Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I believe Krakoa has Doug still and Warlock appeared in Uncanny Spider-Man (Nightcrawler series)

The more I look at this the more I think Xavier might have been mentally somewhere else in the panels just before and then "returned" here.

Rachel's power signature has been fire lately and we know both she and Xavier are connected to the Dead X-Men series kicking off in a few weeks. Immediately after he calls Rasputin away so I think he did so in hopes of saving mutantkind from some kind of future events.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member

This was alright but mostly promises of actions clumsily thrown together. Seeing Krakoa just up an run away is strange and I can only imagine that what he is saying at that time is Krakoan for "I am Groot".

As for the timing of Xavier calling away Rasputin, Duggan did nothing to convince me it was anything other than a coincidence. Xavier never makes it seem like he is calling her because he wants to stop it, although it ends up seeming like if she had phased him out at the right time he would have been ambushed and likely to have not survived it like Wolverine or Colossus did.

Dr. Gregor picking up on not being one of the cool kids might be one of the things Duggan gets right if he can manage to stop writing her like a cartoon villain like the rest of the cast and even if the she ends up turning good, or at least having some sort of redemption, then I would commend him for that. I also have to give him kudos for the Jott pandering.

I'm not going to be able to read this until about 6:30pm Pacific Time so I haven't looked at any posts in this thread yet, because SPOILERS obviously, but damn I'm excited for it!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    I'm curious, I don't think it has anything to do with this comic, but where are Doug and Warlock in the comics?
    Doug got stolen by Krakoa in the immortal issue before the Gala (I don't remember the number) but I think Warlock got rescued in the last Uncanny spider man.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    This was alright but mostly promises of actions clumsily thrown together. Seeing Krakoa just up an run away is strange and I can only imagine that what he is saying at that time is Krakoan for "I am Groot".

As for the timing of Xavier calling away Rasputin, Duggan did nothing to convince me it was anything other than a coincidence. Xavier never makes it seem like he is calling her because he wants to stop it, although it ends up seeming like if she had phased him out at the right time he would have been ambushed and likely to have not survived it like Wolverine or Colossus did.

Dr. Gregor picking up on not being one of the cool kids might be one of the things Duggan gets right if he can manage to stop writing her like a cartoon villain like the rest of the cast and even if the she ends up turning good, or at least having some sort of redemption, then I would commend him for that. I also have to give him kudos for the Jott pandering.
    That side eye Gregor gives OS and Nimrod as they go to "celebrate" in Sentinel City is rather telling

A transportation/set up issue.

Nimrod and the amber ambush was.. well I'm tryign to be diplomatic here but it was CRAP. Even as a temporary solution it was crap.

Alissa is seeing red flags and it's not done with much sublety. She is just a unpleasant character who had an equally unpleasant husband die on her in the start of this era. Don't let the door hit you on the way out Alissa when you have fulfilled your turncoat moment.

Gambit and Rogue are there for a blink and you miss it cameo. I wonder how long it will take for them to do whatever, probably Manifold related, they will do.

The art is suprisingly bad. It's uneven, rushed. I would call this house art, house art - even.

This whole issue was full of tidbits that might turn into something better, or not. I want to be excited but all it got me to feel is lukewarm. It feels rushed.

Duggan calling Emma and TONY Mr&Mrs X... a dig that I hope is playful from his side.

Overall: 6/10. Functionary without much flare but at least it had some strong Scott moments, even though I don't buy, solely at least, books for that.

You people calling out “bad art” are not only incredibly rude, but also completely ignorant of what art is.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Found it on Twitter and wonder if there is any connection between these two scenes or something

IMG_5931.jpg

Is Cyclops walking again?

In Cyclops’s dream, Jean is wearing the Phoenix around her neck. It’s been said that he’s been talking to his dead wife. He’s confident she will return.

Incredible Member

Duggan continues to show that he is ill suited for event books.

A lot of it was dumb fun, but things are happening just to happen, without any buildup. Nimrod can handle an unstoppable Juggernaut no problem because the Hellfire Gala needed him to defeat everyone, yet amber is able to completely incapacitate someone who should just be able to teleport out of the amber.

Here we have a hamfisted attempt in this issue, where Cyclops purposefully asks Dr. Gregor why Omega Sentinel is there, and she doesn't really provide a reason. We all know, though, that the reason is so that Cyclops can make a comment directed at Omega Sentinel, to make Dr. Gregor suspicious. Couldn't that have been foreshadowed bettering during Fall of X, where you show scenes of Dr. Gregor noticing things that Omega Sentinel is doing? Instead of Dr. Gregor character development during Fall of X, we just got Doctor Stasis monologues that don't enhance anything that is happening here.

