Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

With X-Men 32, Realm of X actually handled the 'Magik gets her powers back' quite a bit better since it had her actually do something with that power. In X-Men, all she does when she has access to her powers again is some small teleporting. It really kills the whole 'the X-Men have their powerhouse Magik back' vibe Duggan was supposedly going for. Torunn Grønbekk clearly has a much better imagination than Gerry Duggan.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 03-07-2024 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    With X-Men 32, Realm of X actually handled the 'Magik gets her powers back' quite a bit better since it had her actually do something with that power. In X-Men, all she does when she has access to her powers again is some small teleporting. It really kills the whole 'the X-Men have their powerhouse Magik back' vibe Duggan was supposedly going for. Torunn Grønbekk clearly has a much better imagination than Gerry Duggan.
    He already undermined Magik getting her powers in the previous issue when it was revealed that Synch already had access to her powers. Whatever big moment Illyana was supposed to have here fell flat bc of that

Any guesses as to where Illyana may end up post Fall of X?

I believe someone in here mentioned Brevoort is not a fan of Magik? What's the story behind that?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Any guesses as to where Illyana may end up post Fall of X?

I believe someone in here mentioned Brevoort is not a fan of Magik? What's the story behind that?
    In the early 2000s he gave an interview in which he said that he hated her and would kill her off himself if she wasn't already dead at the time.

Brevoot hates Magik.jpg

About a year ago he gave an interview explaining why he hated her, and it was a weird reason, to say the least. He said that he didn't like the implications of what was done to her during her origin story, specifically the implications of sexual abuse by Belasco. I have never heard of someone hating a character enough o want to kill them off just because they don't like what the character was a victim of.

Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 03-13-2024 at 09:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member

In terms of what to expect when his reign starts, Illyana should be safe as long as C.C. Cebulski is the 1 in charge at Marvel, as Cebulski loves her and has said that she'll continue to be written as long as he's there. Brevoot won't be able to kill her off even if he still wants to.

The big concern right now is the rumor that she's being turned into a villain, something which Brevoot could theoretically get past Cebulski if he's being extraordinarily petty. There are also rumors that she's simply playing a big role because Gail Simone talked Brevoot into it or because he's acting with the maturity to put his biases aside and go outside his comfort zone. We don't know. Maybe we'll find out tomorrow.

Extraordinary Member

I swear, Duggan keeps finding new aspects of writing to fail at, this time plotting. So it turns out that the big thing Manifold was needed for was teleporting a Sword station, just like Illyana did at the climax of X of Swords. So it makes sense that with her offworld and her teleporting out of commission, Manifold would need to be kept safe for this big task like Destiny ordered. Ecept, when they finally do it, it's after Illyana's already back with her powers restored. So even if he was dead it wouldn't have affected anything since she could have done something she'd already done before. It's such a basic thing to have Manifold's big moment happen before Magik got her powers back if both Destiny and Moira make such a big deal of his survival being a big deal. It really proves that this was not well thought out at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    In the early 2000s he gave an interview in which he said that he hated her and would kill her off himself if she wasn't already dead at the time.

Brevoot hates Magik.jpg

About a year ago he gave an interview explaining why he hated her, and it was a weird reason, to say the least. He said that he didn't like the implications of what was done to her during her origin story, specifically the implications of sexual abuse by Belasco. I have never heard of someone hating a character enough o want to kill them off just because they don't like what the character was a victim of.

Thanks for sharing!

Totally gross though...Like, imagine not liking a living, breathing person because they could have been a victim of rape

Extraordinary Member

The good news: Illyana is on one of the main X-Men teams together with Cyclops and Juggernaut.

The bad news: She's back in the terrible Bahcalo costume. But there were far worse things that could have happened.

Mighty Member

Mackay having hands on Magik is great. He's been super strong with his handling of the magic side of Marvel

MacKay si a great writer. Also he seems to care about continuity, so we may get some meaningful Illyana/Magneto interactions.
    Also It's always nice when she's not in a team with her brother or her sister, as she tends to be stuck to them in those cases.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    MacKay si a great writer. Also he seems to care about continuity, so we may get some meaningful Illyana/Magneto interactions.
    Also It's always nice when she's not in a team with her brother or her sister, as she tends to be stuck to them in those cases.
    Sister? Kitty?

I actually miss her teaming with Piotr. It's been a while...

Extraordinary Member

MacKay had better be better than Duggan. Everything I read from Duggan nowadays makes me react like the Nostalgia Critic here.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Sister? Kitty?

I actually miss her teaming with Piotr. It's been a while...
    When was the last time she interacted with Mikhail?

Alas Illyana the Gold, we hardly knew ye...
    Understandable that with no real viable "Popular 90s" nostalgia look to turn to, Illyana reverts to her most popular look overall with the Bachalo midriff and hot pants suit and Anime Soulsword. At least we have an idea of Stegman's overall take on Magik from his work with her on covers. Floppy long bangs galore.

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

I'm stoked to see her on Cyke's team. Yana and Scott might be my favorite non-romantic pairing in Marvel. I just like the way they play off of each other.
    Dark does not mean deep.