Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

I guess than Loo thought o fthis as his personal take on "Reing of the Sentries". As as that other guy of the S is solar based, well, then....

Anyway, if this series at least had any positive effect is the fact than many persons than previously disliked Sentry, now are willing to have him, Bob, back.

Maybe this whole series is a new Coke strategy. It happens from time to time.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 03-06-2024 at 10:18 AM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Spectacular Member

Lol wait, so Loo didn't even bother to fact-check whether Sentry's powers actually derive from the sun? Where are the editors? This is hilariously sad.

Also let me guess, she doesn't want to use the "Sentry" name because it's tainted or something right? There isn't an eye roll big enough.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I suspect Marvel will commit to the bit for at least a while, probably with a 'Solarus' series when Thunderbolts comes out.
    Why do I feel like I've heard that name before? Maybe I'm thinking Solara? Or Solaris? Not sure, but it rings familiar.

I don't get why she was back in the chair after not needing it since the first chapter. I hope they are going Jane foster route of her refusing to fix herself because reasons. If you want a handicap character don't give them powers that can undo their problems, just look at Silhouette in New warriors. I have a strong doubt that writers are going to want to use someone with all of Sentry's powers and none of the things that held him back from solving all the problems

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Why do I feel like I've heard that name before? Maybe I'm thinking Solara? Or Solaris? Not sure, but it rings familiar.
    Solaris: Superman enemy created by Grant Morrison. It is an artificial intelligence in the form of a miniature star or sun. Its name is based on a science fiction book of Stanislaw Lem. There are two motion movies.
    Main stories: DC One Million; Superman All Star.

Superman. Enemy.
    Yeah.
    We can guess what character had in mind the writer in the whole story.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Amazing Member

the last issue sucked so badly, marvel writers really lost their touch here

tl;dr for those who dont want to read, Mallary becomes the sole inheritor of the powers. She can briefly summon those who had died. They defeat Ryan. He gets arrested and so does Mallary. She begins training with Misty. She doesn’t want to follow Sentry’s path and becomes Solarus

Astonishing Member

Maybe Clara can become the next Scout. Double the diversity!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mung View Post
    I don't get why she was back in the chair after not needing it since the first chapter. I hope they are going Jane foster route of her refusing to fix herself because reasons. If you want a handicap character don't give them powers that can undo their problems, just look at Silhouette in New warriors. I have a strong doubt that writers are going to want to use someone with all of Sentry's powers and none of the things that held him back from solving all the problems
    They put a power inhibitor in her after she let them arrest her, even if it was implied it was a courtesy from her because she muscled it off when transforming to go to her Danger Room training session. Her cerebral palsy spasms and guilt about her collateral damage are her limiters, but if Marvel really intends to keep her around, I assume she's going to return after passing her powers learning curve as a powerhouse in an ensemble comic, or if they're really willing to take risks, a solo mini.

If this comic was supposed to sell people on the idea of other people being the Sentry other than Bob...I think it failed.

Though I did find it kind of funny how the girl went "I accidentally destroyed some peoples' houses so I'm turning myself in and taking responsibility for my actions" when most Superheroes would never care or be held accountable for that. But it's probably why she basically got the kid gloves and a slap on the wrist (and I'm not talking about the power dampener cuff on her wrist).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If this comic was supposed to sell people on the idea of other people being the Sentry other than Bob...I think it failed.

Though I did find it kind of funny how the girl went "I accidentally destroyed some peoples' houses so I'm turning myself in and taking responsibility for my actions" when most Superheroes would never care or be held accountable for that. But it's probably why she basically got the kid gloves and a slap on the wrist (and I'm not talking about the power dampener cuff on her wrist).
    I think they did it because most superheroes can't destroy Asgard in Thor's face and other stuff, Ryan was headed to that kind of direction, and Mallory is supposed to be the opposite. As I expected the last issue fight was a Man of Steel movie remake but Mallory helped to minimize the damage including tapping into the souls trapped within Ryan. I think she earned the sympathy.

But yes this comic smeared Bob all around, Misty said her experience with Bob was babysitting him, I don't think Doctor Strange was that mean to him in any of his comics with him. Having been a doctor could've had to do with it, even if he was not a shrink one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I think they did it because most superheroes can't destroy Asgard in Thor's face and other stuff, Ryan was headed to that kind of direction, and Mallory is supposed to be the opposite. As I expected the last issue fight was a Man of Steel movie remake but Mallory helped to minimize the damage including tapping into the souls trapped within Ryan. I think she earned the sympathy.

But yes this comic smeared Bob all around, Misty said her experience with Bob was babysitting him, I don't think Doctor Strange was that mean to him in any of his comics with him. Having been a doctor could've had to do with it, even if he was not a shrink one.
    Like I said, this comic kind of reinforced the original message of the Sentry being relevant: people don't get mental health issues, or how crippling it is, and we're frequently treated with an incredible lack of understanding.

I tHiNk YoU'vE aCtUaLlY gOt mOrE iN cOmMoN wItH mE tHaN wItH bOb ReYnOlDs. I kNoW wHaT iT's LiKe To Do ThIs JoB wItH a DiSaBiLiTy.

Yeah. I was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Yeah. I was right.
    I KNOW, BROTHER! You've pointed it out multiple times.

The writer of this book did a massive disservice to the Sentry and topics of mental health issues in general. And in my eyes the camels back broke a second time in the panel where Misty tells Mallory that she has more in common with her than Bob because she knows how it is to do the hero job with a disability.

worst-writing.jpg
    Backup: https://i.imgur.com/hZy0SZU.jpeg

That's bad writing to a cosmic degree:

1. The connection between characters and people is being reduced to a physical level.
    2. Mistys disability is having a metal arm with which she can crush the skulls of her enemies. Can I have that disability as well, please?
    3. The book once again takes a dump on Robert Reynolds and the fact that mental health issues are a massive disability as well. One he has been dealing with since his inception in 2000. And that one idiotic speech bubble takes absolutely everything away from the Sentry as a person and a hero.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Solaris: Superman enemy created by Grant Morrison. It is an artificial intelligence in the form of a miniature star or sun. Its name is based on a science fiction book of Stanislaw Lem. There are two motion movies.
    Main stories: DC One Million; Superman All Star.

Superman. Enemy.
    Yeah.
    We can guess what character had in mind the writer in the whole story.
    Yep, that was it...the book by Stanislaw that I read decades ago. Never get old, folks. The memory definitely fades.