Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Regarding the new costume, I'd be more okay with it if we saw just Greer in human form occasionally. Maybe a change in her abilities where she can only be Tigra for so many hours without changing back to human form. It'd be a nice chance to show off Greer's abilities when she isn't Tigra. And I have a thing for sexy brunettes!

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Regarding the new costume, I'd be more okay with it if we saw just Greer in human form occasionally. Maybe a change in her abilities where she can only be Tigra for so many hours without changing back to human form. It'd be a nice chance to show off Greer's abilities when she isn't Tigra. And I have a thing for sexy brunettes!
    I know what you mean as I have thought that for a long time about Greer. Marvel does not seem interested in showing us her Greer side or her heightened human stats (which were on a par with a costumed Hellcat, before Patsy got demonic enhancements).

Has Tigra even used the Cat-Head mystic amulet to revert back to Greer in recent times (last 20 years)?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I know what you mean as I have thought that for a long time about Greer. Marvel does not seem interested in showing us her Greer side or her heightened human stats (which were on a par with a costumed Hellcat, before Patsy got demonic enhancements).

Has Tigra even used the Cat-Head mystic amulet to revert back to Greer in recent times (last 20 years)?
    I doubt it. I think the last time was her mini-series by Christina Z and Mike Deodato. Despite some problems I had with that series (didn't care for Deodato using the Avengers cartoon version of Tigra as his guide and that Greer was from NYC when her original series showed she was from Chicago) I loved the chance to see Greer again. It's a great dynamic -- and being that MCU loves to show their characters without masks -- Tigra/Greer would do well in that environment (TV series?). It also works for comic books, but Marvel seems to prefer there characters stuck in one form or the other.

Regarding Cat versus Hellcat, Greer was likely above Patsy in terms of abilities due to her Dr. Tumolo's enhancements. I'm not very aware of Patsy's upgrades -- despite reading that mini-series so many years ago. Was that written by Steve Englehart -- the guy who created Hellcat?
    Last edited by kcekada; 01-09-2024 at 06:02 PM.

I doubt it. I think the last time was her mini-series by Christina Z and Mike Deodato. Despite some problems I had with that series (didn't care for Deodato using the Avengers cartoon version of Tigra as his guide and that Greer was from NYC when her original series showed she was from Chicago) I loved the chance to see Greer again. It's a great dynamic -- and being that MCU loves to show their characters without masks -- Tigra/Greer would do well in that environment (TV series?). It also works for comic books, but Marvel seems to prefer there characters stuck in one form or the other.

Regarding Cat versus Hellcat, Greer was likely above Patsy in terms of abilities due to her Dr. Tumolo's enhancements. I'm not very aware of Patsy's upgrades -- despite reading that mini-series so many years ago. Was that written by Steve Englehart -- the guy who created Hellcat?
    I'm not sure who wrote that series.

I agree that Greer, with her training, chemical and electrcal enhancements by Dr Tumolo should be above Patsy. But Marvel made it seem like Patsy herself gained powers, instead of the suit giving it to her. In addition, the suit, while able to enhance any woman's abilities, was specifically tailored to Greer's physiology. So yeah, I too believe Greer has enhanced abilities over Patsy.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Astonishing Member

Right. That doesn't mean I didn't love Patsy as Hellcat. I liked her first origin where the outfit enhanced her natural abilities. Later, she just had to go by the short training she had under Moondragon. I hoped the Kyle Richmomd would have upgraded her gear when he upgraded his own and made her more like Cat with better mask and claws so she could scale walls. She didn't even have a night lens in her mask as the eyes in her mask were open unlike Greer's.

You know, it's odd that someone hasn't bothered to put the two in a mini-series -- especially since they seemed a bit offish with each other.

Right. That doesn't mean I didn't love Patsy as Hellcat. I liked her first origin where the outfit enhanced her natural abilities. Later, she just had to go by the short training she had under Moondragon. I hoped the Kyle Richmomd would have upgraded her gear when he upgraded his own and made her more like Cat with better mask and claws so she could scale walls. She didn't even have a night lens in her mask as the eyes in her mask were open unlike Greer's.

You know, it's odd that someone hasn't bothered to put the two in a mini-series -- especially since they seemed a bit offish with each other.
    "A Tale of Two Kitties" - my first exposure to both characters at once.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of what Tigra's age is?
    I don't expect an exact age number given Marvel's sliding timescale.
    What I would like to know is more a general idea. Is she close Toney Stark's age or Peter Parker's or somewhere in between?

Astonishing Member

Closer to Peter Parker.

Around the time Pete was still in college, Greer quit college to get married, but her husband was a cop who got killed shortly thereafter. She was looking for work and became a research assistant to the woman who was working on a program to help women achieve their potential. It was similar to the super soldier enhancement that Steve Rogers received, but not the same.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    "A Tale of Two Kitties" - my first exposure to both characters at once.
    Note how Milgrom drew Patsy's boots with claws. That was something that got lost in the Defenders once Don Perlin took over the art. If anyone ever puts them in a book together, I'd suggest naming it 'Claws of the Cats'.

Note how Milgrom drew Patsy's boots with claws. That was something that got lost in the Defenders once Don Perlin took over the art. If anyone ever puts them in a book together, I'd suggest naming it 'Claws of the Cats'.
    Yeah, and I remeber reading something somewhere that Patsy stated that she replaced the costume, boots and gloves numerous times as the costume got torn in battles, settling on boots. But I thought she always had the cable-claws.

Closer to Peter Parker.

Around the time Pete was still in college, Greer quit college to get married, but her husband was a cop who got killed shortly thereafter. She was looking for work and became a research assistant to the woman who was working on a program to help women achieve their potential. It was similar to the super soldier enhancement that Steve Rogers received, but not the same.
    Thank you. I knew that she had a dead husband, so I thought that she might be a bit older. Didn't know about the research assistant thing.

Astonishing Member

Thank you for the thread! I've been a big fan since first learning of the Cat/Tigra in Avengers #144 -- which was the debut of Hellcat (love Patsy, but thought Greer looked better in the outfit).

A little clarification on your post. The amulet currently allows Tigra to transform back into Greer. At times, it's been stated that the Greer form is only an illusion, but other times it's an actual physical transformation. The empathy powers were there before she was transformed into a cat person. So even as Greer, she has abilties on par with Spider-Man, but not quite to his degree. As Tigra, her speed, agility and strength are easily on par with Spidey's.

Greer's form of empathy (which is rarely shown in stories) allows her to detect injuries in other beings (including animals). I would guess that this also enables her to read a person's emotional status.

I know she's been a supporting character in the new Moon Knight series, and will be part of the team in the upcoming Blood Hunt series (Avengers -related title featuring vampires as the antagonists).
    Would be cool if Tigra becomes a reoccurring guest in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man and Daredevil respectively.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I'm not sure who wrote that series.

I agree that Greer, with her training, chemical and electrcal enhancements by Dr Tumolo should be above Patsy. But Marvel made it seem like Patsy herself gained powers, instead of the suit giving it to her. In addition, the suit, while able to enhance any woman's abilities, was specifically tailored to Greer's physiology. So yeah, I too believe Greer has enhanced abilities over Patsy.
    I wish that Marvel had made Tigra her own character instead of using Greer Nelson as its avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I wish that Marvel had made Tigra her own character instead of using Greer Nelson as its avatar.
    Yes, I know what you mean. There is enough room in the MU for more than 1 cat-lady.

Astonishing Member

But she can be both, and I'd like to see that explored a bit more. The Cat was a great character, but after issue 1, the stories in her series weren't so great. Too late to change things, but I agree that Tigra should have been a different person than Greer.