Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Look, I can't either, but that's just 'coz I was born ginger.
    Hollywood can fix that!!
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Well, I guess it's time to welcome Mallory toooo...

The"This is the month you appear on a cover with similar characters!" League.

Mallory is in a wheelchair so her month will be March. She will appear on a cover with similar characters most of which will never be seen again until March.

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Monari View Post
    Lol wait, so Loo didn't even bother to fact-check whether Sentry's powers actually derive from the sun? Where are the editors?
    Probably wasting time on Twitter.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I don't expect that they'll let her go that fast. They'll find a place for her.

Bob will be back eventually, but there's no way they won't commit to the bit for a while.

Jed Mackay:

respectbob.jpg

Marvel:

ACTUALLY....

I really hope Jed get the chance to write Bob down the line. He's right: He deserved better.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 03-09-2024 at 09:54 PM.

Astonishing Member

I fear to ask but, how is the Thunderbolts ongoing, if there's one now, in case that's where they want to use Mallory next and jumpstart Bob's return?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I fear to ask but, how is the Thunderbolts ongoing, if there's one now, in case that's where they want to use Mallory next and jumpstart Bob's return?
    It's just a mini and it's mostly about Bucky and the Red Skull.

With the woman who has the Sentry powers now-- is her disability still active, or has it been "cured" due to the powers in her?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    With the woman who has the Sentry powers now-- is her disability still active, or has it been "cured" due to the powers in her?
    Kind of active. She talks about how bad things can happen if she 'loses control due to a muscle spasm'. It's her narrative/thematic link to Bob.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 03-10-2024 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I don't expect that they'll let her go that fast. They'll find a place for her.
    OR she is going to go the same path of the second Quasar. Remember? No? Not a surprise.

Bob will be back eventually, but there's no way they won't commit to the bit for a while.
    Usually that is what happens. The original returns. We will see.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    OR she is going to go the same path of the second Quasar. Remember? No? Not a surprise.

Usually that is what happens. The original returns. We will see.
    Unlike Quasar, Sentry appearing in a Marvel movie makes it more likely they won't just let her fall into disuse. Say what you will about the current comics but they at least try to have some connective tissue between them, the last series referenced Man of Two Worlds, King in Black, and the Strange storyline leading to this one. So it's possible Bob might return acknowledging somebody else was using his powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Yeah, Quasar is definitely something I was thinking about in relation to this. We'll see if where she turns up next has any kind of a sales bump, tbh, but given the sales of this mini, and this character being more of a straight forward pure hero, I don't think she'll be able to deliver the modest bumps Sentry did whenever he turned up.

The complete collapse of interest in this mini is pretty telling of the damage Marvel has done to the Sentry as a property in the last five years or so.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 03-10-2024 at 08:10 PM.

Fantastic Member

Marvel did something I didn't think was possible. They took a character, I did not like AT ALL(sorry Sentry fans) and with this story, they made me like him even less than I did before.

Sure, buddy.

I liked Sentry but Marvel kept messing him up with the tired and overused Void debacle. Then they went and ruined Scout.

They should have gotten rid of the stupid Void, lessened Bob's powers and given Scout his powers back also to a lesser degree. Scout would have made for a great member of The New Warriors.
    Last edited by danielsan52; 03-11-2024 at 04:56 AM.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I liked Sentry but Marvel kept messing him up with the tired and overused Void debacle. Then they went and ruined Scout.
    They should have gotten rid of the stupid Void, lessened Bob's powers and given Scout his powers back also to a lesser degree. Scout would have made for a great member of The New Warriors.
    I don't think the Sentrys issues are his absurd power level or the Void. If anything those add to the character.

The main problem the Sentry has had for well over 10 years now is that there is no clear vision for the character. Writers seem to like the character and want to include him but someone every writer has a new idea that is used for a couple of issues and then thrown out of the window. And the next time the Sentry appears he is doing something completely else than he did the last time we saw him. And every single time in between Sentry is stuck in character limbo for a year or two. How could ANYONE possibly become a new Sentry fan like that? Most Sentry fans are fans due to the first three Sentry volumes as well as some of the Sentry-focused stuff afterward – BEFORE the events of King in Black, when it started going downhill.

In the last 11 years, Sentry has been used by around 10 different writers:

- Rick Remender
    - Donny Cates
    - Jeff Lemire
    - whoever wrote Black Panther and the Agends of Wacanada
    - 3 or so different writers who all wrote the Annihilation Scourge event
    - whoever wrote Return of the Valkyries
    - whoever wrote Thunderbolts
    - whoever wrote the previous Strange book with Clea Strange
    - (I'm not even going to count the garbage Jason Loo "created")

Sentry is one of the most misused characters in comic book history with some of the biggest missed-out-on potentials. That's why at the beginning of this very thread my Sentry reading recommendation order is very specific. That's the stuff that turns people into Sentry fans. Everything else is a mixed bag out of the tasty icing on the cake and garbage you deal with because there is nothing else with the Sentry in it.

It's the overcomplications and convolutions that wear them down. Sentry is no different. He works best when boiled down to his most basic premise.