Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm a KendraxCarter shipper myself but I think John needs his own LI's.
    I want John/Shayera, because of the JL/JLU toons lol.

Although I already know that's not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    It's sad to see PKJ stepping away but, the company seems not to understand, there is no quick fix for John Stewart. Whoever is writing him is going to need AT LEAST two years to pull him into something worthwhile. Every time a writer steps away the two-year clock resets to zero.

Welcome the terror dome, kids. This has been John Stewart's path since he was born.
    That's exactly why I've been very disappointed that PKJ is leaving. It's not only because the story is so good, but because I'm afraid that these developments are going to be erased if another writer writes John.

Extraordinary Member

The problem with creators and audiences now is basically the same. Both groups, predominantly, want things NOW when some of those things, by definition, take time.

John has no rogues of his own. Both PKJ and I tried to give him some. But they can't have any weight as Rogues unless we give them time to sit, and grow in the minds of fans. You cannot just snap your fingers and cut to the chase. Take a look at the Batman books. How many new Batman rogues have been created in the last ten years? How many does anyone care about?

And that's BATMAN.

John hasn't had anything like that sort of care and attention over the decades.

So, unless some writer gets a lottery win in their first 2 issues on the title (something no one can predict and no formula can ensure), John won't ever be given the sufficient space and time to solve these issues.

This stems, also, from the fact that he was created to be an ADJUNCT hero, secondary at best to the saga of Hal Jordan. Though my truncated run was not successful in extricating him from Hal's shadow and making John something unique, for him to be given the necessary attention and time either Hal has to go, for real (never happen) or John needs to be severed from the mass of the GL books and continuity for several years, at least.

This will also never happen.
    What about the “Wolverine” treatment?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

All things considered, better to enjoy PKJ for as long as we have him. Get the trades when you can.

Though hopefully if the positive reception is outspoken enough that might convince them to extend PKJ's run like they did with Poison Ivy and Green Arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    What about the “Wolverine” treatment?
    please explain.

I enjoyed reading PKJ interview. It's nice that he's listening to the fans and mentioned about his past discussion with Redjack about John Stewart.

Since John is a soldier (which is nothing wrong with that, since more people identify him with that background), he also wants to represent the Military community, so this is a nice way to have those see themselves as that character. I have seen a posts where veterans were looking for a John Stewart book recommendation. So they're definitely out there.

He also teases who the Revenant Queen is in the upcoming issue and that we're going to get a surprise character from Action Comics in the new arc. I wonder which character from Action Comics is?

He also noted that we're going to know more about John's romantic life with Alien women. I wonder whether Merayn Dethalis is going to make an appearance. We already seen a little tease with her being a construct. So John's definitely have her in his mind when he made that construct. It kind of makes me wonder whether she's the Revenant Queen?

He also believes that John Stewart is the GREATEST Lantern:

It was really important to me to show how complex John is, and how many different facets there are to him and why that makes him the greatest lantern ever. Lantern fans all have their favorite, right? And everyone’s always asking me online, ‘Who’s your favorite lantern or who’s the best?’

Asking which one is my favorite, I regard that as kind of a trap, but I’ll tell you right now that John Stewart is the greatest lantern. Like, I truly believe. He’s just the one who was always supposed to do it. He didn’t have to prove himself. He was just born to do it. And I hope I’ve shown that, not just in his military background, but the huge debt of inspiration that he owes his mother. She was the great civil rights leader who inspired him and who instilled in him the resilience and the guts to take off his mask right from the jump. No other superhero does [that]. Superman’s got Clark Kent and Batman’s got Bruce Wayne, but John Stewart is Green Lantern, everyone knows that. And I think that just makes him incredibly courageous and awesome.
    This was a terrific interview. That's why I'm so disappointed about him leaving. I don't think I ever been this disappointed when a writer left a series.

You can read the interview here.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    He also believes that John Stewart is the GREATEST Lantern
    Hear, hear! PKJ has such a good grasp of John. I, too, will be disappointed when he leaves the book. It's wishful thinking but I hope DC extends his run or brings him back later.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I enjoyed reading PKJ interview. It's nice that he's listening to the fans and mentioned about his past discussion with Redjack about John Stewart.

Since John is a soldier (which is nothing wrong with that, since more people identify him with that background), he also wants to represent the Military community, so this is a nice way to have those see themselves as that character. I have seen a posts where veterans were looking for a John Stewart book recommendation. So they're definitely out there.

