Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I adore Merayn. And have been waiting and waiting for her to show up in any John content
    I wonder if PKJ is going to a new JLA title?
    I really liked Merayn with John and their breakup felt so abrupt. I always wanted them to reunite. On the other hand, there's something more realistic about two people breaking up and never seeing each other again.

Just watched John’s boss battle scene from the Kill the Justice League game. Such absolute crap.

I looked at the comments section because I guess I wanted to torture myself more. One person said “why is John acting that way? He’s supposed to be a hardened no-nonsense military vet.” The blessing/curse of JLU. John gets more exposure than ever but people now think his personality should just be the stoic good soldier.

John really needs way more DC media appearances to help flesh out the character in the minds of casual fans. Something besides just being a brainwashed evil version who gets embarrassed by the Suicide Squad. When Gunn gets the GL project off the ground I hope John gets a lot of attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    That really adds to the speculation that the only reason why the 2 are rivals in this game is because Rocksteady realized they are both black.

This whole thing is so fucking stupid and a masterclass in trying to be edgy and failing so hard you break your teeth falling on the pavement.
    It sure seems to be the case.
    Last edited by Robotman; 02-04-2024 at 12:03 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But he still did some cool stuff in the Johns run and I think they still acknowledged his architect background.
    You keep saying John did cool stuff in Geoff Johns run, but never show anything and no one ever talks about what he did. Are you trying to convince people that Stewart played important roles in that run, or are you looking for the bare minimum to excuse Geoff Johns use of Stewart?

BANNED

I only really liked military John in JLU, but he felt like such a different character than comic book John that it's been frustrating to watch the animated take become the primary version in the comics. I know some people will probably disagree, but I have a hard time reconciling the thoughtful yet fiery and outspoken activist John Stewart that I loved with this straight-laced, military tough guy. It's hard for me to picture O'Neil's John ever enlisting and being a marine sniper. It's seems counterintuitive to a character that was so anti-authoritarian at his core.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-09-2024 at 03:12 PM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Where is this straight-laced military John in the DCAU coming from? Most of his expressions were due to leaving a corps of his peers he was familiar with to working with a bunch of people who've never been on a team.

The John in the books went from being a rookie, to recovering from messing up a mission pretty badly, to a Darkstar and back to a seasoned GL.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    It's hard for me to picture O'Neil's John ever enlisting and being a marine sniper. It's seems counterintuitive to a character that was so anti-authoritarian at his core.
    My interpretation of John - especially as set up by his origin - was that he's not some anti-authoritarian,(or "angry black man" - the stereotype of the time) but that he's a good man standing up against injustice. Hal's initial impression was of John as anti-authoritarian and therefore not a good fit for the Corps,(ironically, I think Hal's more of an anti-authoritarian at this point) but that's because Hal was blind to the injustices of the system and that any good person of conscience would do the same under those circumstances (of course, the Guardians weren't painted as diabolical mofos then - they were actually teaching Hal a lesson about jumping to conclusions by selecting John as worthy) But that's just how I saw him. Ymmv, and all that...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-05-2024 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    You keep saying John did cool stuff in Geoff Johns run, but never show anything and no one ever talks about what he did. Are you trying to convince people that Stewart played important roles in that run, or are you looking for the bare minimum to excuse Geoff Johns use of Stewart?
    Him standing up to Batman, his undercover role in one of Johns' arcs, I think he got a few moments in the Sinestro Corps. War.

Incredible Member

Him standing up to Batman, his undercover role in one of Johns' arcs, I think he got a few moments in the Sinestro Corps. War.
    His undercover role was lackluster, as the only time we see him do anything was kill a random alien. We dont see him take down hunger dog or much of what he did undercover. Nothing really defining for John's character happens in Sinestro Corps War, except the pretty cheesy line where Johns has him say "All I have to do is stay black". All the instances you described weren't even included in John's 50 Celebration book, which was kind of a depressing celebration by the way. I think it's fine to say John had no impressive moments under Geoff Johns writing.
    Last edited by Shockingjustice; 02-05-2024 at 10:49 AM.

