Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aarkus View Post
    short answer to the question posed by the thread: because there are too damn many of them!

DC have allowed too many disparate creators to put their own "stamp" on things, and the result has been an over-saturation of characters representing their primary properties, while a lot of equally/more compelling characters are left to limbo status

if you're going to replace the OG's, pick ONE character for each of them. they don't each need five half-assed interpretations of themselves to make up for one character.

Lantern Corps might be an exception to this, but there are still way too many earth-based Lanterns to make any sense in the overall structure of the Corps. some of them, if they still need to exist, should be moved to other sectors that don't have any species capable of using the rings - of which I'm sure there are plenty, when the total number is 3600 or whatever. then it could at least be explained as earth having "an extraordinary number" of potential ring-bearers, while not over-saturating one lone sector with them.
    Bendis pretty much just seemingly created Teen Lantern, another Earth based Lantern derivative, just because he wanted Young Justice to reflect the different JL members.

We went from Earth only having a Green Lantern because a dying alien crash landed on Earth, to having everyone and their cousins become a green lantern. And during the Rainbow wars, other lantern corps gave Earth rings too.

Future State wasn't a good intro for the Future state cast. The event itself had a scattershot approach and didn't work as a good intro to any of them outside of the new Batman. I'm fine with Jace as a character but he didn't got a good reason to be Batman currently.

Future State's group of new characters would've been served by using the graphic novel line Earth One and the imprints zoom/ink/black label than folding the current continuity.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-05-2024 at 01:13 PM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Yeah, the new Punisher is a white dude (and the book is pretty good) but Punisher fans are fuming.

Obviously, there are racists and bigots of every kind who freak out if it's a minority character, but I don't think that's really the main reason a lot of the time.
    Well, the racists and bigots are also very loud, reasonably organized and know how to work the youtube algorithm in their favor. So some folks end up with the impression that "everybody is complaining about this woke BS", when, in reality, there are like 50 dudes with a camera each.

Last legacy minority character to "kind of" fail was Jaime Reyes (but he got around), and I suspect that's has way less to do with the fact he was latino and a lot more to do with Ted getting shot by Max.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Fans tend to dislike change and the more recent the changes are- the more dislike they get. I bet most of the original haters for Miles were older fans than kids on the playground.
    is it possible to replace iconic characters with legacy characters like what happened with Barry, Hal and Oliver for a while?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Oh God, it's almost like you're trying to bait me (it worked).

The complaints you see about Miles and Carol are probably from people you shouldn't be listening to. Miles is a success. He's a star of 2 Playstation games, the 2 most successful animated movies Marvel ever managed to pull off and had been in constant publication since his creation. Carol is both a success and, honestly, not that much of a legacy character. People will get mad about Mar-vell as if he died yesterday. Not the case, that vacancy was there for a looooong time.

And lots of people prefer Wally to Barry just cause they find Wally cooler. It is what it is.
    I mean the Captain Marvel name was still used by Monica Rambeau, Quasar and Genis-Vell

Incredible Member

Nah, that's really not the case. This while thread is stealthy based on a false premise: that if legacy characters are also minorities they'll fail. But that's just not true. All the examples given are actually successes on different degrees. Now, it's Wally the ultimate, posterboy, textbook example of legacy taking over in the big two? Yes. That's just because he was the first one to "work".

But he was not the last, and if you look at this honestly, there's no real correlation between whiteness/maleness and success on this case. It's just that some work and some don't.
    no it is because i saw a short of Nerdrotic saying while Miles is A Spider-Man Peter Parker will always be THE Spider-Man but i didn’t get the negativity when other characters had been replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    is it possible to replace iconic characters with legacy characters like what happened with Barry, Hal and Oliver for a while?
    Ehh who knows? Maybe Miles might take over Spider-Man in Marvel.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-05-2024 at 08:55 PM.

Well, the racists and bigots are also very loud, reasonably organized and know how to work the youtube algorithm in their favor. So some folks end up with the impression that "everybody is complaining about this woke BS", when, in reality, there are like 50 dudes with a camera each.

Last legacy minority character to "kind of" fail was Jaime Reyes (but he got around), and I suspect that's has way less to do with the fact he was latino and a lot more to do with Ted getting shot by Max.
    It is not like Ted is, or was at any point, moving units. He is essentially a C-lister so I think that Jaime having 3 ongoings with around 80 issues in total is a solid track record. And that was before the movie.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    It is not like Ted is, or was at any point, moving units. He is essentially a C-lister so I think that Jaime having 3 ongoings with around 80 issues in total is a solid track record. And that was before the movie.
    Of the three, Dan is the most successful comics-wise, but Jaime will beat him eventually and the film and animated events make him the most well known by far. Ted is at the bottom of the heap.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

At what point exactly did legacy characters go from being "Since there is no more Captain Whoever, I'm going to take that name and try to live up to it," to "There's Captain Whoever over there. I'm the OTHER Captain Whoever"?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    I see a lot of people complain about Miles Morales, Carol Danvers and Sam Wilson being made as the permanent replacements for iconic characters but why do they ignore when Wally replaced Barry for 20 years with no sign of return until Final Crisis? In fact a lot of people wished Barry’s death stayed permanent because they feel it made his death more impactful on CoIE (personally I think even if resurrections happen, deaths can and still are impactful). What is the difference? Also should superheroes ever be permanently replaced or killed? Personally I am against it but what do you think?
    To answer that last part- only if the sales are abysmal. If bringing back the original will increase sales, bring them back. At least, I figure that would be the company's thinking.
    Of course, I'd hope for a good, interesting, exciting story out of any decision.
    Please help Eisner Award winning comic book writer Paul Jenkins and his family:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/please-he...7vlOjaJCkRwCIs

https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    At what point exactly did legacy characters go from being "Since there is no more Captain Whoever, I'm going to take that name and try to live up to it," to "There's Captain Whoever over there. I'm the OTHER Captain Whoever"?
    Probably after miles with one of the other Champions.

Astonishing Member

Guy Gardner and John Stewart. Though people always try to pass off the Green Lanterns as somehow different or outside the concept of legacy.

The real thing that kicked this off is the idea that you could have more than one person around with the same name at the same time without it being a big deal. So Jay and Wally and GL Rebirth era stuff where there's multiple people around with the same name made opened up the doors to that concept, and from there some later legacy characters piggybacked off that status quo to take up names of already existing characters. Kind like how Miles took over for Peter, but then got merged into a universe with Peter. Same happened with Jay and Wally, Hal et al and Alan.
    Last edited by Dred; 01-06-2024 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    You're absolutely right here. However, people still are very attached to the JLI era (and back the they were even more, of course). I don't know if you were around back then, but it was a shitshow.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

I don't think there's an exact point. The obvious answer would be "post Crisis", but the whole JSA/JLA situation was not really that well defined back then, and having 2 GLs, Flashes or Atoms was more something they had to deal with and less something they planned. Of course, before then there were already the Lanterns, but GL franchise created a sort of loophole to work under its own rules.

When the Jla/Jsa thing finally coalesced, the main 2 legacies, Flash and GL, we're Kyle and Wally so the theme became "multigenerational mantle" instead of "direct legacies coexisting". Of were gonna look at how it is today, I think the first instance of it would be Ryan Choi and Ray Palmer in Final Crisis, but that's debatable, and want really followed uppon.

Now, if we talk about the popularization of this model, than it's Miles Morales. No doubt about it.