Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

What did you all think of the WW tv show having Steve Trevor and Steve Trevor Jr. in the series and how they worked with Diana

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    What did you all think of the WW tv show having Steve Trevor and Steve Trevor Jr. in the series and how they worked with Diana
    When CBS introduced Steve Trevor Jr. I didn't bat an eye. But I was 11 then! Now it seems very hokey. (And the idea of Diana having a flirtation/relationship with her former crush's son is icky. Maybe it's one reason the show swiftly moved away from any romantic touches.) However, I find Trevor to be essential and even now I can't think of a satisfying way to bring him back thirty years later.

Oh, wait---something just occurred to me: CBS could have simply started from scratch. Their version could have been in a universe where Diana came to the US for the first time in the late 70s. TV execs had no conception of the multiverse back then! LOL

Overall, ABC handled the Steve/Diana ship pretty well for a 70s show with a very kid-friendly vibe. CBS, not so much. They had two whole seasons to flesh out a relationship with Diana Prince and Steve (or any supporting cast) and they didn't do it. As anyone who studied the show knows, the potential third season was going to eliminate Steve.
    Last edited by Largo161; 01-31-2024 at 12:18 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Loved season 1 -- full of charm with lots of Golden Age tropes. Didn't care for the modern era stories. I didn't really care about how they kept Lyle Waggoner as Steve -- that was the least of the problems. The stories were boring -- putting Diana/WW mostly in espionage stories.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Loved season 1 -- full of charm with lots of Golden Age tropes. Didn't care for the modern era stories. I didn't really care about how they kept Lyle Waggoner as Steve -- that was the least of the problems. The stories were boring -- putting Diana/WW mostly in espionage stories.
    Same here. Loved everything about the first season, coudn't care any less about season 2. The fact that they never introduced any of her villains (except for the Baroness PVG) still irks me. I mean, I get it, some of her villains (Ares/Mars, Circe, Minister Blizzard, Queen Clea et al) would have been prohibitive for a 70's TV show budget, but Priscilla Rich, Dr. Poison, Cyber, and even Eviless could have been worked into the show, imo.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Huh...I wasn't familiar with that mini-series. I looked at the wikipedia page and it does seem that Steve had a significant role. So many potential threads or areas of development get started over the years and then get dropped...
    Yeah Steve was the main character and Cheetah was the leader of the villains sort of.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Same here. Loved everything about the first season, coudn't care any less about season 2. The fact that they never introduced any of her villains (except for the Baroness PVG) still irks me. I mean, I get it, some of her villains (Ares/Mars, Circe, Minister Blizzard, Queen Clea et al) would have been prohibitive for a 70's TV show budget, but Priscilla Rich, Dr. Poison, Cyber, and even Eviless could have been worked into the show, imo.
    That is the main reason why I don't like the series as much as everybody else seems to do. It really was the start of Wonder Woman's villains being seen as not good or worthy to adapt. Sure you could something about the budget. but they could have made quite a few work if they wanted to like you said.

I say thee NAY! Season 2.5 had good stuff in there! The Girl from Ilandia, Andros and the Skrill, the leprechaun one, Ishida the telekinetic man, plus it had all the clothes and costume changes, from diving, dirt bike racing to skateboarding.

The espionage angle is quintessential Diana Prince. Wonder Woman works well in that world.

Her relationship with Steve Jr. wasn't creepy because she didn't pursue him like his father, which lead to him staying at the office with the computers. She had more chemistry with Dack Rambo.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I say thee NAY! Season 2.5 had good stuff in there! The Girl from Ilandia, Andros and the Skrill, the leprechaun one, Ishida the telekinetic man, plus it had all the clothes and costume changes, from diving, dirt bike racing to skateboarding.

The espionage angle is quintessential Diana Prince. Wonder Woman works well in that world.

Her relationship with Steve Jr. wasn't creepy because she didn't pursue him like his father, which lead to him staying at the office with the computers. She had more chemistry with Dack Rambo.
    Okay, Thor!

I don’t agree with you for the most part about the CBS era, but “I say thee nay” will always get a chuckle out of me.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    When CBS introduced Steve Trevor Jr. I didn't bat an eye. But I was 11 then! Now it seems very hokey. (And the idea of Diana having a flirtation/relationship with her former crush's son is icky. Maybe it's one reason the show swiftly moved away from any romantic touches.) However, I find Trevor to be essential and even now I can't think of a satisfying way to bring him back thirty years later.

Oh, wait---something just occurred to me: CBS could have simply started from scratch. Their version could have been in a universe where Diana came to the US for the first time in the late 70s. TV execs had no conception of the multiverse back then! LOL

Overall, ABC handled the Steve/Diana ship pretty well for a 70s show with a very kid-friendly vibe. CBS, not so much. They had two whole seasons to flesh out a relationship with Diana Prince and Steve (or any supporting cast) and they didn't do it. As anyone who studied the show knows, the potential third season was going to eliminate Steve.
    You mean potential fourth season, right?

I never watched the third season of the show, but read that by the final episode Diana and he had already parted ways, right? Wasn't she going to work in LA in a new office or something?

Yeah, I definitely found it icky that they kept Lyle and tried to suggest both father and son would be appealing to Diana. You'd think in the 70s episodes, they'd just go for it and allow her to be with him (having missed out on his Dad and all) but I'm glad they didn't. The 70s were wild and all that, but that would have been a step too far for Wonder Woman.

So...why'd they even bother? Why do Steve Trevor Jr at all? I'm not sure. They would have been just as successful putting someone new in the pseudo-love interest category. I guess they had a contract in play with Lyle and figured why not keep him?

I really loved the first season. I have a feeling if they'd stayed in the WWII era for season two, we might have seen some more classic villains. Purely a guess on my part though. It just felt like the first season cared much more about the Wonder Woman mythos than the later seasons did. Once she moved to the 70s, the show kinda went on autopilot and lost all its Wonder Woman flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    You mean potential fourth season, right?

I never watched the third season of the show, but read that by the final episode Diana and he had already parted ways, right? Wasn't she going to work in LA in a new office or something?

Yeah, I definitely found it icky that they kept Lyle and tried to suggest both father and son would be appealing to Diana. You'd think in the 70s episodes, they'd just go for it and allow her to be with him (having missed out on his Dad and all) but I'm glad they didn't. The 70s were wild and all that, but that would have been a step too far for Wonder Woman.

So...why'd they even bother? Why do Steve Trevor Jr at all? I'm not sure. They would have been just as successful putting someone new in the pseudo-love interest category. I guess they had a contract in play with Lyle and figured why not keep him?

I really loved the first season. I have a feeling if they'd stayed in the WWII era for season two, we might have seen some more classic villains. Purely a guess on my part though. It just felt like the first season cared much more about the Wonder Woman mythos than the later seasons did. Once she moved to the 70s, the show kinda went on autopilot and lost all its Wonder Woman flavor.
    Well, I meant third season on CBS, but yeah, fourth overall.

Yes, the last (or nearly last) episode had her move to L.A.

I suppose you’re right that they could have ditched the “Trevor” character from the start and introduced a new love interest with no father/son baggage. But that would have left us with a show featuring virtually no comic book elements besides Diana. The Amazons disappeared—never to be seen or mentioned again about halfway through the first CBS year! I’m glad Trevor Jr. was there to at least give us some connection to the mythos.
    Last edited by Largo161; 02-06-2024 at 01:09 AM.

Astonishing Member

I think CBS pulled back on the classic elements for two reasons -- modernizing the show (which took away the charm of season 1) and reducing production costs. But it did lose too many comic book elements -- which is why as big a fan as I was of season 1, I eventually lost interest after season 2.

Incredible Member

Same. And it's a shame too, because several of the villains could have worked well in espionage-type adventures, like Dr Poison, Dr Cyber even Angle Man.

I'll always be disappointed they didn't give us a Cheetah/Lynda Wonder Woman battle.