Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if by the end of this arc with the UP there will only be a dozen GLs left in the universe and a GLC book will feature all the earth GLs with a couple of aliens.
    I don’t know how you could pull off a book with as many human GLs as there are now and not have some reduced to wallpaper.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I don’t know how you could pull off a book with as many human GLs as there are now and not have some reduced to wallpaper.
    And then you get into which Earth GL's to prioritize focus on.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And then you get into which Earth GL's to prioritize focus on.
    Simple. Whoever the favorites of the writer and/or editor are, and/or whoever they find most interesting. That's how changes from one creative team to the next ALWAYS work. I've been reading comics since literally right before The Great Darkness Saga started in The Legion of Super-Heroes, and that's how it's ALWAYS worked. Whether we the fans like it or not. The ONLY say we have in the matter is whether we support it or not with our wallets.

I'm not even a huge Green Lantern fan (some characters interest me more than others), but I fully envision a day -- tomorrow, next week, 20 years from now -- when whoever is charge of GL decides that the cast is too bloated and the only way to truly get things under control is to perform a ruthless, bloody, and permanently fatal purge of the ranks. And a bunch of people's personal favorites are going to be killed off.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

So Emerald Twilight again.

Never really liked that idea since the whole organization aspect of the GLC is one of its most iconic traits. If you just have one Lantern existing they just become a generic hero then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

Never really liked that idea since the whole organization aspect of the GLC is one of its most iconic traits. If you just have one Lantern existing they just become a generic hero then.
    Never said "Emerald Twilight" or "only one Lantern." One of the most often repeated complaints I've seen about the GLC is that "there are too many human Green Lanterns" and how creators new to the franchise often seem hellbent on making matters worse by adding their own new creations to the mix. There have been efforts to spread the human GLS to other Corps in the Emerald Spectrum, or give them missions that sent theme offscreen, and so on, and they usually get complaints from fans of those of characters who don't want them offscreen or "diminished" by sending them to a different Corps. You can't please everybody, true, but DC can't even seem to please as many people as possible.

We've seen creators and editors pare down franchises or families that they believe have become too large, too bloated, or have accumulated too many side characters that got set aside in limbo because succeeding creators didn't want to use previous creators' creations but instead introduce their own. Only for the next batch of creators to do the same to them. Hell, just look at Infinite Crisis. In one event mini alone, we saw Geoff Johns try to send all the Amazons not named Diana to another dimension (with the intent that they'd never return); stuff Atlantis full of about 20 years of accumulated side and supporting characters for Aquaman (including his son Koryak) so that the Spectre could destroy Atlantis and kill as many of them off as possible; and start an era of killing off as many past members of the Titans as possible. To say nothing of all the times the Doom Patrol got a new book or roster, and started by slaughtering as many of the previous roster as possible who weren't OG members. And these are just DC examples.

What I'm saying is that someday, I truly expect whoever will be in charge of the Green Lantern franchise to take a hard look at all the human GLs, make an executive decision about which 2 to 4 maximum GLs are the most necessary or important or have the most story-telling potential, and show that they mean business no matter what by getting rid of the rest, and to hell with the fandom's complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Simple. Whoever the favorites of the writer and/or editor are, and/or whoever they find most interesting. That's how changes from one creative team to the next ALWAYS work. I've been reading comics since literally right before The Great Darkness Saga started in The Legion of Super-Heroes, and that's how it's ALWAYS worked. Whether we the fans like it or not. The ONLY say we have in the matter is whether we support it or not with our wallets.

