Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    That was during the JLI era, right? My guess is that Giffen, DeMatteis, and Helfer shot down using Guy in that story because they didn't want to deal with the fallout on Guy since it would have thrown an unwanted monkey wrench on how they wanted to portray Guy. It would certainly fit in with their 2000's "Super Buddies" stories in which they rather viciously mocked or (in Guy's case) outright ignored any posi-JLI attempts at character development.
    I forget who wrote this, but John later talked about his behavior in that event as being not so much arrogance, but him essentially overcompensating and trying too hard to prove himself after a series of rough spots in his life (I think Katma died shortly before that), which I thought was understandable.

I can't speak to what constitutes a stereotype with John because I'm not black and it's not really my place to make those judgements, but a lot of what I liked about John versus the other Lanterns was how human and fallible he was. He had a lot of turmoil and flaws and demons that he struggled with and eventually overcame and, to me, those never felt like negative things about the character. They felt inspiring to me, especially since I could relate to a lot of those things when I was an angry young man myself.

There's a quote I remember from somewhere that goes something like, "Though one may defeat a thousand men on the battlefield, he who conquers himself is the noblest victor." A lot of what I found heroic about John was less about him being this perfect hero, but somebody who had been through a lot of pain and endured, and triumphed over his demons. To me, anyway, I found those aspects of John inspiring and it made me feel connected to him.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't think the Corps is the issue. As you said, Hal developed a set of rogues and he was part of the Corps that entire time. I agree the way the Corps has been structured since GL:Rebirth is more the issue - with all these earth Lanterns on top of each other, whether they're on earth or in space, there isn't enough room for each to have their own thing because there are so many earth Lanterns now and writers have to keep writing stories with large groups Lanterns rather than use team-ups sparingly like pre-Crisis.

But I think it does boil down to your last point - "end of the day, the sales aren't there." Everything flows from that - if there was money in it, like the Halcyon days of early Johns, there'd be half a dozen GL books on the stands. Nobody would have to be used as a "subset of Hal's stories," each would have their own space, and DC wouldn't feel a need to chase that temporary sales spike by introducing a shiny new GL.

That said, I've been enjoying having a backup in the GL book.(so they share a title, but not the limelight and I loved the old "Tales of the GLC" - a lot of story can be told with limited space) If they continue to use that space to develop the other GLs a bit (rather than stuff like SinSons) maybe something can come from that?
    It is kind of hard to believe that at one point the core four Earth Lanterns were all headlining their own books.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't think the Corps is the issue. As you said, Hal developed a set of rogues and he was part of the Corps that entire time. I agree the way the Corps has been structured since GL:Rebirth is more the issue - with all these earth Lanterns on top of each other, whether they're on earth or in space, there isn't enough room for each to have their own thing because there are so many earth Lanterns now and writers have to keep writing stories with large groups Lanterns rather than use team-ups sparingly like pre-Crisis.

But I think it does boil down to your last point - "end of the day, the sales aren't there." Everything flows from that - if there was money in it, like the Halcyon days of early Johns, there'd be half a dozen GL books on the stands. Nobody would have to be used as a "subset of Hal's stories," each would have their own space, and DC wouldn't feel a need to chase that temporary sales spike by introducing a shiny new GL.

That said, I've been enjoying having a backup in the GL book.(so they share a title, but not the limelight and I loved the old "Tales of the GLC" - a lot of story can be told with limited space) If they continue to use that space to develop the other GLs a bit (rather than stuff like SinSons) maybe something can come from that?
    The differences between Hal being in the corps, prior to all the other human lanterns being created are––

He was the lone GL from Earth, for decades. The book was, by definition, solely about what it's like to be the human GL stationed on Earth. The Guardians and the rest of the corps barely ever showed up.

Those decades gave him time not only to develop his own rogues but to have a TIERED rogues gallery with cosmic enemies as well as more mundane, earthly ones. He had friends, family and a love interest. He was THE Green Lantern and it was fine. Boring as a dry toast, but fine. (GL was never higher than a B Teamer prior to Johns and slid right back over the time since. Sales don't lie.)

Guy, John, Charlie, Jess, Simon and now Jo do not have that time and weren't given it during the much-invoked Johns era. They were adjuncts to Hal's story. Jo wasn't even around in that era. Far Sector is awesome but it's a sci-fi story, a novel, not something that builds her a series to carry on her own. Which was, unshockingly, what it was designed to be. Taking it from YOUNG ANIMAL into DC PROPER, always seemed a mistake to me.

Only Kyle, with his single decade as solo GL was able to get a few unique-to-him rogues and rotating supporting cast. Only when Guy was peeled off into his own WARRIOR series did he get near having the same. Aside from that, even when solo, Guy was largely played as joke character.

