Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ENTRYS View Post
    Yes, I know. That's where the Inhumans live. So in the Blue Area of the Moon there is a city with a thriving society. (I don't think Jason Loo knows that though.)

It didn't look like Mallory was anywhere close to a thriving society. Nor would I expect her to since she clearly wanted some alone-time.
    Sentry once also went to the Moon to meditate alone. The Inhumans approached and attacked him with no words or sounds heard, because the majority of the Moon doesn't have any atmosphere. (I don't think Jason Loo knows that either.)

Don't try making excuses for a badly written and edited book.

While its not good to excuse plot holes and contrivances, I think this particular instance can just be explained off as her somehow arriving in the outskirts of the Blue Area of the Moon tbh

Astonishing Member

Don't people talk to each other in space in comics, like, all the time?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Yes, I know. That's where the Inhumans live. So in the Blue Area of the Moon there is a city with a thriving society. (I don't think Jason Loo knows that though.)

It didn't look like Mallory was anywhere close to a thriving society. Nor would I expect her to since she clearly wanted some alone-time.
    Sentry once also went to the Moon to meditate alone. The Inhumans approached and attacked him with no words or sounds heard, because the majority of the Moon doesn't have any atmosphere. (I don't think Jason Loo knows that either.)

Don't try making excuses for a badly written and edited book.
    Wait a sec...did they move the Inhumans back to the moon? I've missed so much. I remember Byrne moving the Inhumans to the moon, but I thought someone had come along later to move the Inhumans back to Earth, which is when their tiff with mutants and whatnot occurred. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else? My understanding as of now is that only the Watcher resides in/near the Blue Area of the Moon. But someone please let me know if that's not the case. Hard to keep up.

• And the worst offender: Mallory and Ryan talk on the Moon because apparently, there is atmosphere on the Moon in the Marvel universe.

Best guess and my official No-Prize Award answer would be that the Sentry has psionic powers and the Sentrites do, too, but they don't realize it and were all actually "speaking" psionically but moving their lips purely as an involuntary conditioned response. Let's just call it "Sentry-onics" for now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Best guess and my official No-Prize Award answer would be that the Sentry has psionic powers and the Sentrites do, too, but they don't realize it and were all actually "speaking" psionically but moving their lips purely as an involuntary conditioned response. Let's just call it "Sentry-onics" for now.
    Even Mark Waid's Plutonian, another massively powerful and threatening "Superman expy" fled to the Moon to not just avoid stress, like Mallory did, but as I recall to not be able to hear people calling for help, while Mallory was able to hear people from the Moon (the comic devoted a panel of her ear for that) before deciding to fly back to Earth in response. And Mallory is so far supposed to only carry part of Sentry's powers.

Basically I think picking at this nit should be bottom rung priorities, compared to how Timeless looks like a better written Sentry-related comic than the current series. Maybe Marvel should hire that writer to write a follow-up to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Don't people talk to each other in space in comics, like, all the time?
    Yes, and there's rarely any explanation as to how that's possible. Comics. Gotta love 'em.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Invincible Member

The last Sentry comic I read was the Jeff Lemire mini. It didn't blow me away but I thought it was fine. The premise to this new one reminds me of an Image Comics called Dynamo 5 where a Superman analogue dies and his many random adult children each have one of his powers?

What I wouldn't mind seeing in a new Sentry comic is something along the lines of Jim Starlin's 70's Warlock. Where it was dark and cosmic and sometimes offbeat, but really dealing with the philosophical and fractured psychology of the character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The last Sentry comic I read was the Jeff Lemire mini. It didn't blow me away but I thought it was fine. The premise to this new one reminds me of an Image Comics called Dynamo 5 where a Superman analogue dies and his many random adult children each have one of his powers?

What I wouldn't mind seeing in a new Sentry comic is something along the lines of Jim Starlin's 70's Warlock. Where it was dark and cosmic and sometimes offbeat, but really dealing with the philosophical and fractured psychology of the character.
    Sentry was an odd duck in Marvel in that he was rarely used in far space or cosmic stories other than hearsay, until Annihilation Scourge, where Silver Surfer immediately enough realized who he was and the threat the Void represented.

Amazing Member

GDr_OkPXkAAR5EI.jpg

Translation: Austin Abrams is the New Sentry

Thoughts? @ENTRYS

Quote Originally Posted by MasterDebater1 View Post
    GDr_OkPXkAAR5EI.jpg

Thoughts? @ENTRYS
    It's bad. It's as if Marvel is trying their hardest to cast someone who DOESN'T look like the Sentry. I'm not familiar with Austin Abrams acting chops but 1.73m (5'6 feet) is... I don't want a Sentryboy who is eye-to-eye with Black Widow and hurts his neck when looking up to the Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan) who is as tall as the Sentry in comics.

I'll probably talk about the Sentry casting in a video, where I don't hold back. Here right now I deleted a lengthy response for reasons.

It's bad. It's as if Marvel is trying their hardest to cast someone who DOESN'T look like the Sentry. I'm not familiar with Austin Abrams acting chops but 1.73m (5'6 feet) is... I don't want a Sentryboy who is eye-to-eye with Black Widow and hurts his neck when looking up to the Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan) who is as tall as the Sentry in comics.

I'll probably talk about the Sentry casting in a video, where I don't hold back. Here right now I deleted a lengthy response for reasons.
    They'll use the art of movie magic and camera placement to make Abrams appear taller, I'm sure. That said, that can only do so much.

I've been watching Paramount's Lawmen: Bass Reeves starring David Oyelowo and I found his slight build coupled with his diminutive height (he's only 5ft 8) to be unconvincing to the character. The real Bass Reeves was 6' 3" or thereabouts and an imposing figure. It's one of the reasons, legend has it, that he rarely had to discharge his weapon to apprehend a criminal. Oyelowo is a solid actor, but during multiple scenes in the series, he just couldn't pull off the visually arresting image of Bass Reeves. Even Audie Murphy struggled with being a short actor. John Wayne or Clint Eastwood would have left no room for Oyelowo or Murphy in the camera frame.

So, yeah, when they put Abrams' Sentry on camera next to Thor (stalwart Chris Hemsworth), try not to laugh too loudly. And I won't even get into the fact that the man looks very much like a teenager to me, even though he's approaching 30. This can't be a serious casting.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterDebater1 View Post
    GDr_OkPXkAAR5EI.jpg

Thoughts? @ENTRYS
    Now to make him as villanous white as can be.(LOL)
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Now that Doctor Strange is about to enter the picture, he should look into giving Bob a proper burial ceremony. They've been pretty disrespectul and negligent about his corpse since King in Black. Bob is supposed to be "at peace" but horror movies have started for less than that crap.

In a prior post I called the writing and editing for this book bad. Now I'd like to provide an example of my main problem with all of it. I don't want it to look like I'm just a butthurt Sentry fan complaining about a new direction I disagree with. I wish it was only that. No, I think this book is bad on a fundamental level. I could get behind a new direction. I could get behind a new tone for something with the name "SENTRY" slapped onto it. But I can't get behind bad writing and editing because it's a bad product no matter which character it's about.

This is a page from the SENTRYPEOPLE #2:

sentrybookbad.jpg
    Archived: https://i.imgur.com/lm4tAr9.jpg

It's the second page of Jessicas and Mistys investigations of the Sentrypeople event. And in this case they're looking for Fahrrad. Fahrrad, as you might know, was killed by Ryan in the last issue. So we, the readers already know what happened, while Jessica and Misty are catching up to our knowledge. And they don't even fully arrive to the conclusion. They're still guessing. That's not a mystery. You could literally skip those two pages and you wouldn't miss out on ANYTHING remotely important or even interesting.

This is how the book should have been written in my personal, not-so-humble opinion:

sentrybookgood.jpg
    Archived: https://i.imgur.com/w92LVWN.jpg

You build the fights and destruction into the investigation. That way Jessica and Misty are always on the same page as the viewers and we're not wasting pages on these two investigating something we've known since the prior issue. That way the aftermath of the conflict has an even bigger impact. And the new task of Jessica and Misty becomes them trying to find the new Sentrypeople who are being hunted down by a rogue Sentryperson and then hide them. Because right now they're just looking for them to stop the accidents. But as we all know these two characters can't do much against someone with even a fraction of Sentrys power.
    And you can still focus on one Sentryperson like for example Mallory to show the direct impact the powers have on these people.

That's just my suggestion to fix this current trash fire. I think it would have still been bad because there would have been a lot of focus on Jessica and Misty. Even more so than right now. I don't think that's a good thing in a book called "The Sentry". But this way you would have avoided 1/4 of the comic being wasted on pointless investigations since there is no mystery: WE already know and that's all that matters.

Why is it so hard for people to write good comics? You come to me and tell me to write a story about where random people get Sentrys power and I already have a million great ideas to make the book interesting and appealing with Sentrys depth and complexity driving the narrative. Yet we get this instead. A book where both first issues start with Jessica Jones and / or Misty Knight bombarding you with their life and work. I don't it.

Amazing Member

In a prior post I called the writing and editing for this book bad. Now I'd like to provide an example of my main problem with all of it. I don't want it to look like I'm just a butthurt Sentry fan complaining about a new direction I disagree with. I wish it was only that. No, I think this book is bad on a fundamental level. I could get behind a new direction. I could get behind a new tone for something with the name "SENTRY" slapped onto it. But I can't get behind bad writing and editing because it's a bad product no matter which character it's about.

This is a page from the SENTRYPEOPLE #2:

sentrybookbad.jpg
    Archived: https://i.imgur.com/lm4tAr9.jpg

It's the second page of Jessicas and Mistys investigations of the Sentrypeople event. And in this case they're looking for Fahrrad. Fahrrad, as you might know, was killed by Ryan in the last issue. So we, the readers already know what happened, while Jessica and Misty are catching up to our knowledge. And they don't even fully arrive to the conclusion. They're still guessing. That's not a mystery. You could literally skip those two pages and you wouldn't miss out on ANYTHING remotely important or even interesting.

This is how the book should have been written in my personal, not-so-humble opinion:

sentrybookgood.jpg
    Archived: https://i.imgur.com/w92LVWN.jpg

You build the fights and destruction into the investigation. That way Jessica and Misty are always on the same page as the viewers and we're not wasting pages on these two investigating something we've known since the prior issue. That way the aftermath of the conflict has an even bigger impact. And the new task of Jessica and Misty becomes them trying to find the new Sentrypeople who are being hunted down by a rogue Sentryperson and then hide them. Because right now they're just looking for them to stop the accidents. But as we all know these two characters can't do much against someone with even a fraction of Sentrys power.
    And you can still focus on one Sentryperson like for example Mallory to show the direct impact the powers have on these people.

That's just my suggestion to fix this current trash fire. I think it would have still been bad because there would have been a lot of focus on Jessica and Misty. Even more so than right now. I don't think that's a good thing in a book called "The Sentry". But this way you would have avoided 1/4 of the comic being wasted on pointless investigations since there is no mystery: WE already know and that's all that matters.

Why is it so hard for people to write good comics? You come to me and tell me to write a story about where random people get Sentrys power and I already have a million great ideas to make the book interesting and appealing with Sentrys depth and complexity driving the narrative. Yet we get this instead. A book where both first issues start with Jessica Jones and / or Misty Knight bombarding you with their life and work. I don't it.

I think we can all agree that Marvel havent actually put any effort into actually editing and double checking this beyond the absolute minimum needed for MCU synergy, so I think its personally moot to be hopeful for this 'Sentry' run beyond Mallory becoming the new Sentress and permanently ending one of the best characters that Marvel fumbled over the past 2 decades.