Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Tim Drake: Robin, Red Robin, Appreciation 2024

Link to old thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2023

New year, which means a new season to appreciate the 3rd Robin, Tim Drake.

What would you guys like done with the character this year?

Mighty Member

Move past Robin

Get rid of Bernard

Happy New Year to Tim and his fans .

Extraordinary Member

Y’know what, for fun, and because it actually fits the appreciation thread ethos, what’s your guys’ favorite Tim stories?

For me, in no particular ranking:

- Robin (the first mini): Arguably Chuck Dixon’s best contained story in his defining runs with the character, I think this series gave Tim his clearest voice, characterization, MO, and what types of chemistry he could have with different characters. King Snake also makes a great starter villain, even if later stories would dilute his effectiveness, since here he’s at the height of his connections, power, and confidence, and genuinely a great Bond Villain-level threat. King Snake also set a bar for “arch-enemy” for Tim that many of the

- Chuck Dixon’s run on Robin (ongoing): The sheer consistency of this run is semi-legendary, and likely responsible for the faith DC has in most Bat-family spin-offs. I don't think there’s any one arc that’s as good as the mini, and a lot of the story is just solid monthly adventures with somewhat significant subplots - most famously, the organic and surprising (even to the writer) development of Stephanie Brown as arguably the most important love interest Tim has had and a string character in her own right.

- Young Justice (the comic) - As good as Geoff Johns’s run on Teen Titans would be, I don’t think it ever really sniffed the quality of Peter David’s Young Justice comic, especially for the characters.

- Red Robin - Chris Yost knocked it out of the park at the start, and Fabian Nicieza had a great run going afterwards.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Y’know what, for fun, and because it actually fits the appreciation thread ethos, what’s your guys’ favorite Tim stories?

- Robin (the first mini): Arguably Chuck Dixon’s best contained story in his defining runs with the character, I think this series gave Tim his clearest voice, characterization, MO, and what types of chemistry he could have with different characters. King Snake also makes a great starter villain, even if later stories would dilute his effectiveness, since here he’s at the height of his connections, power, and confidence, and genuinely a great Bond Villain-level threat. King Snake also set a bar for “arch-enemy” for Tim that many of the

- Chuck Dixon’s run on Robin (ongoing): The sheer consistency of this run is semi-legendary, and likely responsible for the faith DC has in most Bat-family spin-offs. I don't think there’s any one arc that’s as good as the mini, and a lot of the story is just solid monthly adventures with somewhat significant subplots - most famously, the organic and surprising (even to the writer) development of Stephanie Brown as arguably the most important love interest Tim has had and a string character in her own right.

- Young Justice (the comic) - As good as Geoff Johns’s run on Teen Titans would be, I don’t think it ever really sniffed the quality of Peter David’s Young Justice comic, especially for the characters.

- Red Robin - Chris Yost knocked it out of the park at the start, and Fabian Nicieza had a great run going afterwards.
    ...Robin: Reborn

...Robin: Triumphant

...Robin: War of the Dargons

... Robin: Unmasked

...Lonely Place of Dying

... Robin: Search for a Hero

...Red Robin: The Grail

... Red Robin: Collision

... Red Robin: Seven Days of Death

And pretty much most of the Young Justice stuff. No particular order for everything listed.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Nothing to add to this, perfect.

I loved everything Dixon did with the character.
    I can't forget the other two minis "Joker's wild" and "Cry of the Huntress"
    And also Knightfall, Prodigal and all catastropghic events in Batman titles "contagion", "cataclysm" and "no Man's Land".
    All these, and the ones you mentioned, made Tim Drake my favorite character.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I really liked the rapport that Dixon built between Tim and Helena B. I miss their friendship. I miss a lot of things about Tim and a good place to start getting those back would be to get rid of Bernard.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I really liked the rapport that Dixon built between Tim and Helena B. I miss their friendship. I miss a lot of things about Tim and a good place to start getting those back would be to get rid of Bernard.
    They did have a fun dynamic.

Forgot to mention- Robin/Batgirl: Fresh Blood

I'd add that to my list as well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KrustyKid View Post
    Forgot to mention- Robin/Batgirl: Fresh Blood

I'd add that to my list as well.
    I’ve always felt the external conflict dealing with Penguin trying to take over Blockbuster’s turf was always small potatoes compared to the genuine skill and intrigue of “Cass and Tim share an awkward confess break, and talk things out.”
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I’ve always felt the external conflict dealing with Penguin trying to take over Blockbuster’s turf was always small potatoes compared to the genuine skill and intrigue of “Cass and Tim share an awkward confess break, and talk things out.”
    Pretty much. That's what I enjoyed most about that entire sequence.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Have to wonder why DC finds it so hard to rebrand Tim when both Dick/Jason were able to successfully rebrand.

Is it just because DC isnt as creative as it was once was?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Have to wonder why DC finds it so hard to rebrand Tim when both Dick/Jason were able to successfully rebrand.

Is it just because DC isnt as creative as it was once was?
    No one will collectively accept Red Robin.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    No one will collectively accept Red Robin.
    Yeah and it begs the question why they cant come up with a more suitable non-Robin identity for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Yeah and it begs the question why they cant come up with a more suitable non-Robin identity for him.
    "Drake" did not help .