influenced by the artist or writer's goth daughter IIRC). Not model pretty, but I appreciated the conscious character style statement. Similar look sometime around the most recent Kitty/Piotr wedding that wasn't in X-MEN:GOLD I think as well.

Last edited by Thirteen; 03-27-2024 at 02:48 PM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    To be clear, the problem is not the cartoon adapting only the Maddie/Sinister half. There may be problems with the episode being rushed, and there may be future problems with how Illyana is handled if they do what Havok83 suggests and remove Limbo from her origin, but those are beside the point, and I do not hold it against the show or the showrunners that they left her out of their Inferno adaption. The problem is with the original story being so badly handled that it was even thinkable that it could be adapted this way in the first place. Inferno in 1989 was a complete failure as a Magik story and is downright insulting as her supposed final story where she sacrifices herself.
    There is currently a tie-in series which tkes place in the gap between the original and 97. I guess there could be the chance that Illyana makes an appearance there to explain things

So the promo art implied that Magik will appear again in the Jubilee-focused video game episode. Think that will be Morph again or the real deal this time? Maybe they’ll replace Limbo with Mojoworld in Illyana’s lore and say she’s been trapped there for a few years.
    Last edited by Dipter; 03-27-2024 at 03:01 PM.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I really love how Illyana seems to have permanently graduated to the big leagues. She's now basically a lock for a major X-Men team whenever there's a reshuffle, she's starring in videogames and appearing in X-Men '97. We already had a great live-action version certainly in terms of actress and I hope the future holds more for our favourite Russian demon sorceress on the small and big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I really love how Illyana seems to have permanently graduated to the big leagues. She's now basically a lock for a major X-Men team whenever there's a reshuffle, she's starring in videogames and appearing in X-Men '97. We already had a great live-action version certainly in terms of actress and I hope the future holds more for our favourite Russian demon sorceress on the small and big screen.
    She's arguably the most successful new addition to the team in the last 20 years

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    The redesign likely went a long way.

Beyond that her natural super power is rather usefull but not too "broken" and she knows dark magic, which makes her a versatil character which can be used in various ways. Not to forget the classic "dark side" aspect, complete with demonic transformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    She's arguably the most successful new addition to the team in the last 20 years
    And it all started with a small role in one of Kyle and Yost New X-men stories, which apparently was more about giving Pixie some an upgrade than properly bringing back the original Illyana.