He also teases who the Revenant Queen is in the upcoming issue and that we're going to get a surprise character from Action Comics in the new arc. I wonder which character from Action Comics is?

He also noted that we're going to know more about John's romantic life with Alien women. I wonder whether Merayn Dethalis is going to make an appearance. We already seen a little tease with her being a construct. So John's definitely have her in his mind when he made that construct. It kind of makes me wonder whether she's the Revenant Queen?

He also believes that John Stewart is the GREATEST Lantern:

This was a terrific interview. That's why I'm so disappointed about him leaving. I don't think I ever been this disappointed when a writer left a series.

You can read the interview here.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    Hear, hear! PKJ has such a good grasp of John. I, too, will be disappointed when he leaves the book. It's wishful thinking but I hope DC extends his run or brings him back later.
    PKJ seems to have true passion for the characters he writes and I think it really shows in his books. This is evidenced by the interviews he gives on said characters. Seems like he would only write a character who he has that passion for, and wouldn’t just take a gig for the hell of it. His Superman run was great and Warworld was an all timer (for me anyway) and his John is shaping up the same way.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member

please explain.
    Give bits and pieces of his personal villains/supporting cast in team books first (where John is an integral member), like JLA, giving them time to sit and grow with fans in the team book first. Before getting his new series with those supporting characters.

Just how Wolverine got his series, after the years of build up in the X-Men title with Sabretooth, Madripoor, Alpha Flight, Wendigo, the Reavers, Lady Deathstrike, Patch identity, etc.

Obviously you’re a comic writer so you get the gist of what I’m trying to say.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 02-16-2024 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Give bits and pieces of his personal villains/supporting cast in team books first (where John is an integral member), like JLA, giving them time to sit and grow with fans in the team book first. Before getting his new series with those supporting characters.

Just how Wolverine got his series, after the years of build up in the X-Men title with Sabertooth, Madripoor, Alpha Flight, Wendigo, the Reavers, Lady Deathstrike, Patch identity, etc.

Obviously you’re a comic writer so you get the gist of what I’m trying to say.
    I see what you're saying and I agree. It's literally what my initial pitch for the John mini-series would have begun. The biggest obstacle is the Corps itself.

Unlike the X-Men or Avengers, John, Guy and Kyle have no superhero identity outside the corps. The X-Men is more like a family than a team so, it's easy to send any of them off on solo adventures; the Corps is structured like a paramilitary organization. They have assigned sectors and duties. The y have rules protocols and a collective history. Only Hal and Kyle have their own rogues, personal to them. The rest share the enemies the corps has earned over the millennia.

John doesn't get to go to Madripoor, IOW, or not be a GL unless he's NOT A GL. Which was what I pitched and what Didio bought. John quits. Takes a leave of absence, goes on walkabout around the galaxy, gets into all manner of crap, pissing off all the wrong people and MAKING ENEMIES OF HIS OWN.

By folding all that into one narrative with the main book, it destroyed the ability to tell that story. Even PKJ has John NOT A GL at the start of his run. THat's not an accidental choice. It's basically the only way to get any flexibility within this established mythology. it's why so many writers and editors like to get rid of the guardians and the cull the corps from time to time. The structure has reached a point where it constrains the ability to be creative with GL. This is a problem with a lot of corporate comics and something I could give a TED talk about.

Kyle has a stack of his own Rogues because he spent a decade as the only Green Lantern. None of the others do because they all function as subsets of Hal's story. There's a lot of corporate will to get John equalized with Hal in terms of media saturation but, I think, precious little editorial or creative will to spend the necessary time. it can't happen with the snap of fingers.

I would have done it my way. PKJ would have done it his way but, end of the day, the sales aren't there and PKJ is too good a writer to waste on a title that isn't going to survive another year.
    Last edited by Redjack; 02-16-2024 at 06:44 PM.

Solicits from AiptComics

Lantern Shepherd and Kyle Rayner discover the shocking history of the ancient Dark Star of the Fenn! Meanwhile, John Stewart is trapped in its orbit, trying desperately to save his mysterious new allies from the undead First World armies searching for him! Can John prevent them from escaping the Dark Star and overrunning the universe? And can Shepherd find John in time to save his family from the mysterious new force now threatening the Earth, the shapeshifting STAR SHROUD?

Extraordinary Member

I see what you're saying and I agree. It's literally what my initial pitch for the John mini-series would have begun. The biggest obstacle is the Corps itself.

