Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Thanks for going into the reaction in depth. Yeah, it sounds like a sincere attempt was made by Jones, but DC now likely thinks it's more trouble than it's worth to even try. Perhaps until a Brazilian writer comes to them with a great pitch.
    My personal belief is that, as with Ace West, best thing is to use them a lot and develop them now, as is (since continuity is as fixed as a river ATM) and when they're big enough, re-do their origins..
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    ive seen complaints about every aspect of Yara: how she's drawn, the possible sexualization, the costume, her personality, Donna and Cass rads complaining every instance where she appeared because they demanded Donna/Cass to appear instead, other Diana rad fans, her "Im not a wonder girl" scenes, the constant delays on the book, the cultural references, some very racist insults, even a comparison with Dora la Exploradora?, constant complains criticizing Joelle Jones writing/art like she was the worst artist of DC or something like that, Nubia fans trying to push her out...
    Well, Yara had several flaws. As BohemiaDrinker said they mangled her origin in a way few characters have had their history get mangled that quickly.

Why make her a native when you're not actually able to write it? It'd have been better if she was someone descended from X and lives in town. Like the basic demi-god idea is easy low hanging fruit. but making up a tribe of Brazilian Amazons that follow Native mythology and not the actual Amazon culture(despite having her mother be one of them) seen in the rest of DC... That was a mega-hard sell. Other than a neat character design her introduction... kind sucked. Especially since she's now just doing the same stuff as the previous Wonder Girls. Like, why write a Brazilian if she literally grows up in Idaho!!?!?!?? Marvel did it better with Selene Gallio and Nova Roma. THAT at least has an explanation for why it exists while it's impossible in real life. Mostly just Selene is THAT powerful, but in Yara's case we have demi-gods running around and... doing.... what?

Also I personally thought they should have made her hydrokinetic. Her powers are boring! They keep doing this thing where water like... sticks to her, but... while a superhuman attribute... she never uses it for anything.
    Literally every time I entered the wonderforums and wonderreddit if you didn't read yara comics and were to be based on the opinions of some fellas, you could get tricked into thinking that Yara Flor was the worst thing to happen to the wonderfranchise.

But now Tom King is writing her, so, HOW CAN HE DARE TO NOT WRITE A CHARACTER THREE YEARS OLD IN THE WAY I WANT HER TO BE WRITTEN, GODDAMNIT TOM KING YOU'RE THE WORST WRITER TO EVER LIVE, LEAVE ME WRITE HER INSTEAD AND I'LL JUST KILL OFF YARA, NUBIA, CASS, AND DIANA TO MAKE DONNA TROY THE PROTAGONIST INSTEAD AND HAVE A STORY ABOUT HER ORIGINS AND MAKE STARFIRE THE CO-ST---
    um.... pretty sure that's only you saying that.
    I'm sory for taking on poor Donna Troy fans this time, I know you guys have had it rough. Im putting this as a simple example of how I find it hilarously funny to see the fandom now trying to go hard on Trinity because aparently there's a limit on the characters a DC property should have, not like Flash that has now like who knows how many dudes called Flash...
    Trinity's introduction was ---- TERRIBLE.... She literally brags about how "awesome" she is for like 5 minutes.... while the readers have no idea who she even is.
    P.D.: Btw, remember when people tried to keep being fans of Philippus and Nubia at the same time and some fine fellas came saying "Why? Philippus/Nubia is redundant now", like apparently a casting can only have a certain limit of black women, and that limit is 1 at best?
    Yeah, actually. It was about the limits on how many actual main cast will be in the majority of books.

It might shock you but there actually are Brazilians (and people from other countries) who grew up in one of the USA's states.
    Last edited by HsssH; 01-17-2024 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    ive seen complaints about every aspect of Yara: how she's drawn, the possible sexualization, the costume, her personality, Donna and Cass rads complaining every instance where she appeared because they demanded Donna/Cass to appear instead, other Diana rad fans, her "Im not a wonder girl" scenes, the constant delays on the book, the cultural references, some very racist insults, even a comparison with Dora la Exploradora?, constant complains criticizing Joelle Jones writing/art like she was the worst artist of DC or something like that, Nubia fans trying to push her out...

Literally every time I entered the wonderforums and wonderreddit if you didn't read yara comics and were to be based on the opinions of some fellas, you could get tricked into thinking that Yara Flor was the worst thing to happen to the wonderfranchise.

But now Tom King is writing her, so, HOW CAN HE DARE TO NOT WRITE A CHARACTER THREE YEARS OLD IN THE WAY I WANT HER TO BE WRITTEN, GODDAMNIT TOM KING YOU'RE THE WORST WRITER TO EVER LIVE, LEAVE ME WRITE HER INSTEAD AND I'LL JUST KILL OFF YARA, NUBIA, CASS, AND DIANA TO MAKE DONNA TROY THE PROTAGONIST INSTEAD AND HAVE A STORY ABOUT HER ORIGINS AND MAKE STARFIRE THE CO-ST---

I'm sory for taking on poor Donna Troy fans this time, I know you guys have had it rough. Im putting this as a simple example of how I find it hilarously funny to see the fandom now trying to go hard on Trinity because aparently there's a limit on the characters a DC property should have, not like Flash that has now like who knows how many dudes called Flash...

