Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I liked Sentry but Marvel kept messing him up with the tired and overused Void debacle. Then they went and ruined Scout.

They should have gotten rid of the stupid Void, lessened Bob's powers and given Scout his powers back also to a lesser degree. Scout would have made for a great member of The New Warriors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    It's the overcomplications and convolutions that wear them down. Sentry is no different. He works best when boiled down to his most basic premise.
    The point is the core of the Sentry is the dichotomy of being the most brilliant and the most darker at the same time. Bipolarity expresed in superhero form.

(and curiously in Action Comcs there is an story by Jason Aaron than reminds in some way the Sentry core, whcih made think how would had managed Aaron the character in a continued series).
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 03-12-2024 at 12:34 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I'm 100% done with Marvel. And heck probably comics in general...

Extraordinary Member

Another superhero that's superman like and when he goes to back to being a normal human that still has a disability and need a crutch is freddy freeman,captain marvel jr,now called shazam, jr.

Divine Empowerment: Freddy possesses the power of Shazam when Billy bestows it on him, Billy can take away these powers whenever he wants.

Other Characteristics
    Osteonecrosis: Freddy suffers from bone death due to his body's poor blood supply.
    Restricted Mobility: In his normal human form, Freddy has limited mobility due to his lame leg.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Frederick..._(Prime_Earth)
    Last edited by mace11; 03-20-2024 at 10:21 AM.

download (3).jpeg

Oh wait, that's way too much money for a title of this quality.

download (4).jpeg

Yeah, that seems about right.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Just thinking back, I think my 'favorite' part was 'I can bring you all back from the dead 'coz I totally did it earlier!'.

"Oh, 'the magic is fading'. I guess we're all gonna die now after all. Later, Mallory! Enjoy being a superhero!'

Astonishing Member

Just thinking back, I think my 'favorite' part was 'I can bring you all back from the dead 'coz I totally did it earlier!'.

"Oh, 'the magic is fading'. I guess we're all gonna die now after all. Later, Mallory! Enjoy being a superhero!'
    King in Black is annoyingly at the center of Bob's current status quo with Loo bringing up the Valkyrie tie-in as well, so I thought you could just replace Knull with Ryan for the "he really did a number on us" scene. They might not have gone to Valhalla but they decided Mallory was good enough to carry the torch.

I was hoping they could at least have gone back to their civilian lives but many innocent casualties in comics don't get that.

I know its an attempt to prove that there was some kind of limit on Bob's resurrection as a means to address why he's still dead.

It still makes absolutely zero sense and is very dumb.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I know its an attempt to prove that there was some kind of limit on Bob's resurrection as a means to address why he's still dead.

It still makes absolutely zero sense and is very dumb.
    They're going to leave Bob dead for a while...or at least disembodied...just like they did with Wendell Vaughn. They have to see whether the new concept will take or not.

That said, I stand by my prediction that Bob will return. Give it 2 years tops. Someone out there is probably already penning the story that reintroduces him to the Marvel Universe as THE Sentry.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    They're going to leave Bob dead for a while...or at least disembodied...just like they did with Wendell Vaughn. They have to see whether the new concept will take or not.

That said, I stand by my prediction that Bob will return. Give it 2 years tops. Someone out there is probably already penning the story that reintroduces him to the Marvel Universe as THE Sentry.
    It'll be a bit.

But Solarus seems already dead in the water unless someone makes her a pet cause and is able to elevate her, imo. I don't forsee that happening but it's not out of the question. But ... no way this sticks long term. Sooner or later, someone is gonna look at how they did Bob dirty in this mini with the way they talked about mental illness and they're gonna wanna do something about it.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 03-23-2024 at 09:21 PM.

Astonishing Member

I don't know if it's better or worse Loo's comic showed Mallory and Ryan could access more than Bob's fight clip memories but she at least tried to understand his relationship with the Void, and Ryan brought up his history with the ACD and the Avengers, which should have included Misty's role in that series since she was given top billing here so I assume he didn't just see the big Avengers fight that happened at the end. But a writer wanting to bring Bob back should have options. I might not even care if it involved Strange again, he kind of looked ashamed or stone-faced here and let his wife take over.

Unfortunately, his replacement being a disabled woman of color means it will stick a bit longer. Marvel understandably won't want to be seen bowing to the racist aspects of the backlash, and surely was hoping to use the presumed out-rage generation to bring attention to the character. All I can say is that I hope future Sentry comics are written by someone with a better grasp on how to talk about mental health than Jason Loo evidentially had.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 03-23-2024 at 09:49 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Mallory Gibbs (Earth-616)
    Solaris

Powers
    Sentry Energy Enhancement: Mallory originally possessed a portion of the Sentry's powers due to beeing imbued with a portion of his energy but after draining Ryan Sentry of his powers she now possesses the full power of the Sentry.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Mallo...bs_(Earth-616)

Posted here as well.
    THREAD: MARVEL CHARACTERS OF MIXED RACE
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...xed-Race/page4

Ryan Topper (Earth-616)
    Ryan Sentry

Powers
    Former Powers
    Sentry Energy Enhancement: Ryan originally possessed a portion of the Sentry's powers due to beeing imbued with a portion of his energy and became even more powerful by killing and absorbing the powers of other Sentry-enhanced individuals before being stripped of his powers by Solarus.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Ryan_Topper_(Earth-616)

Amazing Member

At this point I wish he was just left for dead and never came back after KiB, Everything after that minus the strange issue where he was revenant prime has sucked ass

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterDebater1 View Post
    At this point I wish he was just left for dead and never came back after KiB, Everything after that minus the strange issue where he was revenant prime has sucked ass
    At this point I would go further. I wish he was one and done after the original series.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Guardian View Post
    At this point I would go further. I wish he was one and done after the original series.
    In fairness, Marvel has a number of characters that started out as a great premise only to collapse into sheer, nonsensical WTF-ery after the introductory series. Some of those characters probably should have been held to a simple "What If?" graphic novel and then properly shelved. It's ok to end on a high note and leave fans wanting more. Watching writers trying to figure out what to do with those characters now is like witnessing a blind person behind the wheel of a Formula 1 race car as they try to navigate the serpentine turn at the Monaco Grand Prix. This won't end well, for driver, auto or viewing audience.