Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Has it ever been officially confirmed that what Krakoa says is gibberish?

As earlier on, this translation key did actually work:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xmen/commen..._language_not/

but using that on today's issue equates to the following:

"lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consevtetuer"

&

"sed diam nonummy nibh duismod"

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I think that scene had a few problems. I don't think pointing out OS was there was one of them, but I do think that was a problem itself because OS does not even know why she was brought along and it is never said why. Also, Scott throws out this random 'bourbon' comment which had no lead in or fallout. And while I can interpret what Duggan is going for I feel like it is giving him points for getting the right answer but the solution had lots of problems. That said, it did not ruin the book for me as I am just used to Duggan writing like this forever and his story structure and pacing and event plotting all suffer the same problems. He is someone who could really benefit from an editor or even a fellow writer or the artist himself giving some feedback the improves his work.
    Like I said, it could have been better executed (I didn't really say how ;) ). I think pointing out the bourbon was intended as Scott showing her that he knew she was not doing well.

If it had been better executed, it would be clearer what was his motivation for doing it. Was it to show her that she was not okay working for Orchis and that led her to drinking? Was it to point out her grieving for her husband? To show how her feelings set her apart from the machines?

The scene feels like this to me: Duggan had some items he knew he needed in the scene so he threw them all there without really polishing the dialogue to make them flow to one another.

And that's all I'm going to say here, because if you sound too negative, even if you are giving the *reasons* why, some people get really triggered and start attacking you. So, I'm trying to hold back on any criticism because I have better things to do with my life. :P

If you think this is an interesting conversation (I do, I love talking about writing), please, feel free to PM me, okay?

Astonishing Member

I think that scene had a few problems. I don't think pointing out OS was there was one of them, but I do think that was a problem itself because OS does not even know why she was brought along and it is never said why. Also, Scott throws out this random 'bourbon' comment which had no lead in or fallout. And while I can interpret what Duggan is going for I feel like it is giving him points for getting the right answer but the solution had lots of problems. That said, it did not ruin the book for me as I am just used to Duggan writing like this forever and his story structure and pacing and event plotting all suffer the same problems. He is someone who could really benefit from an editor or even a fellow writer or the artist himself giving some feedback the improves his work.
    This is like the third time that I can recall where Duggan's attempt at profundity does not land whatsoever. When Alia walks through the door,Scott is either teasing(to the reader)or expecting Jean to return (even without the Phoenix history but with recent history of protocols being active in mind) especially if Scott is aware that his wife is dead, but is not fully aware of the aftermath on Krakoa with the five pushed through the gate .He just comes across as flippant. Then moments later he says Alia is there for 'a human interaction with a man experiencing his own profound grief' Really? It is the same thing in X-Men #7 when on a panel Laura is running to his body screaming 'CYCLOPS' and on the next panel he is standing next to Jean at the council. Actually one could surmise Laura is fake screaming for the public looking at him bleeding out.Then in X-Men #8 Synch says 'I didn't know how you were going to handle Ben ,and then you fell and didn't get the chance' ...one thing we can say, Duggan's writing is pretty consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by IamGroot View Post
    Has it ever been officially confirmed that what Krakoa says is gibberish?

As earlier on, this translation key did actually work:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xmen/commen..._language_not/

but using that on today's issue equates to the following:

"lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consevtetuer"

&

"sed diam nonummy nibh duismod"
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    6) Wasn't Krakoa in a comma?
    In comma!? https://www.reddit.com/r/comics/comm...xl8/in_a_coma/

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    The best takeaway from this for me was Lorna's new costume, it might be my favourite Polaris outfit I think! I also really liked Scott's scenes.

I didn't hate the issue overall, but it all just felt kind of weirdly disjointed with wonky pacing and characters being placed where they need to be for the story to happen without it necessarily making sense... eg:

- wasn't Scott's back broken? Did I miss something here?
    - it's weird seeing Dr Gregor again when she's been such a non-entity for so long, but I'm glad to see her
    - how did Lorna get to Knowhere so quick?? Is she really powerful enough to just casually generate wormholes?
    - I'm sorry, Nimrod is like the most advanced Sentinel killing machine that ever existed and he gets taken out by a blob of amber???
    - the cut to Rogue and Gambit flying off with the others was so jarring...what happened to rescuing Cyclops? Considering their original plan was to get Rasputin to phase Scott through the floor, couldn't Kitty have done that? Couldn't Kurt have teleported him away?? That's such a weird thing to leave off-panel..
    Magneto & Xavier both were bodied by Nimrod and they were at their height, it's so all over the place

Extraordinary Member

This amber contained Rexy's DNA, and the sheer badassery embedded in the genetic code of cinema's greatest T-Rex was too much for Nimrod's processors to handle.

Incredible Member

I guess I am maybe oversimplifying it, but I didn't read it as Krakoa stopping Nimrod, just delaying him long enough to get away. We have seen Nimrod on the cover for X-Men #31, coming out next month, so it's pretty clear he isn't "taken out".

To me, it was Krakoa reacting with an unexpected defense, and buying itself enough time to escape. A lot of examples of Nimrod easily dealing with highly powered people, but he's always basically known what to expect from them. Not sure "it can shoot quick-hardening amber goo at you" was covered in the briefing.
    Last edited by sbp1972; 01-04-2024 at 06:16 AM.

The great problem with this scene is that Cyclops is triggering doubts in Alia while Omega Sentinel is there watching everything.
    And it can only lead to two scenarios:

Alia realizes humans are the next target, and she decides to betray the machines. Which would make Omega Sentinel stupid for not seeing it coming.

Omega Sentinel neutralizes Alia before she betrays the machines. Which would make Cyclops stupid for planting doubts in Alia's head in front of Omega Sentinel.

Either way, it's a script failure or laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    I guess I am maybe oversimplifying it, but I didn't read it as Krakoa stopping Nimrod, just delaying him long enough to get away. We have seen Nimrod on the cover for X-Men #31, coming out next month, so it's pretty clear he isn't "taken out".

To me, it was Krakoa reacting with an unexpected defense, and buying itself enough time to escape. A lot of examples of Nimrod easily dealing with highly powered people, but he's always basically known what to expect from them. Not sure "it can shoot quick-hardening amber goo at you" was covered in the briefing.
    Temporary. The problem is how relatively easy it was done. There exists a myriad of mutants with exotic abilities and if Krakoa can DISABLE Nimrod like this it stands to reason a myriad of abilities exist that can affect him similarly. Not just temporary stopping him, but disabling him.
    Still the story needed to happen like this and it was a cool scene drawn by Werneck.

Nimrods power and ability has always been to counter whatever gets thrown at him with speed. Not in 5 minutes, tomorrow or next year. He is a threat that can’t be ignored, a threat you can’t escape or sidestep. Without it he looks like a chump. Like having Magneto be dealt with a metal attack.

That’s what makes Nimrod a villain best used sparingly. It’s hard to balance him, he’s almost a future force of nature.

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post

I love that it was a natural, almost primitive substance that stopped this highly advanced tech robot.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Temporary. The problem is how relatively easy it was done. There exists a myriad of mutants with exotic abilities and if Krakoa can DISABLE Nimrod like this it stands to reason a myriad of abilities exist that can affect him similarly. Not just temporary stopping him, but disabling him.
    Still the story needed to happen like this and it was a cool scene drawn by Werneck.

Nimrods power and ability has always been to counter whatever gets thrown at him with speed. Not in 5 minutes, tomorrow or next year. He is a threat that can’t be ignored, a threat you can’t escape or sidestep. Without it he looks like a chump. Like having Magneto be dealt with a metal attack.

That’s what makes Nimrod a villain best used sparingly. It’s hard to balance him, he’s almost a future force of nature.
    Exactly this. This is the same problem with the Children of the Vault villains.

These villains are supposed to be futuristic, super advanced, and, in Nimrod's case, has a robotic brain that can calculate things/counters in a fraction of a second. You think ChatGPT is amazing? Think about how fast something from the future can process things.

The biggest problem writers have with these advanced characters, is their futuristic abilities are on full display when the writers want to show how strong these villains are, but the instant the writers want the heroes to have an upper hand, the characters forget they are from the future and behave like they are just your random modern day villain.

Writers pre-Duggan used Nimrod sparingly, as the cold calculating villain for which the heroes had almost zero chance against. Duggan is using Nimrod as a cackling teenager, who makes jokes and can't figure out how to teleport out of tree sap even though he teleported there.

Can't argue with that, lol. I remember how hopeless the X-Men seemed against Nimrod during Second Coming, but I guess there is the plausible deniability of this being a different version/operating system or whatever.

I'm sorry Gerry, but Tony and Emma are not Mr. and Mrs. X.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    Exactly this. This is the same problem with the Children of the Vault villains.

These villains are supposed to be futuristic, super advanced, and, in Nimrod's case, has a robotic brain that can calculate things/counters in a fraction of a second. You think ChatGPT is amazing? Think about how fast something from the future can process things.

The biggest problem writers have with these advanced characters, is their futuristic abilities are on full display when the writers want to show how strong these villains are, but the instant the writers want the heroes to have an upper hand, the characters forget they are from the future and behave like they are just your random modern day villain.

Writers pre-Duggan used Nimrod sparingly, as the cold calculating villain for which the heroes had almost zero chance against. Duggan is using Nimrod as a cackling teenager, who makes jokes and can't figure out how to teleport out of tree sap even though he teleported there.
    Teleportation was my first thought.

We know Nimrod will be back. Either by working around it or being freed by someone else.

Best case with Nimrod he will have a big grandstand fight that ends with some clever “circuit” we didn’t see coming that in one way or other puts him out of commission. He’s that kind of threat. If you want to use him regularly as a villain he needs to be nerfed.