I'm not even a huge Green Lantern fan (some characters interest me more than others), but I fully envision a day -- tomorrow, next week, 20 years from now -- when whoever is charge of GL decides that the cast is too bloated and the only way to truly get things under control is to perform a ruthless, bloody, and permanently fatal purge of the ranks. And a bunch of people's personal favorites are going to be killed off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

The solution is actually much simpler than a wholly unnecessary mass culling that we know will not stick AND will only alienate entire sections of the fanbase (because every character is someone's favorite character): just ship some of the human lanterns to other Corps/cosmic institutions and/or different roles in the GLC. then start bringing more alien Lanterns to the forefront of the of the brand.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I'd just like to see a GLC book. We haven't had one in years.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd just like to see a GLC book. We haven't had one in years.
    I hope that's what Ram V is working on!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Keep believing that.

How many characters that sold got tossed aside?
    How many had well received and decent selling books got tossed aside?

You know Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, Wally West, Duke, Steel, Kyle, Jessica, Simon, John and so many others that got railroaded or erased because of higher up favorites.

Funny we can find a DC Power or Pride books to get stories for some folks yet the rest of the year-it's like they don't exist.

The issue here is there is room for all these folks. We saw that with a GL, GLC and even GLC quarterly books. We saw it with GL, Red Lantern, Lafreeze, Sinestro, Blue Lantern, White Lantern and other books.

How fanboy toxic behavior in the office acted like this franchise was Highlander. While Spiderman and Radiant Black at Image somehow managed to expand and not have this issue.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Really I agree yeah a GLC umbrella title works best to handle the large cast of characters.

You have the specific Green Lantern ongoing to focus on the singular Lantern then you have GLC which keeps the status of how the rest of the guys are doing plus showing off more of the alien lanterns.

Its just DC is really hand-wringy about the Lantern ongoings.

https://x.com/phillipkjohnson/status...487sLx_4UoiJsQ

Olgrum showing up! Hope you guys have read your Warworld Saga
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

"A Green Lantern can do anything" - but no Green Lantern is really prepared watching a loved one lose their mind to alzheimers.

I guess it's good that John was able to make a living construct of his sister to keep his mom occupied but how much longer can he keep this up? It feels like he's just delaying even more heartbreak than he's already grappling with, poor guy.

Oh, look at all the cannon fodder GL's! Even their designs make them look like mooks.

Naked Radiant Queen!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    I hope that's what Ram V is working on!
    Ram V on a GL book would be delightful!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    https://x.com/phillipkjohnson/status...487sLx_4UoiJsQ

Olgrum showing up! Hope you guys have read your Warworld Saga
    Hoo boy, can’t wait!
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I don't want Ram V or some other new creative team. I'm disappointed about this, because even if we're lucky enough that John may be getting another book, it's a new creative team. And I don't want that. I want PKJ to stay on the book. When you have one of the best John Stewart writers on the book, they leave. That hurts. At least with Geoff Johns, he had over a decade writing Hal. But with John Stewart, you have an ideal John Stewart writer and he leaves merely after a year. And then the next writer comes in and disregards all of that work like they usually do.

I mean, I already knew that it's not an ongoing, but I'm enjoying this series and one of the best John Stewart stories I've ever read. And confirmation about losing this creative talent really hurts, because I'm enjoying this series.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I don't want Ram V or some other new creative team. I'm disappointed about this, because even if we're lucky enough that John may be getting another book, it's a new creative team. And I don't want that. I want PKJ to stay on the book. When you have one of the best John Stewart writers on the book, they leave. That hurts. At least with Geoff Johns, he had over a decade writing Hal. But with John Stewart, you have an ideal John Stewart writer and he leaves merely after a year. And then the next writer comes in and disregards all of that work like they usually do.

I mean, I already knew that it's not an ongoing, but I'm enjoying this series and one of the best John Stewart stories I've ever read. And confirmation about losing this creative talent really hurts, because I'm enjoying this series.
    I feel you and I agree with you. PKJ is prob my current fave writer out there (finding out he was off Action was brutal) and I love what he’s done with John so far, wish it was an ongoing.

To me, the prospect of someone taking on a GLC book is great to ponder. In a theoretical perfect world sort of thing where there’s more than one ongoing.
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 01-16-2024 at 02:50 PM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog