Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Fall of the House of X #1 - Review/Spoilers

We open in a dream that Cyclops has been having. His hands are tied and the rope is attached to a darkened figure on horseback. Cyclops is led into an angry town where he's on trial for crimes he doesn't know of. The head judge is Charles and the others on the panel are Moira, Stasis, Omega Sentinel, and MODOK. Stasis says he is guilty of all crimes. As Cyclops is about to be executed by hanging we see a woman with red hair in the audience, most of her face covered by her bonnet. When the executioner pulls the lever the trapdoor below Cyclops falls but instead of falling and hanging, he remains floating in the air.

He wakes up and he's in one of his classic costumes, the blue and yellow with head covering. He's in a vehicle and when the door opens, he steps out to a large crowd in front of the courthouse in Paris, France. Narration tells us that he knows Orchis has him right where they want him, on trial with mutantdom as his co-defendants. He's playing along, buying the resistance time to strike back.

We get the preview pages of Colossus and Wolverine in the tunnels under the courthouse, the mutant circuit/fastball special narration, and Colossus throwing an Orchis goon at Wolverine to slice through.

Inside an interrogation room Dr. Alia Gregor and Omega Sentinel visit Cyclops. We see the first part of the exchange that we saw in the preview pages and then Cyclops says grief is a heavy set of chains, referring to Gregor. Gregor becomes angry and says "don't you dare." and that thanks to Orchis' sacrifice the last human has died because of mutant aggression. She says she's not having a hard time and to not pretend to know her. Cyclops apologizes and says he thought he caught a whiff of bourbon on her morning coffee. Haha. He asks why she is there and why Omega is accompanying her. Karima says she's wondering the same thing. Gregor says she came to see him, to tell him that though she lost a husband in a battle, she won the war. Cyclops says he thinks she came for something else, a human interaction with a man experiencing his own profound grief. Gregor is silent, her face softening.

Cyclops: And what happens after? When the last mutant is dead under your heels?
    Gregor: I'm not sure. I suppose... mankind exhales and lives happily ever after.

Cyclops smiles and she asks if that is a funny idea to him, human happiness. His face gets serious again and he says the question wasn't for her. OS chimes in saying they should go and that Cyclops is needed in court.

Charles Xavier is at the Green Lagoon on Krakoa, or what's left of it. He says "no more" three times, the third time yelling it as a power signature emits from him amid the rage. Putting three fingers to his temple he telepathically says, "It's time... to me, my X-Man." He's speaking to Rasputin IV who is hovering above the courthouse about to implement an important part of the rescue mission. We learn that she's been splitting her time between working with Xavier and the X-Men. He says he and she can save them all but she has to come to him right now. She agrees and leaves, abandoning the mission.

Wolverine telepathically calls to Rasputin IV telling her he and Colossus are ready for her to retrieve and phase Cyclops down to them. She's not answering as she has left to meet with Xavier. Logan smells soldiers and cordite and hears a loud, heavy rumbling coming towards them. They're hit by an explosion that blows up the wall and on the other side are Orchis goons and a big tank. Logan says "aw crud" and Colossus realizes it's electromagnetic as they both get thrown up against the wall by the EM weapon. One of the goons fires a flame gun at them and Logan starts burning. The goons laugh but not for long as Nightcrawler bamfs in and knocks them all out and disables the EM weapon. Colossus and Logan are pissed off. Logan, half fried, says he'll kill them all as Colossus tosses the tank through a wall like it's a toy. Kurt notes that they lost Rasputin IV and so they must adapt their plan, that the invasion of earth may have to launch while Cyclops is still prisoner. Colossus and Logan make it clear that they are ready and Kurt bamfs them all away saying, "Then... to war."

Inside the courthouse the prosecutor finishes his bogus speech and the judge says the defense can begin. Cyclops stands and essentially says that he will not dignify this circus by offering a defense. He says there is good in humanity but that he is not being prosecuted by it. The judge says he warned Cyclops that if he followed through with this non-tactic that he would surely be found guilty. Cyclops responds that he can only be judged by one soul and that he does not think the judge would like to meet her.

On The Bloom, Stasis is ecstatic and says they got what they wanted, that Krakoa and all mutants are guilty. He pours Feilong and Gregor drinks as he says they won. OS turns to Nimrod and asks why wait to celebrate and tells him to go kill Krakoa. He says it's his pleasure as he teleports away. Gregor is listening as OS then says, "Then we celebrate on Sentinel City."

Nimrod appears in front of Krakoa (the tree/face) who is alarmed. Nimrod calls it a big dumb island and says he wishes he could say this won't hurt but he doesn't want to lie. as his arm turns into a long blade. He runs at Krakoa who suddenly spits and covers Nimrod in amber! "Amber?! Unit disabled! He got me!" Yes! Krakoa says something in its language while lifting its leg and then slams its foot on Nimrod driving him into the Pit, vines holding him in place along with the amber. Krakoa starts to run.

Go Krakoa, go!

Double data page, a statement from Cyclops released by his attorney She-Hulk. It was to be released if he was convicted and some of the main points are:
    - He hasn't really followed all of the charges but he knows they include Krakoa being an invasive species and mass murder.
    - He knows the leaders in France are likely compromised.
    - He didn't present a defense or speak in front of cameras because he didn't want Orchis to use him even more for their propaganda.
    - He's in this predicament not because he lost a battle but because of big lies. "I am a mutant. I am an X-Man. I belong here."
    - "I will not be murdered by Orchis without a fight, and I ask everyone reading these words a simple question: Once fascism kills mutants, who will be next? Maybe you."
    - He says it's never too late to turn away from hate.
    - "You might wonder why I participated in Orchis' sham trial at all if I had no intention of defending myself. I was buying time for my teammates and friends to gather their forces. Now I will defend myself."

"People of Earth. While you slept, the world changed." It's Gregor being broadcast through the Stark Sentinels. Blah blah Krakoa has been proven to be an invasive alien species and Orchis is pulling it from Earth's garden. She says the next few hours will be uncomfortable, that Orchis does not relish the threat of violence. Krakoa will be eradicated and the mutants who don't leave the planet peacefully will be liquidated. This is their final warning.

Rogue and Gambit are piloting the X-Jet (what's it called now?) with Kate, Kurt, Piotr, and Logan inside. Rogue notes that they didn't get Cyclops and Kate asks what happened to Rasputin, which no one knows. Gambit asks what happened to Iron Man's big plan and Kate says he's executing it now (see Iron Man #14-#15). Kate says she'll have Emma start the comms and she wishes everyone luck as she starts to phase through the bottom of her seat. Logan says he'll see her on the other side and tells her not to die out there. If they lose today, they lose it all.

Kate travels to various locations to rally the troops. "Game on" she says to Tony and Emma. She appears on Arakko and tells Woofer it's time and to be ready for Forge's fleet coming from deep space. Woofer says they're ready. She goes to the mansion where Juggernaut is brandishing a big gun that he said he got from one of Cable's armories. "Go be unstoppable, big guy," she says.

In New York City we see Kamala and Captain Wilson trying to protect people as a fight has broken out between a Sentinel and I assume some mutants. Emma reaches out telepathically to a large amount of people but it's unclear who exactly she is reaching out to. She says if they can hear her beautiful voice in their head then they are part of the resistance. She's touching so many beautiful mutant and human minds. "Keep resisting." She says they're fighting much earlier than they would prefer but she has the utmost confidence in all of their abilities. They must succeed as the whole world is at stake. They must be nothing less than fabulous. She says in the hours to come if anyone has their back to the wall, call her and she'll put her thumb on the scale and send help. Kate is running through Washington Square Park in NYC with explosions and fire all around. Someone is flying in the air, maybe Monet. Kate goes through a gate which takes her to Island M. "Polaris! It's time - oh no! *sigh* Lorna... we needed you..." she says as she sees Lorna's uniform and sunglasses on the ground. She's not there.

Knowhere. Broo is watching over the Brood when a figure enters the chamber. "Jean! Is that you? I was beginning to worry you wouldn't come back for... Oh. It's you. You're the last person I expected to come out this way."

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I loved it. It felt classic in the best ways and I loved how Cyclops was written. He's standing firm and I'm looking forward to him fighting back. The war is on now and this issue definitely provided the feel that this is the endgame of the era.

We knew Polaris would be stepping out onto the stage and those final pages were simply awesome.

Loved it. Looking forward to issue two. Not sure how I feel about the accompanying book though because I’m not a fan of stories that take place in the future.

Only one gripe: Where the hell is Firestar?!?
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Loved it. Looking forward to issue two. Not sure how I feel about the accompanying book though because I’m not a fan of stories that take place in the future.

Only one gripe: Where the hell is Firestar?!?
    The main X-Men book is still running so I’m confident that’s where her story will continue to be.

Okay issue. Art is a downgrade from Pepe Larraz.

Fantastic Member

I have a sneaking suspicion that Miss Gregor is going to realize Cyclops was right when she discovers Nimrod and Omega Sentinel's TRUE plans for humanity and turn against them

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I loved it. It felt classic in the best ways and I loved how Cyclops was written. He's standing firm and I'm looking forward to him fighting back. The war is on now and this issue definitely provided the feel that this is the endgame of the era.

We knew Polaris would be stepping out onto the stage and those final pages were simply awesome.
    Yeah, I enjoyed it a lot too. Pretty solid set up issue. Definitely felt classic... perhaps a bit too much so, though. Wish they were in more modern costumes, as I think that aesthetic would've helped not make this feel sooo retro. At least IMO.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

I went into the issue hoping that it would help bring back some of the excitement I had for the Krakoa era. This was an OK issue but when I finished reading it I wasn't excited to see what happens next I was just excited that this long drawn out story is almost over.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Was pretty good. IMO Werneck was rushed in this issue so hopefully they give him more runway in the next 5 issues.

Wondering if Xavier pulled Rasputin away to help with the Dead X-Men mission.
    Last edited by CGAR; 01-03-2024 at 09:14 AM.

I haven't read it yet, but I'm happy Lorna is getting a big role. And a great new costume!

I appreciate that Jean's presence was felt throughout the issue

Cyke's smirk when he coaxed that response from Gregor, ��

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Was pretty good. IMO Werneck was rush in this issue so hopefully they give him more runway in the next 5 issues.

Wondering if Xavier pulled Rasputin away to help with the Dead X-Men mission.
    I'm wondering if calling Rasputin away is his first step in making changes that need to happen. It seems like a very particular and important juncture to summon her, moments before she breaks Cyclops out. After studying Sinister's computer maybe he learned that Cyclops has to be "convicted" and the war has to kick off.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_DCD View Post
    I appreciate that Jean's presence was felt throughout the issue

Cyke's smirk when he coaxed that response from Gregor, ��
    That smirk is on my phone now. I loved how Cyclops was written. He had no interest in trying to convince anyone of his innocence, refused to play their propaganda game, and knew his people would be making moves in the background. I loved his official statement.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_fury View Post
    The timeline is all wonky, but extending from the original plan will do that.

But yeah the art was bad, looked very "noodly" meaning everyone looked stretched and bendy, plus a lot of blank backgrounds

Incredible Member

I'm curious, I don't think it has anything to do with this comic, but where are Doug and Warlock in the comics?

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_fury View Post
    Serious? I think Lucas Werneck is quite a talented artist. Pepe too, but Lucas Werneck being a downgrade? Now, I do not agree to that at all. And judging from the upcoming results of the 2023 voting, they both are favorite artists.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================