Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Agreed.
    I get that it's not information that they can just release to the media and it will immediately be believed and turn the tide...that would be utterly implausible. Still, that would have been the best time for Scott to not be cryptic and let Grogor know exactly what's going to happen, she might not have believed it immediately but it would have caused some dissention among the Orchis ranks. Plus, we could have seen quiet "seeding" of that bit of info among their Superhero allies and their trusted allies...to let them know exactly what's really at stake. That this was never just a mutant issue. Enh! I guess they're just waiting for the "right time".

All that...and they still didn't rescue Scott.
    I get what you mean, Deva. But narrative pacing and architecture aside, judging the scene for the scene only, sometimes suspicion is better than actually giving someone who is hostile the cold facts. It makes them go look for them, instead of dismissing them because it's coming from a source they distrust.

That was the only good part of the comic, in my opinion. First, Scott appeals to the fact that he has a feeling heart which is capable of grief, like hers. Making her see she's more like him than the machines. Then he plants that idea.

It's great to see Scott being the mastermind he's supposed to be, but I can't say it's satisfying after all those months/years of meh stuff. Can we let the man kick some ass now? Or at least bark some others to team?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    I get what you mean, Deva. But narrative pacing and architecture aside, judging the scene for the scene only, sometimes suspicion is better than actually giving someone who is hostile the cold facts. It makes them go look for them, instead of dismissing them because it's coming from a source they distrust.

That was the only good part of the comic, in my opinion. First, Scott appeals to the fact that he has a feeling heart which is capable of grief, like hers. Making her see she's more like him than the machines. Then he plants that idea.

It's great to see Scott being the mastermind he's supposed to be, but I can't say it's satisfying after all those months/years of meh stuff. Can we let the man kick some ass now? Or at least bark some others to team?
    End of scene where Scott manipulates Gregor/Omega Sentinel by saying "My question wasn't for you Dr. Gregor"? Masterful.
    Start of scene with Scott pointing out that there is no reason for Omega Sentinel to be there? Horrible.

"My question wasn't for you" doesn't work if there isn't someone else in the room, or there isn't someone else watching on camera. Had Duggan just had Gregor/Omega Sentinel enter the room for their regularly scheduled interrogation, the entire scene would still work beautifully. Had Duggan instead just shown OS watching the interrogation over the camera, with Cyclops looking towards the camera as he says it, the scene would still work.

But,by having Duggan bluntly point out that Omega Sentinel is there as the setup, just to allow Scott to make Gregor suspicious in the next scene, it robs the scene of its power by making us (the reader) question the entire setup as being artificial.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    One more thing, since Duggan loves to show off how much he knows mutant chronology.
    Tell his "historians" that Fastball Special came after this:

Attachment 136732
    I’m definitely sure the first one was actually with o5 and Polaris or havok

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    End of scene where Scott manipulates Gregor/Omega Sentinel by saying "My question wasn't for you Dr. Gregor"? Masterful.
    Start of scene with Scott pointing out that there is no reason for Omega Sentinel to be there? Horrible.

"My question wasn't for you" doesn't work if there isn't someone else in the room, or there isn't someone else watching on camera. Had Duggan just had Gregor/Omega Sentinel enter the room for their regularly scheduled interrogation, the entire scene would still work beautifully. Had Duggan instead just shown OS watching the interrogation over the camera, with Cyclops looking towards the camera as he says it, the scene would still work.

But,by having Duggan bluntly point out that Omega Sentinel is there as the setup, just to allow Scott to make Gregor suspicious in the next scene, it robs the scene of its power by making us (the reader) question the entire setup as being artificial.
    I liked the end of that scene but it read like a scene where Duggan had an ending he wanted to reach and he worked backwards from that when writing it.

Agreed.
    I get that it's not information that they can just release to the media and it will immediately be believed and turn the tide...that would be utterly implausible. Still, that would have been the best time for Scott to not be cryptic and let Grogor know exactly what's going to happen, she might not have believed it immediately but it would have caused some dissention among the Orchis ranks. Plus, we could have seen quiet "seeding" of that bit of info among their Superhero allies and their trusted allies...to let them know exactly what's really at stake. That this was never just a mutant issue. Enh! I guess they're just waiting for the "right time".

All that...and they still didn't rescue Scott.
    I think if your scenario happens, it's gonna be a later reveal in the story.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Thought it was a solid first issue, sets us up for what’s to come does the job well also. I thought the art was good for the most part. Not Werneck’s best work but still solid. My only complaint would be Nimrods dialogue, it was pretty corny for a giant murder machine. 8/10.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

A lot of fluff and no real substance.

Nimrod being stopped by amber? No Firestar, not even in the background of Orchis when she's supposed to be an acting director of a whole bloody division? How did Lorna get to Jupiter? (Great new costume by the way)

Well, I guess the Brood can be useful for something after all: they can be meat shields and die for the mutants.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Well, I guess the Brood can be useful for something after all: they can be meat shields and die for the mutants.
    Thank you Jean .

It was a good set up issue overall. We don't know much about Lorna's time or decisions from the gala to this issue, but we know where it led.

I Lorna leaving her outfit behind was symbolically important. No coffee cup as others have noted thankfully. Also, looking for Lorna on Island M came with good symbolism in terms of the history. Also, Lorna has had the kid gloves on for many years now. It nice to see her look ready to remove them and take action. I deeply hope current events ushers in the start of a new era for Lorna and this story arc isn't just forgotten about in a year.

In terms of the outfit, it is very strong. The best she has had to date. In utilitarian terms Lorna has always been willing to wear heavy chunks of metal on her head over half or more of it. It never made sense to me why not go all the way and go for a helmet that offers telepathic protection and remove one of her largest weaknesses. Second, the entire visual look keeps much of her classic design while having aspects of her families.

There are issues I could quibble over. The body could have more aspects to her classic design, and it would be nice if skulls were somewhere, but its a strong outfit overall. What I really like in terms of the headgear is that it comes down on the side of her face more like her Hidden Years classic variant. It really looks good on Lorna. I liked the Norse design on the top for the classic that the current outfit is lacking, but like I said the outfit is very strong. The best she has had to date, but not perfect.

Frustrating issue.

The attack on the courthouse was ridiculously half-baked and I’m not feeling Murder Colossus at all. Pacifism was always the most interesting thing about Piotr. Then it was like Kate was going around gathering forces for the real attack - why not just lead with the real attack? Having Xavier, Loran and Tony off doing their own thing made the mutants look disorganised and weak.

Duggan’s Nimrod speaks with the same voice as his Deadpool and Krakoa getting away by gobbing on him and running off was pure Benny Hill show.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I thought this was a very solid first issue, with fun character moments, a number of sub-plots introduced and one of the best Cyclops issues by Gerry Duggan. Orchis felt more like Hickman's Orchis than Duggan's Orchis in this issue as Karima and Nimrod got to play a bit more than usual.

Nit 1...if Scott knows OS and Nimsy's ultimate plans for humanity (and he's not the only one) why don't more people know about it? It's like they're (the writers) waiting for the right time to reveal it but...why?
    I mean the mutants and maybe the Avengeers are on board but most of humanity and Orchis-aligned people are just gonna laugh and say 'Nice try!' Because to them the machines are still just robots doing their bidding'.

Nit 2...Nimsy was taken out so easily considering his past showings.
    I assumed he was just being his usual sassy stuff and had it planned out to be like "OHNO... just kidding." Then break out and zap Krakoa. Really just savoring the moment since he could only do it once. But when he popped out a second later Krakoa had already grown legs and taken off.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post

I partially agree with you. It could have been better executed, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it robs the scene of its power.

I've been very critical of Duggan's writing, so it's possible I'm just more willing to give him a break when he gets something right, though.

Even if that's not the case, we can still disagree. :)

I thought it was alright. Nothing spectacular, but nothing truly egregious, either. I was glad Cyclops finally got to do something other than be strapped to a giant X. And I loved the ending with Polaris. On the flip side, I was disappointed that we didn't get to see the main team come together. After being in separate books for Fall of X, it would've been nice to see them reunite on panel. Also, I can't stand Duggan's Nimrod. I'll never understand why he chose to write him as some weird man-child. I know the future version of Nimrod in Powers of X had a bit of a sassy personality, but THIS Nimrod, as written by Hickman and Spurrier, wasn't like that at all. It's just really bizarre.