Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Stephanie Brown-Spoiler/Robin/Batgirl Appreciation 2024

2023 was not one of Steph's better years, with a terrible interpretation of her in Gotham Knights that missed the entire point of the character by making her a rich celebrity's daughter, and sporadic guest appearances in the comics, though those guest appearances were often a highlight of those books.

Despite this, Steph continues to have more potential than most characters, with compelling relationships with most of the bat-family, most recently Jason Todd, and a unique niche as the sidekick Batman constantly rejected and always tried to force out and who therefore had to fight tooth and nail for every ounce of acceptance she has now.

May 2024 be the year DC figures out what a treasure they are wasting and puts Steph in a book with a good writer who knows what makes the Eggplant Avenger special.

Happy New Year to Steph and her fans !

Happy New Year everyone! I'm hoping this will be a great year for Spoilers all around!

Extraordinary Member

Is there any word on what comic Steph will appear in first in 2024?

Incredible Member

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

New thread, new Steph! I agree that 2023 wasn't the best, though I thought it definitely did have some good pieces, like the last arcs of Batgirls, and Beast World Tour: Gotham. The first three or four months look like a desert of Steph content, but hopefully the second half of the year will give us some good stuff!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Steph's first appearance in comics of 2024 appears to be in DC Power 2024, in the final story by Brandon Thomas, where she and Harper on on Duke Thomas's team fighting strange time-travelling villains! She looks pretty great!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Steph's first appearance in comics of 2024 appears to be in DC Power 2024, in the final story by Brandon Thomas, where she and Harper on on Duke Thomas's team fighting strange time-travelling villains! She looks pretty great!
    Yeah, fighting Chronos.
    That was quite some jump kick pose she had.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Yeah, fighting Chronos.
    That was quite some jump kick pose she had.
    I quite liked the art, though I can't quite figure out which was Khary Randolph and which was Serg Acuna.

Somebody finally remembers Harper .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Somebody finally remembers Harper .
    Someone outside of that terrible Gotham Knights show.

But she's in Wayne Family Adventures every now and then!

ANYHOO. I really hope that Steph shows up somewhere. I wasn't expecting her in DC Power, so I'll have to keep an eye out. But we have nothing in February, March, or April that is promising.

It still amuses me she was the only female Robin. And Jubilation Lee doesn't count since she was "Sparrow" She DRESSED like Robin, but nope.

Incredible Member

I quite liked the art, though I can't quite figure out which was Khary Randolph and which was Serg Acuna.
    It appears it was all Khary Randolph - it's a 10-page story, and Serg Acuna is credited only for pages 7-8. No Steph on those two pages.

Featuring the return of the left leg utility belt, not seen since Jorge Corona with Jessica Chen turned Batgirls into sort of simplified animation-ready figures.

Also, blades on her gauntlets here - were those ever part of any Spoiler suit? And, a yellow Bat symbol.

Maybe this is a sort of Batgirl/Rebirth Spoiler/Batgirl mashup. It's a more serious, more dangerous, look.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    It still amuses me she was the only female Robin. And Jubilation Lee doesn't count since she was "Sparrow" She DRESSED like Robin, but nope.
    Well, there's also Carrie Kelley, and the Tales from a Dead Earth Annual series Triss on the spaceship. But I still think Steph is the only female Robin in mainstream continuity, and that's very special!

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    It appears it was all Khary Randolph - it's a 10-page story, and Serg Acuna is credited only for pages 7-8. No Steph on those two pages.

Featuring the return of the left leg utility belt, not seen since Jorge Corona with Jessica Chen turned Batgirls into sort of simplified animation-ready figures.

Also, blades on her gauntlets here - were those ever part of any Spoiler suit? And, a yellow Bat symbol.

Maybe this is a sort of Batgirl/Rebirth Spoiler/Batgirl mashup. It's a more serious, more dangerous, look.
    The costume is pretty cool looking!

There's a big surprise for Steph fans in today's How To Lose A Guy Gardner in 10 Days - Steph (and Cass) appear in Babs and Dick's date night story - and it's a lot more than the cameo in DC power!

All-New Member YouKnowItMakesSense's Avatar

Steph is a breath of fresh air in many ways, but I'm biased since I always drifted towards Robin comics as a pre-teen. Hopefully we get some good Steph content in the year to come. I think a good Birds of Prey style team with Barbara and the BatFam members who aren't in their own book like Tim and Cass could be a good shout, á la Batgirls but with more scope.