Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Damn they just outright spoiled the big reveal in that solicit.
    Good thing I don't read the solicits!

This is probably one of the best if not the greatest John Stewart runs I've ever read. So that's why it's disappointing and a big let down that PKJ is leaving this series. I just think over one year of PKJ's work isn't enough for the character. Even if there's an upcoming John Stewart run with a different writer, who's going to match PKJ's creative talent on John Stewart?

If I was the head of DC, I would do ANYTHING to keep this guy on.

Damn they just outright spoiled the big reveal in that solicit.
    I think it's based on the construct as we've seen in the current issue. I'm curious on how John's construct evolve. Also it's great that John's past tragedies are being resolved from both Thorne and PKJ.

Also based on the solicit, it makes me wonder if the new planet is Xanshi.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    This is probably one of the best if not the greatest John Stewart runs I've ever read. So that's why it's disappointing and a big let down that PKJ is leaving this series. I just think over one year of PKJ's work isn't enough for the character. Even if there's an upcoming John Stewart run with a different writer, who's going to match PKJ's creative talent on John Stewart?

I felt the same way when they pulled him off Action Comics. As a writer seemingly rising in the ranks, there’s only one place DC could be sending him if they want to cement him as a “big” writer: Gotham. Probably going to put him on Tec with Ram V leaving the book soon.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'm sure that PKJ will figure out how to include Steel, John and super twins in Batman's book

I think it's based on the construct as we've seen in the current issue. I'm curious on how John's construct evolve. Also it's great that John's past tragedies are being resolved from both Thorne and PKJ.

Also based on the solicit, it makes me wonder if the new planet is Xanshi.
    I feel like sentient super-powered constructs never end well.

I felt the same way when they pulled him off Action Comics. As a writer seemingly rising in the ranks, there’s only one place DC could be sending him if they want to cement him as a “big” writer: Gotham. Probably going to put him on Tec with Ram V leaving the book soon.
    Oh yeah, that's right. Other writers who've been getting quite popular has been put on Batman books.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'm sure that PKJ will figure out how to include Steel, John and super twins in Batman's book
    I wouldn't mind John making some kind of guest appearance in a Batman story. That would be interesting. I still much prefer PKJ to keep writing John Stewart stories, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like sentient super-powered constructs never end well.
    I rarely ever seen GLs make constructs looking so realistic like that. The only time I eve recalled was when Kyle done it when he was HOG ION and the Guardians.

I also thought it was interesting that John made a construct of his ex-girlfriend, Merayn Dethalis in this issue. I wonder whether she'll be making some kind of appearance? She's been forgotten for quite some time.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

PKJ is leaving? Dammit. This is, by a wide margin, the best John Stewart run of stories in many, many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I'm really not sure how to feel about that opening page.

But here's John with a machinegun!!!

BANNED

Yeah, it's really unfortunate. He's doing a great job on this book.

Oh gawd no. Don’t say that. PKJ is at the top of his game and it would be a shame to waste this level of creativity on Batman.

Batman is DC’s easiest character. I want to see PKJ write characters that don’t usually get the opportunity to shine. He’s currently giving John his best story in ages. Would love to see him expand the mythos of other non-Batfamily heroes.

But it’s DC, so they’ll probably just stick him with Batman and call it a day.
    Last edited by Robotman; 01-26-2024 at 12:00 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    So Emerald Twilight again.

Never really liked that idea since the whole organization aspect of the GLC is one of its most iconic traits. If you just have one Lantern existing they just become a generic hero then.
    I think part of the concept was that the Green Lantern you were following in the comic was the only human ever deemed worthy of the ring and was unique as a human being in this big cosmic story.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting Hal should be the only one or that John and some of the others aren't good additions to the mythos. But the idea that Earth, for some reason, has all these members kind of dilutes the concept after a while. In all of Sector 2814, it's a bunch of Americans that all get it somehow. And then you have them all in competition for who gets the main book or on the JLA or in any adaptation and it robs it of any real consistency like Batman or Superman have.

The GLC is meant to be a big cosmic force, yes. But they used to be much more autonomous and you'd only really all see them together for a big crisis. Now they've been reduced to this very Earthlike police/military structure and I think that takes away from the mystery and grandeur of it somewhat. It takes something unknowable and alien and makes it mundane.

Having 7 or so human Lanterns competing for space isn't really inherent to the concept. It's a dilution of the concept. The more humans you add, the less special it is. I loved how Hal, John and Guy all embodied "honest and fearless" in very different ways and they all had a pretty distinct niche. But now it just feels like a big mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    PKJ is leaving? Dammit. This is, by a wide margin, the best John Stewart run of stories in many, many years.
    I definitely agree with you. I've been checking this thread daily hoping that something changed to where this series can continue with a nice long run for PKJ. There are plenty of comics that I currently enjoy but this is the only one that is actually speaking to me in a profound way.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel