Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default What was the point of the Fall of X exactly?

Now that Fall of the House of X has arrived, the specific relevant events that happened was:
    (1) Hellfire Gala (July 2023) where Orchis took out Krakoa and captured Cyclops
    (2) Fall of X
    (3) Fall of the House of X #1 (Jan 2024), where Orchis has Cyclops on trial.

I've read a good amount of the 6 months of Fall of X, and honestly can't tell you what Orchis/X-men have done in the past 6 months that would have affected what happened in this latest issue. Orchis can quickly have contracts with all the biggest nations on Earth, and yet were powerless to get a judge to move up Cyclops trial date? Colossus too busy needing to conclude a story arc from years ago to help free Cyclops? Wolverine too busy needing to conclude Percy's unrelated story arcs to help free Cyclops? Rasputin IV too busy punching Thing to help free Cyclops?

Aside from Marvel missing out on some money, it seems like Hellfire Gala could have flowed directly into Fall of the House of X, and not missed a beat.

Am I missing something? (Yes, I know people are excited by the developments with Jean and learning about Dominion, but that could have happened as tie in issues to Fall of the House of X, as opposed to needing to occur during Fall of X)

Extraordinary Member

To convince people to buy into a bunch of books they would not have even bothered to read the solicits for otherwise.

It is made worse by Fall of X starting after a ten week gap during which no one bothered to do anything, only to get us to a bunch of stories where no one bothers to do anything, just to get to another setup for a story where we can only hope something actually happens.

I think thats one of this issues with each era. They extened the runs and had us in wait mode while some of the writers told subpar stories.

If Hickman I stayed on I think Krakoa would have beena 3-4 year story.

A lot of the complaints in the last two years have been what are we doing? What are we waiting for? and Fall of X kind of show its.

Part of me thinks it was a marketing gimmick to get people more invested in it.

Part of me thinks, especially with it being in a holding pattern, that there was supposed to be a gap between Fall of X and the end of Krakoa

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    To convince people to buy into a bunch of books they would not have even bothered to read the solicits for otherwise.

It is made worse by Fall of X starting after a ten week gap during which no one bothered to do anything, only to get us to a bunch of stories where no one bothers to do anything, just to get to another setup for a story where we can only hope something actually happens.
    This. And they fell for it.

Duggan's X-Men did state why they couldn't just go in and rescue Scott but yes...apart from a few titles (IIM, AF and XM that only dealt with the HFG fallout everyone else was off doing their own thing) the past five/six months were irrelevant to the overarching Orchis plot.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    Part of me thinks it was a marketing gimmick to get people more invested in it.

Part of me thinks, especially with it being in a holding pattern, that there was supposed to be a gap between Fall of X and the end of Krakoa
    Agreed there was supposed to be one more of X era before the end of Krakoa.

Fall of X was treading water to FotHoX. (Which is fine, most of the first year post Hickman was as well - just stop miss marketing stuff).

It a shame before Fall of X is a better and clearer title.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

I think it was a forced way to “keep Krakoa longer”

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Cash grab filler to give them more time before the next cash grab event that could have been the next arc of Duggan's X-Men instead. Fills up space to time out between the end of the Krakoan era and the launch of the Brevoort era. Reiterates why you probably won't be seeing certain characters play an important role in the final story but gives those character's fans some scraps so they don't feel completely left out.

Incredible Member

I just read Fall of the House of X, and now in retrospect, Fall of X seems even worse than filler.

Developments that happen in this issue, could have been seeded throughout the filler arc instead of just being hamfistedly thrown together.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Marketing.

lol.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Cash grab filler to give them more time before the next cash grab event that could have been the next arc of Duggan's X-Men instead. Fills up space to time out between the end of the Krakoan era and the launch of the Brevoort era. Reiterates why you probably won't be seeing certain characters play an important role in the final story but gives those character's fans some scraps so they don't feel completely left out.
    To be clear, this isn't a dig at the creators of those books. I don't think any of them went into these projects without effort or ambition, and some of them did manage to tell a decent to good stand alone story. It's just the Marvel machine doing it's thing that makes this brief period feel kind of pointless.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Braxxer View Post
    They kept it longer but kept spinning their wheels in one spot or just left the engine idling until FotHoX/or we asphyxiate on apathy fumes, whichever came first.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Braxxer View Post
    But in the worst way possible, because the status quo was so reminiscent of pre-Krakoa extinction events.

I will say I’m glad that Red got to finish it’s run and that probably would have been way more rushed if we went straight into the war with Orchis.

The point of it was to serve as a stall tactic. The reason why could be up for debate but regardless they accomplished their mission even though I don't think it was in the best interest of fans or of the franchise.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel