Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Definitely a setup issue, but solid. I would have liked maybe one kind of OMG moment but alas!

I thought the art was great. I've been a longtime fan of Werneck from way before he booked the X-Men gigs. He has a great love for the characters and is obviously very into things looking beautiful/pretty/pinup-y. So his earlier work kind of reflected that and the more dynamic moments were not as compelling. I think that's where this issue showed his growth. The layouts and choices were much more mature. I understand the criticism that some of the pencils looked a little rushed, but overall the work looks great. He seems to be hitting his deadlines and hasn't really faltered so there's that!

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    Definitely a setup issue, but solid. I would have liked maybe one kind of OMG moment but alas!

I thought the art was great. I've been a longtime fan of Werneck from way before he booked the X-Men gigs. He has a great love for the characters and is obviously very into things looking beautiful/pretty/pinup-y. So his earlier work kind of reflected that and the more dynamic moments were not as compelling. I think that's where this issue showed his growth. The layouts and choices were much more mature. I understand the criticism that some of the pencils looked a little rushed, but overall the work looks great. He seems to be hitting his deadlines and hasn't really faltered so there's that!
    I agree regarding Werneck. Gillen also mentioned him in his brief newsletter today:

"Out this week – not by me, but Lucas joins Gerry to kick off the official climax of the whole Krakoan Age.

I said right when I started in the X-office that I kind of saw Gerry's X-men as the Avengers to Immortal X-men's New Avengers, in a Hickmanian idiom. I think this is definitely true here. Fall of the House of X is the big-budget -movie overt-fight-against-Orchis book, and I couldn't be happier to see Lucas finally getting to draw some real superhero action.

Next week - RB and me, with Rise of the Powers of X #1."
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

So is Xavier on the Krakoa that is running? I get confused since there are multiple islands...?
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Magneto's back!!!

Attached Images Attached Images
    "Cable was right!"

I wouldn't mind this being 95% setup if we had not just spent the last 6 months setting up this event.

There's also a few things that don't really make sense, although maybe I'm just nitpicking:

1) Isn't Xavier supposed to be in Muir Island still?
    2) Why is Rasputin IV working with him? As far as we knew she thought he was still possibly sinisterized and not to be trusted. She would be particularly wary of him.
    3) Rasputin IV can't fly. That was a big plot point in SoS.
    4) Couldn't Xavier wait like 10 seconds and let Rasputin IV rescue Cyclops?
    5) How does this fit with X-Force? Aren't Colossus and Wolverine getting hunted by Beast?
    6) Wasn't Krakoa in a comma?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    I partially agree with you. It could have been better executed, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it robs the scene of its power.

I've been very critical of Duggan's writing, so it's possible I'm just more willing to give him a break when he gets something right, though.

Even if that's not the case, we can still disagree.
    I think that scene had a few problems. I don't think pointing out OS was there was one of them, but I do think that was a problem itself because OS does not even know why she was brought along and it is never said why. Also, Scott throws out this random 'bourbon' comment which had no lead in or fallout. And while I can interpret what Duggan is going for I feel like it is giving him points for getting the right answer but the solution had lots of problems. That said, it did not ruin the book for me as I am just used to Duggan writing like this forever and his story structure and pacing and event plotting all suffer the same problems. He is someone who could really benefit from an editor or even a fellow writer or the artist himself giving some feedback the improves his work.

Finally got to read this, it’s been a long day!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I loved it. It felt classic in the best ways and I loved how Cyclops was written. He's standing firm and I'm looking forward to him fighting back. The war is on now and this issue definitely provided the feel that this is the endgame of the era.
    Yep, it’s on for young and old! This had me excited and kinda nervous the whole way through. Keen to see the next part of this for sure! Really felt like the endgame is coming, and yeah; Cyclops is the man!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_DCD View Post
    I appreciate that Jean's presence was felt throughout the issue

Cyke's smirk when he coaxed that response from Gregor, ��
    So good!

Also, I loved, loved, LOVED the scene with Colossus, Wolvie and Nightcrawler!! Love the three of them together!

I’ll post/interact more tomorrow but I wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    I wouldn't mind this being 95% setup if we had not just spent the last 6 months setting up this event.

There's also a few things that don't really make sense, although maybe I'm just nitpicking:

2) Why is Rasputin IV working with him? As far as we knew she thought he was still possibly sinisterized and not to be trusted. She would be particularly wary of him.
    5) How does this fit with X-Force? Aren't Colossus and Wolverine getting hunted by Beast?
    is this even canon? or another alternate timeline?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Yeah, I don’t get:

1. When / why did Xavier go back to Krakoa? He’s supposed to be on Muir?
    2. Why did he summon Rasputin away; what does he mean he and Rasputin can save them all?
    3. Did Krakoa break a piece off itself away or is that the whole island that now looks like Groot?
    4. Is Nimrod now imprisoned inside Krakoa with Doug? If Sabretooth could escape…
    5. Whatever happened to Orchis’ ultimatum / threat: Ten humans would be killed for each mutant found on earth? Wasn’t that the threat that broke Xavier? What’s changed?
    6. Whatever happened to Xavier’s Immortal / SoS threat: He could kill or change every mind on the planet if he wanted to?
    Last edited by HomoSuperior; 01-03-2024 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    A lot of fluff and no real substance.

Nimrod being stopped by amber? No Firestar, not even in the background of Orchis when she's supposed to be an acting director of a whole bloody division? How did Lorna get to Jupiter? (Great new costume by the way)
    Maybe we'll get an answer about the Jupiter part later. My headcanon is that she created a wormhole (like AU versions of her and Magneto did in X-Men The End) to get there. The Krakoa gate seems to be off the table due to recent events, but perhaps Lorna can use her powers to still walk through them. Last possibility I can think of is just putting herself in a bullet, I mean ship, and making it go really fast.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post

Best to consider X-Force as its own story as it's been for the last 3 years lol. I believe Rise will showcase Xavier more because it's been said Rise and Dead X-Men are connected, and Xavier initiates the mission that team goes on. So I expect we'll learn more about Xavier (and Rasputin) in that title. I also still think Xavier pulled Rasputin away when he did for a reason to be revealed later.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    Finally got to read this, it’s been a long day!

Yep, it’s on for young and old! This had me excited and kinda nervous the whole way through. Keen to see the next part of this for sure! Really felt like the endgame is coming, and yeah; Cyclops is the man!

So good!

Also, I loved, loved, LOVED the scene with Colossus, Wolvie and Nightcrawler!! Love the three of them together!

I’ll post/interact more tomorrow but I wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this.
    I really loved the Colossus, Wolverine, Nighty scene as well. I just reread it and now I'm looking forward to Rise next week!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzystarr View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that Miss Gregor is going to realize Cyclops was right when she discovers Nimrod and Omega Sentinel's TRUE plans for humanity and turn against them
    And then die in the process? Or will she, like so many unfortunately have, effectively sell her soul and forsake her own humanity out of fear and loathing of some "other"?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    Yeah, I don’t get:

1. When / why did Xavier go back to Krakoa? He’s supposed to be on Muir?
    2. Why did he summon Rasputin away; what does he mean he and Rasputin can save them all?
    3. Did Krakoa break a piece off itself away or is that the whole island that now looks like Groot?
    4. Is Nimrod now imprisoned inside Krakoa with Doug? If Sabretooth could escape…
    5. Whatever happened to Orchis’ ultimatum / threat: Ten humans would be killed for each mutant found on earth? Wasn’t that the threat that broke Xavier? What’s changed?
    6. Whatever happened to Xavier’s Immortal / SoS threat: He could kill or change every mind on the planet if he wanted to?
    At this point I am not sure I don't consider him Xavier. More or less a Sinister. I am not sure Xavier was there at all since Gillen started.

Truthfully, I think some of the disappointment some people have comes from a) the issue leaking early (and therefore getting people used to its contents before official release), and b) knowing in advance about how the issue would end and what it’s leading to. When the second issue’s cover and solicit came out, there was a lot of excitement and positive surprise out of the reveal. Knowing all of that so far in advance lessens the wow factor that the ending would’ve had.

Now to be clear, as a Lorna fan I’m extremely happy we got that information months in advance, and I love what we’ve seen with her so far. As a Lorna fan, I wouldn’t change that at all. But I do also need to be realistic and acknowledge how such things affect how others see these things.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Spectacular Member

The best takeaway from this for me was Lorna's new costume, it might be my favourite Polaris outfit I think! I also really liked Scott's scenes.

I didn't hate the issue overall, but it all just felt kind of weirdly disjointed with wonky pacing and characters being placed where they need to be for the story to happen without it necessarily making sense... eg:

- wasn't Scott's back broken? Did I miss something here?
    - it's weird seeing Dr Gregor again when she's been such a non-entity for so long, but I'm glad to see her
    - how did Lorna get to Knowhere so quick?? Is she really powerful enough to just casually generate wormholes?
    - I'm sorry, Nimrod is like the most advanced Sentinel killing machine that ever existed and he gets taken out by a blob of amber???
    - the cut to Rogue and Gambit flying off with the others was so jarring...what happened to rescuing Cyclops? Considering their original plan was to get Rasputin to phase Scott through the floor, couldn't Kitty have done that? Couldn't Kurt have teleported him away?? That's such a weird thing to leave off-panel..