...I think it's fine to say John had no impressive moments under Geoff Johns writing.
    I think it's fine to say that, just as it's fine that someone enjoyed the moments he got.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think it's fine to say that, just as it's fine that someone enjoyed the moments he got.
    And I would genuinely like to know what that person enjoyed about those moments and how it felt for John as a character. Maybe it will help me see a different point of view since it's only ever brought up as a counterpoint when some brings up their disappointment in Geoff Johns' John Stewart.

Imo I think the standing up to Batman scene was based off of setting up a hierarchal establishment for Hal Jordan. And it's also considered a black best friend moment. If the roles were reversed where Hal Jordan stood up to Batman to prop up John Stewart, it would be considered meaningless in the point what Geoff Johns was trying make. The story was all about taking Hal Jordan back to his old roots. Same with Barry Allen getting props as the Flash in Rebirth. I doubt any Hal Jordan fan would prefer if that scene was reversed (and I wouldn't blame them). And plus it wouldn't make any sense, considering it just takes away from building up Hal Jordan.

But if you enjoyed those moments, then it's perfectly fine Nothing wrong with that.

His undercover role was lackluster, as the only time we see him do anything was kill a random alien. We dont see him take down hunger dog or much of what he did undercover. Nothing really defining for John's character happens in Sinestro Corps War, except the pretty cheesy line where Johns has him say "All I have to do is stay black". All the instances you described weren't even included in John's 50 Celebration book, which was kind of a depressing celebration by the way. I think it's fine to say John had no impressive moments under Geoff Johns writing.
    That's pretty much how I see it as well, too. If anything, most of John's moments was feats in Geoff Johns' run, but that's it.

I've seen some people who liked John Stewart because of the cartoons and preferred him as the GL, but they started preferring other GL characters after reading Geoff Johns' run, so they end up preferring other characters.

John Stewart's best moments is the ones after the Geoff Johns' era. I still can't get over how good of a writer PKJ is when he writes John.

He saved Hal in the undercover role and he also took out some Sinestro Corps. members.

But John was not the main focus of Johns' GL run (just like ultimately Guy was the main focus of Tomasi's GLC run. It didn't become about John until the Van Jensen run).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Imo I think the standing up to Batman scene was based off of setting up a hierarchal establishment for Hal Jordan. And it's also considered a black best friend moment. If the roles were reversed where Hal Jordan stood up to Batman to prop up John Stewart, it would be considered meaningless in the point what Geoff Johns was trying make. The story was all about taking Hal Jordan back to his old roots. Same with Barry Allen getting props as the Flash in Rebirth. I doubt any Hal Jordan fan would prefer if that scene was reversed (and I wouldn't blame them). And plus it wouldn't make any sense, considering it just takes away from building up Hal Jordan.

But if you enjoyed those moments, then it's perfectly fine Nothing wrong with that.
    I mean, it was in support of Hal, but anyone standing up to Batman is a big deal in my opinion.

Incredible Member

He saved Hal in the undercover role and he also took out some Sinestro Corps. members.

But John was not the main focus of Johns' GL run (just like ultimately Guy was the main focus of Tomasi's GLC run. It didn't become about John until the Van Jensen run).

I mean, it was in support of Hal, but anyone standing up to Batman is a big deal in my opinion.
    Are those moments really your favorite moments as a John Stewart fan?
    Last edited by Shockingjustice; 02-05-2024 at 12:58 PM.

When it comes to DC highest profile character like Batman, I can understand, but at the same time it's not all that surprising I guess, considering the core concept of GL ring bearers are being fearless and all

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Worse, that specifically is written by Deadshot which means he’s basically calling John an Uncle Tom. Yeah Deadshot is a dick and is mad that Stewart sent him to jail but the game doesn’t exactly treat Stewart all that well.
    What bothers me most here is when a company puts a black man against another. I think Deadshot essentially calling another African American character an Uncle Tom is unacceptable. Shameful for Rocksteady Studios allowing this. I don't tolerate ANY form of racism from ANY company. What makes matters worse is that we all learned about this nonsense on Black History month. That's a disgrace.