Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Wally West is my favorite character and I will say this...I am kind of glad they went with Barry in TV and movies because if I got a Zack Snyder/Ezra Miller type Wally West I might have to jump out a window. And , while I love the first two seasons of the Flash TV show, if Wally was the lead of that garbage that was seasons 3 to 9 I would NOT be happy either. Wally may have gotten Heroes in Crisis but thats much less damaging to me then the whole world thinking Ezra Miller is Barry Allen. Yuck.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I don't hate legacy characters. However, there tends to be a belief by creative that Character A has become stale and ran his/her course, so they fall on "legacy" character to replace him/her.

This was pretty much the whole point of 5G, if rumors are to be believed. Because you know, Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne are the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    By the Wonder fans?

I remember when Yara came out they were also trying to push Nubia so I remember that side being more lenient compared to like the Cassie die hards.
    The biggest complaint I've seen about Yara is that they came up with a neat origin story.... then mailed her to Themiscyra and forgot what her origin story was.

Astonishing Member

The biggest complaint about Yara is her girl from Utah origin was met with incredible disinterest and disappointment. To which Jones even said was a symptom of them trying to get the character in a comic so fast after her design was so popular and they couldn't find/wouldn't put the effort into finding someone who knew anything about south american culture or history to work on the character. So she just turned out entirely generic and not in the spirit of which she was presented. Her origin was her biggest problem, because everyone fell in love with her appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    The biggest complaint about Yara is her girl from Utah origin was met with incredible disinterest and disappointment. To which Jones even said was a symptom of them trying to get the character in a comic so fast after her design was so popular and they couldn't find/wouldn't put the effort into finding someone who knew anything about south american culture or history to work on the character. So she just turned out entirely generic and not in the spirit of which she was presented. Her origin was her biggest problem, because everyone fell in love with her appearance.
    Sounds like a bit of a cop-out. The response from people in South America wasn't because of her "design" or her "apperance," it was more about her existence. And if DC couldn't find someone knowledgeable, then as a writer you could do your homework and research the place and the culture. It's the internet - contact any Brazilian you can and ask about their culture. Contact a historian, any number of universities -- someone there would understand the importance of such a high-profile character, and assist in getting the details correct. You wouldn't have to do a doctorial thesis on the region, but at least give her a proper origin from that culture and do what you can to get her voice somewhat correct. I think people still would have been excited by what they got right and could overlook anything they got wrong. Then you just bide time and continue researching since there's a month between each book. (I mean, did Jones know a ton about Utah and the culture there? Maybe she did, and that's why she used it, but it has its own thing going on as well)

Joelle Jones came to Brazil to do some research, but indigenous culture is something that even brazilians don't have much knowledge about.
    It shows in her book that she learn a lot of things from our folklore, but the indigenous rep was lacking more depth.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

That sounds like a lot of work for a book that has to come out monthly or even twice a month. No wonder creators just make stuff up.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    The biggest complaint I've seen about Yara is that they came up with a neat origin story.... then mailed her to Themiscyra and forgot what her origin story was.
    ive seen complaints about every aspect of Yara: how she's drawn, the possible sexualization, the costume, her personality, Donna and Cass rads complaining every instance where she appeared because they demanded Donna/Cass to appear instead, other Diana rad fans, her "Im not a wonder girl" scenes, the constant delays on the book, the cultural references, some very racist insults, even a comparison with Dora la Exploradora?, constant complains criticizing Joelle Jones writing/art like she was the worst artist of DC or something like that, Nubia fans trying to push her out...

Literally every time I entered the wonderforums and wonderreddit if you didn't read yara comics and were to be based on the opinions of some fellas, you could get tricked into thinking that Yara Flor was the worst thing to happen to the wonderfranchise.

But now Tom King is writing her, so, HOW CAN HE DARE TO NOT WRITE A CHARACTER THREE YEARS OLD IN THE WAY I WANT HER TO BE WRITTEN, GODDAMNIT TOM KING YOU'RE THE WORST WRITER TO EVER LIVE, LEAVE ME WRITE HER INSTEAD AND I'LL JUST KILL OFF YARA, NUBIA, CASS, AND DIANA TO MAKE DONNA TROY THE PROTAGONIST INSTEAD AND HAVE A STORY ABOUT HER ORIGINS AND MAKE STARFIRE THE CO-ST---

I'm sory for taking on poor Donna Troy fans this time, I know you guys have had it rough. Im putting this as a simple example of how I find it hilarously funny to see the fandom now trying to go hard on Trinity because aparently there's a limit on the characters a DC property should have, not like Flash that has now like who knows how many dudes called Flash...

P.D.: Btw, remember when people tried to keep being fans of Philippus and Nubia at the same time and some fine fellas came saying "Why? Philippus/Nubia is redudant now", like aparently a casting can only have a certain limit of black women, and that limit is 1 at best?
    Last edited by Garrac; 01-17-2024 at 05:55 AM.

Yeah, reactions to Yara were crazy. It didn't feel like any other fandom had such a meltdown over 5G replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Yeah, reactions to Yara were crazy. It didn't feel like any other fandom had such a meltdown over 5G replacement.
    It's because she was the only one getting real traction. Jon and Jace never really got the hype Yara had.