Unlike the X-Men or Avengers, John, Guy and Kyle have no superhero identity outside the corps. The X-Men is more like a family than a team so, it's easy to send any of them off on solo adventures; the Corps is structured like a paramilitary organization. They have assigned sectors and duties. The y have rules protocols and a collective history. Only Hal and Kyle have their own rogues, personal to them. The rest share the enemies the corps has earned over the millennia.

John doesn't get to go to Madripoor, IOW, or not be a GL unless he's NOT A GL. Which was what I pitched and what Didio bought. John quits. Takes a leave of absence, goes on walkabout around the galaxy, gets into all manner of crap, pissing off all the wrong people and MAKING ENEMIES OF HIS OWN.

By folding all that into one narrative with the main book, it destroyed the ability to tell that story. Even PKJ has John NOT A GL at the start of his run. THat's not an accidental choice. It's basically the only way to get any flexibility within this established mythology. it's what so many writers and editors like to get rid of the guardians and the cull the corps from time to time. The structure has reached a point where it constrains the ability to be creative with GL. This is a problem with a lot of corporate comics and something I could give a TED talk about.

Kyle has a stack of his own Rogues because he spent a decade as the only Green Lantern. None of the others do because they all function as subsets of Hal's story. There's a lot of corporate will to get John equalized with Hal in terms of media saturation but, I think, precious little editorial or creative will to spend the necessary time. it can't happen with the snap of fingers.

I would have done it my way. PKJ would have done it his way but, end of the day, the sales aren't there and PKJ is too good a writer to waste on a title that isn't going to survive another year.
    Another point is you also have Simon, Jessica, Keli and Sojourner as GLs too. So you’ve got everyone fighting for panel time

By folding all that into one narrative with the main book, it destroyed the ability to tell that story. Even PKJ has John NOT A GL at the start of his run. THat's not an accidental choice. It's basically the only way to get any flexibility within this established mythology. it's what so many writers and editors like to get rid of the guardians and the cull the corps from time to time. The structure has reached a point where it constrains the ability to be creative with GL. This is a problem with a lot of corporate comics and something I could give a TED talk about.

I don't think the Corps is the issue. As you said, Hal developed a set of rogues and he was part of the Corps that entire time. I agree the way the Corps has been structured since GL:Rebirth is more the issue - with all these earth Lanterns on top of each other, whether they're on earth or in space, there isn't enough room for each to have their own thing because there are so many earth Lanterns now and writers have to keep writing stories with large groups Lanterns rather than use team-ups sparingly like pre-Crisis.

But I think it does boil down to your last point - "end of the day, the sales aren't there." Everything flows from that - if there was money in it, like the Halcyon days of early Johns, there'd be half a dozen GL books on the stands. Nobody would have to be used as a "subset of Hal's stories," each would have their own space, and DC wouldn't feel a need to chase that temporary sales spike by introducing a shiny new GL.

That said, I've been enjoying having a backup in the GL book.(so they share a title, but not the limelight and I loved the old "Tales of the GLC" - a lot of story can be told with limited space) If they continue to use that space to develop the other GLs a bit (rather than stuff like SinSons) maybe something can come from that?
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-16-2024 at 01:40 PM.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

This video brought up something I never considered... what if the Revenant Queen is Rose Hardin and we'll get some answers that bridge the end of Mosaic to the current era. However, I'm fairly certain that the astronaut possessed at the start of the arc had blonde hair so maybe it's just the lighting making it look red OR the full transformation gives the host the RQ's physical characteristics.

Though the ART was exceptional, that was a shitty story and part of the problem with what's been done with John over the years. That plot was written with GUY GARDNER in the John Stewart role but was changed to be John for -- reasons? John's character at that time was not as it was depicted in that story. Not even close. But the story needed him to be that way for the plot to move forward. It should have been Guy.

IMO: that story went a long way to breaking John for all time which is why I brought Xanshi back. I'm personally dead sick of that albatross– a cataclysm that was the result of the arrogance and failure of an "angry black man." Snore.
    That was during the JLI era, right? My guess is that Giffen, DeMatteis, and Helfer shot down using Guy in that story because they didn't want to deal with the fallout on Guy since it would have thrown an unwanted monkey wrench on how they wanted to portray Guy. It would certainly fit in with their 2000's "Super Buddies" stories in which they rather viciously mocked or (in Guy's case) outright ignored any posi-JLI attempts at character development.