Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    Blue Beetle is a mexican-american hero. Somebody from Argentina or Brazil would not necessarily feel represented by him.
    There's that, too. My larger point was that just putting people of certain backgrounds on screen isn't good enough to get fans in the seat. You gotta do more to make it resonate with non-US audiences, e.g. Coco with Mexican audiences.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    That's every Marvel book. Thor, Hulk, Daredevil, The Avengers and Captain America have all had their umpteenth relaunches within the past few months.
    Yeah, just wanted to point this out.

Every single Marvel title is just on double digit numbering because all their titles keep getting relaunched.

Captain Marvel's last run was actually one of Marvel's longer running ongoing. It got to around 50 issues,.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-08-2024 at 07:01 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrake View Post
    However if we use just use character popularity in comics as the only metric, Flash should trounce Aquaman. Or the later should not have the best BO for DC. Although one must say that comic readership might not be measure of popularity for these characters with non comic audiences. Probably we comic readers live in a world of ours.
    One thing comic book fans FORGET is the comic book store is NOT the end all place for comics. We take a lot of stuff for granted.

When we ALL got to stores-have anyone really LOOKED at what is on the shelves? Seriously looked? WHO is being used???

Lets got back 20-40 years ago-the only POC super hero you might have seen outside of a comic was who?? FALCON.
    How many toy lines did we see him in? I think he was in almost every Marvel toy line at some point. He's almost been in most Marvel cartoons.
    I know he was included in some non-comic ads and posters at school.
    He finds a way to be in merchandise.

Remove cartoon and movie Justice League from the equation. Justice League is Hal, Bruce, Barry and Clark. Because I have seen too much merchandise ONLY showcase them. Even the New 52 version on some products.

Vibe (yeah HIM), Jonah Hex and Animal Man were included in DC's valentines that you could buy from the store.

Remember DC and Marvel sends "free" stuff to schools. If I go by what I have seen-I could get why someone would ask WHO is Guy, Kyle, Hal, Jo and Simon. Only Green Lantern on those posters is John and recently Jessica. DC gets some mileage out of that cartoon Justice League. Because that version is one they send to us even in their updated costumes.

And when stuff like Black History Month happens guess who are on those posters? It will be John Stewart, Aqualad and Steel on there before Bumblebee or her husband.

And that is NOT counting fan made stuff.
    I saw a kid with a Static Shock denim jacket.
    I have seen custom Static Nikes and Reebok.
    Go on Amazon and Etsy and see how much custom stuff has been made.

Was BB marketed well in Latin America? I'm curious.
    Blue Beetle made$ 8 million in Brazil.
    $6 Million in Mexico
    $988,366 in Columbia

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    One thing comic book fans FORGET is the comic book store is NOT the end all place for comics. We take a lot of stuff for granted.

When we ALL got to stores-have anyone really LOOKED at what is on the shelves? Seriously looked? WHO is being used???

Lets got back 20-40 years ago-the only POC super hero you might have seen outside of a comic was who?? FALCON.
    How many toy lines did we see him in? I think he was in almost every Marvel toy line at some point. He's almost been in most Marvel cartoons.
    I know he was included in some non-comic ads and posters at school.
    He finds a way to be in merchandise.

Remove cartoon and movie Justice League from the equation. Justice League is Hal, Bruce, Barry and Clark. Because I have seen too much merchandise ONLY showcase them. Even the New 52 version on some products.

Vibe (yeah HIM), Jonah Hex and Animal Man were included in DC's valentines that you could buy from the store.

Remember DC and Marvel sends "free" stuff to schools. If I go by what I have seen-I could get why someone would ask WHO is Guy, Kyle, Hal, Jo and Simon. Only Green Lantern on those posters is John and recently Jessica. DC gets some mileage out of that cartoon Justice League. Because that version is one they send to us even in their updated costumes.

And when stuff like Black History Month happens guess who are on those posters? It will be John Stewart, Aqualad and Steel on there before Bumblebee or her husband.

And that is NOT counting fan made stuff.
    I saw a kid with a Static Shock denim jacket.
    I have seen custom Static Nikes and Reebok.
    Go on Amazon and Etsy and see how much custom stuff has been made.

$6 Million in Mexico
    $988,366 in Columbia
    By comparison, The Marvels made $6 million in Mexico and $5 million in Brazil.

I know a lot of Brazilian fans were excited that Bruna Marquezine was in the flick. Maybe that helped bring in more ticket sales there.

But it’s already been mentioned that Jaime being a Mexican-American doesn’t mean he’d instantly appeal to all Latinos, and many people from Mexico may not think a Mexican-American character is representative of them. Latinos are definitely not a monolith.
    Last edited by Robotman; 01-08-2024 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    $6 Million in Mexico
    $988,366 in Columbia
    The Numbers have Brazil at 2M while Boxofficemojo at 8M, both differ in overseas total by 2 million. Even if the 8 million is correct for Brazil, makes it more confusing, since Brazilians who are portuguese speaking seem to have appreciated the American Mexican character more than Mexicans(spanish speaking) themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    But it’s already been mentioned that Jaime being a Mexican-American doesn’t mean he’d instantly appeal to all Latinos, and many people from Mexico may not think a Mexican-American character is representative of them. Latinos are definitely not a monolith.
    I personally talked with some Mexicans who weren't happy how they portrait Mexicans in the movie. Not that in itself is indicative of the general Mexican feeling towards the movie. It could be a mixture of things, from the character not being popular, to others not seeing him as representing them.