The reason both PKJ and I have harkened back to the MOSAIC run is because it remains the only time John was given character development free of being in Hal's shadow. And yeah, it TRULY sucks that Gerard Jones was the creator of that story. These are the scraps we're left with.

I don't think DC can have it both ways. Either he's cut loose to have his own adventures, friends, family and rogues or they need to commit to him ALWAYS being just a support character for Hal. Not doing so leads to low sales and friction in the fan base.

I think he deserves better but he's not my character.
    Last edited by Redjack; 02-16-2024 at 06:09 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It is kind of hard to believe that at one point the core four Earth Lanterns were all headlining their own books.
    Its hard to believe the time when the GL franchise could support multiple books was only a decade ago.

Shame how far its fallen cause of DC's mismanagement.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Solicits from AiptComics

I am enjoying the focus on the Dark Star here.

Since that was actually a major thing specifically associated with John, its great to lean into it and give it more development.

Its a developing his own individual mythos instead of just appropriating Sinestro like always.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 02-16-2024 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    John usually shared the book with Guy and Tomasi was more interested in Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    John usually shared the book with Guy and Tomasi was more interested in Guy.
    Around the Venditti era Hal had his solo, John had GLC, Guy had Red Lanterns, and Kyle was in New Guardians.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

My activity on this website has diminished greatly but I just wanted to say that I’m LOVING PKJ and Montos run so far and I’m excited for more.

- The new suit is not drastically different but at least it’s something new.
    - We are seeing more character from John than we have ever seen in YEARS! I’m honestly dreading the consequences of fake Ellie and her interactions with their mom.
    - Seeing John have some type of life outside the Corps is nice. Bringing him back to Earth was the best decision for the character.
    - I hope we get some Katma shoutouts and hopefully a revival.
    - I’m glad John is away from the GLC but I do miss them and the Guardians. So far the United Planets concept hasn’t interested me. Idk I just find the cosmic side of DC boring.

I’m going to miss Varron, he’s such a dick even as a zombie that it’s hilarious. He hates John’s guts and is out to screw with him however he can. Taking the form of John’s dad to taunt him is such a petty move but I love it.

John gave as good as he got though! Damn the Revenant Queen is an Old God possessing the corpse of John’s pregnant wife? That is fucked up, but I love that PKJ is bringing over his Old God plotlines from the Warworld Saga.

Damn I think the Darkstar itself is an Aspect of Olgrun, since it “shines his light”. And the Revenant Queen wants him to possess John… we saw Stewart purge Shepherd of the infection and buff himself to be like his Guardian/Builder counterpart, hopefully that gives John the power and will to resist. Can’t wait for the next issue.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

This book is just so goddamn cool! PKJ's script and art by Montos and Adriana Lucas is phenomenal. I need to reread the Warworld Saga for the Olgrun lore, but yeah the RQ using John's wife (maybe that world's Katma) as a host is all kinds of messed up. Varron is pretty fun to to see get his ass kicked again and again, the guy just can't let go of a grudge lol. Katanak kind of went out like a boss cutting off his hand to let his ring escape with a message. John and Shepherd are quite the team and you gotta love seeing John being a badass and getting a level up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Damn I think the Darkstar itself is an Aspect of Olgrun, since it “shines his light”.
    This would be really interesting.

The construct of Ellie is becoming more and more unsettling for me.

Varron doubles down on being a tool every issue he is in even after becoming a Radiant Zombie. Though it's kind of comical how he brings up John's dad to use it against him and John just...blasts him with no reaction whatsoever. I wasn't expecting John's dad to look like...a dude though. Kind of got that Prince aesthetic to his face and hair.

Construct showcase! So many Mecha's you'd be surprised Kyle isn't physically involved in this at all (even if he's talking to John through his ring).

Watch that message to the United Planet make things worse or they just come in and arrest John after he's finished up with the Radiant Queen.

Just when Shepherd has finally grown on people, he dies. But that's just an opportunity for John to really flex his powers and boost him.

I thought Radiant Queen was going to turn out to be Merayn but it's all building up Olgrun as PKJ's Big Bad.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Montos is pulling some epic construct game here, fantastic set-pieces.

Kudos on Katanak for going out like a boss. Guy had the potential to be a GL after all, in a better world he very well could have lived up to it.

Interesting reveal about the Darkstar, looks like we're getting some arc-welding connecting it to the First World myth arc PKJ is doing.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Anybody want to bet that Katma Tui will be resurrected by the end of all this?

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Anybody want to bet that Katma Tui will be resurrected by the end of all this?
    Gosh I hope so!

I went back to read World Without Justice League Green Lantern story that PKJ wrote and... that was John's corrupted child, right?

And last page is hinting that his sister's construct is getting corrupted, I hope that she won't end up killing John's mom.

John's dad is really not what I was expecting him to look like.