During Fall of X, Lorna could have been doing things, that connect her to Jean's legacy and to the Brood. Instead, we get an out of nowhere jaunt to Knowhere, where even Kitty is surprised by Lorna disappearing.

'Assembling the team' is the best part of any heist movie, yet here Duggan skips all that to have them already joining the fray. Aside from Juggernaut, Fall of X could have spent time on assembling the team. The people joining the fight now, are the same mutants who were ready to fight right after the Hellfire Gala.

Duggan's event doesn't seem to be in conversation with Gillen's book (Xavier's status), let alone his own books.
    Last edited by lefthanded; 01-03-2024 at 10:04 AM.

Cross-post.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Before now, she was at the treehouse crying due to her father Magneto's death, which took a year (real world time) after his death to happen on panel for some reason.

Within the story, saying this mainly for the casual lurkers, the treehouse was burned down shortly after this by Orchis, which led fans to wonder what might happen with her. Some speculation that maybe she died in that fire but we hadn't seen it, but there was also a scene teasing what's happening in Fall of the House of X now before that happened. So people also speculated things similar to what we're seeing now.

Starting with the more important stuff first, but under spoiler tags.

spoilers:
    Throughout the issue, there's a few characters that Xavier directly contacts via telepathy asking them to leave an plan in action to break Cyclops out of Orchis' hold to take part in a different plan he has in mind that he says needs to be done right this moment. Lorna heads off to Knowhere before Kitty arrives to give her the go-ahead for pre-made plans. Now, where we're at right now with this first issue, we actually don't know what prompted Lorna to head to Knowhere. The running theme of characters running off for Xavier's plan suggests Lorna may be playing a part in it, but we have no actual confirmation one way or another. No scene showing Xavier reaching out to Lorna, no scene of Lorna saying or thinking that it's something Xavier asked her to do, etc. Maybe those things happened in the background after all and Duggan just didn't waste panel time on time. Or, it could be that Lorna is simply doing this of her own accord, using what she knows to hit Orchis hard. We'll have to see in future issues as they unfold.

A second key and interesting detail is how Kitty goes to find Lorna on the island where Magneto originally operated the Brotherhood, Island M. As you can see from the wikia article, there's other interesting details (repurposing for Krakoa into Cradle Two, a history with the Ancients/Great Old Ones, etc), but I think the Magneto Brotherhood elements are the most interesting and most valuable for Lorna. We've spent the time since Magneto's death seeing Storm used as the focal character for just about everything regarding Magneto's death and legacy, including running the Brotherhood, while Lorna was shown with no reaction at all to her own father's death until the gala. So I think touches like this are a way to tell us in the gaps of the story that Lorna's been thinking about and dealing with these things in-universe even though the company wasn't properly addressing it until now.

Kitty also finding Lorna's minidress ensemble is also a meaningful choice. They could've decided not to show that, but it's valuable for how it symbolically represents a change in attitude for her. From the laidback casual approach while on the X-Men book, to the warrior about to take on Orchis. Goes a long way to demonstrate Lorna as the multifaceted character she is.
    end of spoilers

And now for the eternal costume discourse that'll take up 5 pages.

I agree this is the best costume she's had yet. You can distinctly tell that it's Lorna due to the headgear design within her helmet and the cape, as well (of course) with the all green. The varying shades of green do a great job of giving her some color variation while retaining her most well known color. The helmet here is also great as an evolution from her tiara; retaining it in her design but moving it forward. There's an implication of Magneto to it without sacrificing her own visual identity in the process. I do still wish it looked more like battle armor, but doesn't change that it looks amazing, provides meaningful evolution to her look without killing her identity in the process, and is the best she's had to date.

All in all, good showing for Lorna already even with it being just a few pages. Looking forward to the next issue, and I encourage people to buy and read this one.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

This certainly was not as powerful as Hickman's HoX but it was a solid issue. Duggan has been laying it on thick reworking solid dialogue quotes of Hickman lately; and his written is significantly enhanced depending on the artist and luckily Wernick does a great job this issue. The classic era vibes were very heavy aside from Rasputin with another added plot of her relation with Xavier apparently. I enjoyed seeing Krakoa move and take action (tho stopping Nimrod should not have been that easy), very curious where Doug is. Looking forward to see how everything "ends". I hope Iceman circles back in good to important way.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    You people calling out “bad art” are not only incredibly rude, but also completely ignorant of what art is.
    LMAO, in your opinion

Art is subjective, and having an opinion doesn't constitute "rudeness"

I don't know how would handle an Art class