Although I loved the main guys like everyone else growing up I came in the game with a love of legacy/"derivative" characters so I never had that hate or understood it much but from my understanding a lot of fans have a fear the original is going to fade away or be forgetten about. Also some people dont handle change very well only want to read certain characters.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Although I loved the main guys like everyone else growing up I came in the game with a love of legacy/"derivative" characters so I never had that hate or understood it much but from my understanding a lot of fans have a fear the original is going to fade away or be forgetten about. Also some people dont handle change very well only want to read certain characters.
    most human beings don't like change, they like to stay in their comfort zone. It all comes down to one's preferences. I won't even say it is hate, it is like when some fans blame Batfans for buying only Bat related stuff and not that of other characters. If they like Batman you cannot expect them to buy what you like, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    Blue Beetle is a mexican-american hero. Somebody from Argentina or Brazil would not necessarily feel represented by him.
    When I started reading comics I didn't understand representation argument at all. I'm from Eastern Europe and despite all major characters being of same skin color they (and their supporting casts) act completely different than people around here do. So I figure many hispanics feels the same about Jamie and other similar characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrake View Post
    The Numbers have Brazil at 2M while Boxofficemojo at 8M, both differ in overseas total by 2 million. Even if the 8 million is correct for Brazil, makes it more confusing, since Brazilians who are portuguese speaking seem to have appreciated the American Mexican character more than Mexicans(spanish speaking) themselves.
    Jenny Kord actress, Bruna Marquezine, is brazilian and the character is half brazilian.
    We have seen her acting since she was a child.

Also, we grew up with a lot of Mexican culture. I seen movie reaction from americans on YT and they don't get any of the references that we get like El Chapulín Colorado and Maria De Lo Barrio.
    Last edited by Drako; 01-09-2024 at 05:31 AM.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Spectacular Member

Because it's fun

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I don't think that is it. I think so many "Legacy" characters are just introduced wrong. Look at Jim Rhodes when he took over as Iron Man. Rhodey had been apart of the book for many years and people knew and liked him. Compare that to Riri Williams who just showed up and a few issues latter is as smart as Tony and has her own hero ID. He had earned his place in Iron Man lore while she was just shoved in. People don't get the time to actually care about these characters before they take up a mantle.

Mighty Member

Problems:

1. New Characters (nowadays) get to powerful just from beginning, while other generations had to grow into their roles:
    Conner Kent vs Jonathan Samuel Kent

2. Characters who achieved a lot in their lifes get pushed aside for new characters who are only pushed
    Conner was the only guy who was able to fight against Superboy Prime WITHOUT using red sun etc. and sacrificied his life, but now he is treated like a complete rookie

3. DC didnt manage to set the ages of characters and their Codenames right:
    Flash Family is a good example:
    Wallace West is still around and has the most prestigious Codename (Kid Flash), while Bart had to go back to Impulse and Irey had to get a new Code-name and Costume

Wallace West should have got a new Codename (AND another design) to make him stand out more than just being a Kid Flash
    Both (Irey West and Bart Allen) would have been better choices for Kid Flash than Wallace

Irey is a cool character, BUT I HATE the boring design of her current costume

Its also annoying that Jonathan/Conner, Bart/Wallace... are seemingly similar in age, it would be better if Conner/Bart/Cassie would be CLEARLY OLDER than Jonathan/Wallace/Yara.....

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Problems:

1. New Characters (nowadays) get to powerful just from beginning, while other generations had to grow into their roles:

2. Characters who achieved a lot in their lifes get pushed aside for new characters who are only pushed
    Conner was the only guy who was able to fight against Superboy Prime WITHOUT using red sun etc. and sacrificied his life, but now he is treated like a complete rookie

Wallace West is still around and has the most prestigious Codename (Kid Flash), while Bart had to go back to Impulse and Irey had to get a new Code-name and Costume

Wallace West should have got a new Codename (AND another design) to make him stand out more than just being a Kid Flash
    Both (Irey West and Bart Allen) would have been better choices for Kid Flash than Wallace

Its also annoying that Jonathan/Conner, Bart/Wallace... are seemingly similar in age, it would be better if Conner/Bart/Cassie would be CLEARLY OLDER than Jonathan/Wallace/Yara.....
    Yeah, another problem is that they keep retreading what the previous one did. I get having the stuff not have a rigidly fixed timeline, but.... like you said, they wanna introduce a new teen sidekick... years after the last oen, and have the new one be the same age as the old one... who hasn't aged... and then just does the same thing.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Problems:

Very true.

Look at Cassie Sandsmark beginnings as Wonder Girl vs. Yara Flor.

One was built up, went through training on screen while the other one already came out of the gate practically fully developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    But wasn’t Wally written pretty poorly in that series basically being a stereotypical 1950s anti-communist right winger? Wally after he became the Flash acted nothing like NTT Wally
    He was different things at different times.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.