Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Wolverine/X-23 Laura Kinney Appreciation 2024

Cloned from Logans damaged gene sample Laura was created to be a perfect weapon, able to kill anyone for a right price for her masters.
    Since then she came a long way to be a hero, learning about normal world around her and about herself, spend time searching for her soul and her own value.

Reading list:
    NYX (2003) - first appearance
    X-23 Innocence Lost
    X-23 Target X
    New X-Men - from issue 20
    X-Force (2008)
    X-23 one-shot and 2010 series
    Avengers Academy (from issue 23)/Avengers Arena/Venom: Circle of Four
    All New X-Men - from issue 20 and whole v2 series
    Death of Wolverine/Logan Legacy/Wolverines
    All New Wolverine
    X-Men Red
    X-23 (2018 series)
    Fallen Angels
    X-Men (2019) issues 5, 18, 19
    X-Men (2021) from 1 to 12
    Captain Marvel from issue 43
    X-Terminators

Last year was indeed not a good year for Laura. While in 2023 we got amazing X-Terminators series, that unfortunately was only a mini, she joined Captain Marvel series for issues 43-49 and had her own miniseries X-23 Deadly Regenesis (which was a flashback series), right now she is ongoingly written by Duggan (Vault!Laura/Talon), where she is mostly Synchs girlfriend or not even on panel since main X-Men comics is currently about resistance forces of mutants left on earth, and Young Laura/Wolverine is written by Percy, where she is mostly young, fem Logan, in X-Force series. Neither Laura has luck, but maybe it will change after Fall of House of X/Rise of Powers of X and hopefully two Laura mess will be sorted.

Happy New Year to Laura and her fans .

Hope 2024 is a better year for the real Laura.

Amazing Member

Here’s hoping 2024 is a better year for the Lauras Kinney! One of them, anyway. I’d take one.

Happy New Year to the coolest Wolverine!! Here's hoping she gets an awesome 2024!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Looking forward to some Laura in the new year.

I'm hoping that she won't be called Wolverine so that she will be written as though she has her own personality. I liked the idea of Laura dropping the X-23 name because of the negative connotations that the name has with her. But right now I would settle for a comic called "Laura Kinney: X-23". Just don't make her a Wolverine.

But I guess a lot of people spent all of last year's thread griping about how Laura was being written, so I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record.

Alright, let me see if I can get this thread going again after I killed it.

I think the best way out for the character would be to have the Talon version be revealed as a plant for the Children of the Vault and Laura/Wolverine to be the real Laura Kinney. I think that is the story that most people already think is going to happen. You get to keep the young version of the character without her repeating her old status quo of angsting about being just a clone.

Or do readers think that it is Talon who should stick around? I don't know what you would get from keeping her, seeing as most of her back story would be unknown to the readers. But some people may like her and have some better ideas for her than what we are seeing in the comics right now.

Talon is the real Laura, the one that was introduced way back in NYX. I dont think she should be discarded bc she sacrificed herself and was essentially held hostaged for decades/centuries against her will. She was the victim in all of this and I think it would be F'd up if they did that to her

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    Alright, let me see if I can get this thread going again after I killed it.

I think the best way out for the character would be to have the Talon version be revealed as a plant for the Children of the Vault and Laura/Wolverine to be the real Laura Kinney. I think that is the story that most people already think is going to happen. You get to keep the young version of the character without her repeating her old status quo of angsting about being just a clone.

Or do readers think that it is Talon who should stick around? I don't know what you would get from keeping her, seeing as most of her back story would be unknown to the readers. But some people may like her and have some better ideas for her than what we are seeing in the comics right now.
    I think the time for that reveal has come and gone (Like you'd assume she'd have had something to do with Children of the Vault), and the other one still wouldn't be the "real one" because they'd have still lost hundreds of years of their life.
    I'd much prefer Talon honestly if I had to pick one, peoples preference for the other one seems to be rooted in in how easy it would be to mentally shove all the issues under a rug, and pretend they never happened... which fixes nothing. (and I dislike the adamantium skeleton)
    On an emotional level, this era being wiped from the timeline would be my preferred solution, but I'd be the first to admit that would make for terrible praxis; so failing that, I'd prefer keeping both.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 01-05-2024 at 07:59 PM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Amazing Member

I suspect one dies in the era shift since it’s an easy death for shock value without seriously disrupting the broader status quo. As for which one, I want to say Wolverine since that’s the version of the character that’s actually known. Even if she isn’t technically the true one anymore. I agree that revealing Talon as a plant now is a little bit pointless. I think that was being set up for something but fell by the wayside as creative teams and planned change. You could do some really interesting stuff with Talon that keeps to the core appeal of the character without retreading old plot lines, I just have very little faith the X-Office does it.

So

Talon w/ Good Writing > Wolverine w/ Good Writing > Wolverine w/ Mediocre Writing > Talon w/ Mediocre Writing > They Both Die Or End Up In The Background Until A Writer Who Actually Likes Them Comes Along > Either w/ X-Force and Fallen Angels Tier Writing

If anything, I think the best scenario is to kill them both and resurrect her as an amalgamation of the two with all memories intact. She looks younger but all her history and memories remain intact

Well that's definitely looking like Bellona.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post

Well that's definitely looking like Bellona.
    She is called Bellona in the preview for issue 2. Its tempting but I'm not reading what ever mess the spider office is doing

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    She is called Bellona in the preview for issue 2. Its tempting but I'm not reading what ever mess the spider office is doing
    That looks like a fun comic. Did the cover artist do the interior art as well?

[QUOTE=Nazrel;6690837]
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    That looks like a fun comic. Did the cover artist do the interior art as well?
    Looks like it. In both cases it's Sergio Davila