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Sounds like a bit of a cop-out. The response from people in South America wasn't because of her "design" or her "apperance," it was more about her existence. And if DC couldn't find someone knowledgeable, then as a writer you could do your homework and research the place and the culture. It's the internet - contact any Brazilian you can and ask about their culture. Contact a historian, any number of universities -- someone there would understand the importance of such a high-profile character, and assist in getting the details correct. You wouldn't have to do a doctorial thesis on the region, but at least give her a proper origin from that culture and do what you can to get her voice somewhat correct. I think people still would have been excited by what they got right and could overlook anything they got wrong. Then you just bide time and continue researching since there's a month between each book. (I mean, did Jones know a ton about Utah and the culture there? Maybe she did, and that's why she used it, but it has its own thing going on as well)
    You're somewhat right and somewhat wrong. As a brazilian who followed all that stuff quite closely at the time, let me give my two cents:

Back when Yara first appeared in Future's State, reactions were pretty positive. She looked like someone of indigenous descent, she had an attitude quite common in Brazil, she seemed to hit all the right notes. The only criticism that was widespread was her Pegasus being named "Jerry". (Any Brazilian worth their weight would obviously name him "Pé-de-Pano", "Pois é" ou "Ventania"). But that was minor.

But then an indigenous person, relatively famous activist (who probably never read a DC comic in her life), posted her review... and things started to go sour. She had, IMHO, one valid criticism: Caipora was portrayed as a generic trickster god. But Caipora is still a traditional religious entity/figure to many people around here, including not only natives (we brazilians have a religious sincretism habit that I won't bother explaining, because it's too much, and I'm not sure I'd be able to do it justice). Everything else on her critique was really off - she was mad about concessions made due to the fact that Yara existed in the larger DCU. However, that particular review gave unofficial permission to all the keyboard warriors out there to nitpick Yara into oblivion.

Anything that any particular brazilian didn't do, like say, have a cachaça at 9am (which I'd do, btw) became a "wrong and stereotypical portraying of brazilians". Any adaptation of traditional entities to fit the DCU mold became religious disrespect. And on and on and on. People really tore this character apart for some likes on social media. Most of these people were not worth listening to, but it got to a point where the complaints got to Joelle Jones, and then it got worse.

(Keep in mind, all I'm describing is before Wonder Girl #1 even hit the stands)

Joelle started trying to justify herself, but those people already had blood in their eyes. She says something along the lines of "It's hard to research because most of it is in portuguese" and gets bombarded with stuff like "OH, SO THE GRINGA THINKS THE WORLD REVOLVES AROUND GRINGOS, HOW ENTITLED!!11!", she mentions that she took some high fashion/Beyonce inspirations for the design, and people start screaming "WHY NOT ANITTA" or some stuff like that. She mentions the idea came from Dan Didio when she was at CCXP here, seeing the crowd of people there (I was there that year, it was indeed a crowd), and people go "oh, so it was commercial anyway, not sincere"... There was no winning.

Now, I don't know if in response to the criticisms or just to bid time and give a POV window to americans, Wonder Girl #1 hit stands and we discover that Yara Flor grew up in Boise, Idaho. That was disappointing even to those defending the character (such as myself). And then comes things like "Iguazu" instead of "Iguaçu", the "Esquecida", that should have been "Esquecidas" (plural) in some instances, and so on. That pushes all the wrong buttons with all of us.

Later on, The Esquecida, Yara's enemies from our folklore, all that stuff would pretty much work great... But it was too late. It's impossible to go against Brazil in the internet, and DC jumped the gun on this one.

It's a shame too, cause I love Yara, I love the bit of Amazon mythos built around her, but the toxicity of those first few months did some real damage. And Tom King sprinkling portuguese words mid-english sentence like he did yesterday doesn't help. We don't really do that and it makes us feel like americans look at us as another flavor of Mexico. We're not even hispanic.

Hopefully, though, when the inevitable next soft-reboot comes along, all that can be fixed and maybe Yara can get a second push.
    Last edited by BohemiaDrinker; 01-17-2024 at 06:27 AM.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    It's because she was the only one getting real traction. Jon and Jace never really got the hype Yara had.

The only traction Yara had over Jace that was she was sexy and they announced they were giving her a CW show for some damned reason.

I don't even remember who the other 5G replacements were outside the JL ones.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The only traction Yara had over Jace that was she was sexy and they announced they were giving her a CW show for some damned reason.

I don't even remember who the other 5G replacements were outside the JL ones.
    Her book was outselling Jace's and Jon's, going by Icv2.
    Jace had the Batman brand and a great writer and still didn't sell well.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Her book was outselling Jace's and Jon's, going by Icv2.
    Jace had the Batman brand and a great writer and still didn't sell well.
    And Diana's a few months, if I''m not mistaken.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    You're somewhat right and somewhat wrong. As a brazilian who followed all that stuff quite closely at the time, let me give my two cents:...
    Thanks for going into the reaction in depth. Yeah, it sounds like a sincere attempt was made by Jones, but DC now likely thinks it's more trouble than it's worth to even try. Perhaps until a Brazilian writer comes to them with a great pitch.