P.D.: Btw, remember when people tried to keep being fans of Philippus and Nubia at the same time and some fine fellas came saying "Why? Philippus/Nubia is redudant now", like aparently a casting can only have a certain limit of black women, and that limit is 1 at best?
    You're under the impression no one complains about that?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    It might shock you but there actually are Brazilians (and people from other countries) who grew up in one of the USA's states.
    That's not the issue.

"No, no, you're wrong, no one was nitpicky about Yara Flor!" *starts being nitpicky about Yara Flor*

Trinity's introduction was ---- TERRIBLE....
    BoXUpyeCQAA2WhY.jpg

um.... pretty sure that's only you saying that.
    Bro, u know how many angry people at CBR, twitter reddit and etc I saw madly angry at Tom King for 5 days after the preview was shown? The amount of Yara fans that suddenly popped out of nowhere just because Tom King entered the ring...
    Yeah, actually. It was about the limits on how many actual main cast will be in the majority of books.
    And according to the Bible only one black woman is allowed in the cast at the best, and none more!!!

You're under the impression no one complains about that?
    Fair enough, but I find those complaints odd as well, I dunno, i don't think having many characters called the same way (which in the wonderfamily its just yara and cass called Wonder girl, just two characters sharing nicknames) it's such a big deal. I find it a very nitpicky detail to take **** on legacy characters.
    Last edited by Garrac; 01-18-2024 at 02:02 AM.

I want to add one thing about "accuracy" of the character's background. I'm a big fan of mythology and I'd like if more of it was used in Wonder Woman comics, but... it never was very close to the source material and the usage of it in WW's comics can be, in best case scenario, described as a surface level. And nobody really had any problems with it, in fact there are many people in WW's fandom who want less mythological elements in her stories and more modern or science fiction based stories. Very small minority wants "authentic" Greek mythology in WW's comics. But for some reason same fandom suddenly demanded Yara to be as accurate to Brazilian folklore as possible.

And same really for the language, superhero comics have long history of badly using other languages. In some cases even inventing fake ones like Pakistanian language. So it is not like Jones did any worse here than wide majority of superhero writers, but reading some of the comments it looked like she was a hack writer who doesn't do any research.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

And same really for the language, superhero comics have long history of badly using other languages.
    We Brazilians are very bitchy about this, though. Specially when Spanish is put into mix.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

And same really for the language, superhero comics have long history of badly using other languages. In some cases even inventing fake ones like Pakistanian language. So it is not like Jones did any worse here than wide majority of superhero writers, but reading some of the comments it looked like she was a hack writer who doesn't do any research.
    It was pretty clear that she did a good amount of research, if people actually read the book. Hell, i still remember being surprised when she included the "Cuca Lullaby" into her book, which is a pretty famous lullaby here. And it was very fitting since she was using Cuca, a mith of out folklore that inspired the lullaby, in her book.

The lullaby was wrong in the book, tho.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    We Brazilians are very bitchy about this, though. Specially when Spanish is put into mix.
    It's also a new age. Languages, translations, and people of different backgrounds in the industry are way more accessible. Any time I see a spelling mistake in Spanish, for example, it makes me feel like the writer didn't even bother to have someone double-check it for five seconds.

I liked Yara as a character but felt she was underdeveloped. Unlike Jace and Jon her solo lasted about 8 issues and all 3 solos had pacing issues.

I don't mind her getting a followup. I'd just scrap the Wonder Girl name and give her a new title that's Yara-centric. Another option is Fury as Yara felt impulsive and hot temprred.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

The only issue I really have is Supes and Bats being permanently 30 while they have decades worth of protégé running around.

I know, my grandfather sponsored a Brazilian family moving to the States. Point is.... It's rather un-interesting as a story telling device. Especially when you have her leave it behind... It just reeks of having the backstory changed mid-story and not actually using her own back story.
    Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    The only issue I really have is Supes and Bats being permanently 30 while they have decades worth of protégé running around.
    Yeah, they're almost ready to be grandfathers.... they should be more like 40s.... or 50s.
    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I liked Yara as a character but felt she was underdeveloped. Unlike Jace and Jon her solo lasted about 8 issues and all 3 solos had pacing issues.

I don't mind her getting a followup. I'd just scrap the Wonder Girl name and give her a new title that's Yara-centric. Another option is Fury as Yara felt impulsive and hot temprred.
    Yeah, it was too rushed to come out right, and kinda feels like they also tried changing direction midway.
    Last edited by marhawkman; 01-19-2024 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post

Yeah, they're almost ready to be grandfathers.... they should be more like 40s.... or 50s.
    Never understood this obsession to age characters, this is fantasy, applying Real life to them is somehow forced. One issue many people have in finding comics so difficult to get in, is continuity. I am in favour of continuity but not a rigid one, just basics.
    Clark has all those powers but for some reason he must age like any normal being when he is not a normal being. Just because the Protégé is running. The protege will never take place of Clark. He is just a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrake View Post
    Never understood this obsession to age characters, this is fantasy, applying Real life to them is somehow forced. One issue many people have in finding comics so difficult to get in, is continuity. I am in favour of continuity but not a rigid one, just basics.
    Clark has all those powers but for some reason he must age like any normal being when he is not a normal being. Just because the Protégé is running. The protege will never take place of Clark. He is just a copy.
    It may also be the issue that some fans can’t come to grips with the fact that they’re getting older and their favorite characters are not.