Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Not only that. It is also for different motives: certain characters are left assocaited to eras or creators than new editors want to left behind and others want to take advantage of new tendencies of the moment. Cleary a good editor could make the creators to reinvent a older character in a new role or name but that also is a risk because a lot of readers like the characters in the way they are, even if sometimes they struggle to gain the attention of bigger audiences.
    A good editor tells creators that if they want to make something new it must be original not making a copy. A copy will always be a copy.

Messing with characters who have been around for decades it is not a wise thing to do. You had readers invest in these characters for years and suddenly you expect that after all the time, money and passion they have given, that gets thrown under a bus? for a copy?
    If they want to create a new superhero by all means, problem is, can they come up with something that gains attention? something new or borrowing from someone's else idea? Or the brand Superman, Batman etc is a shortcut?

American comics have always been influenced by the current tendencies by or large, now American comics need to compete in the USA itself with manga. Which has overtaken superhero comics. Why manga has achieved this cannot be rounded up in a thread. Nor the usual conclusions given in the US why this happened, such as manga have a start and an end. There are mangas that have been ongoing for many years. Manga attract people across the globe irrespective of the cultural divides etc.

In Europe you will find more people who grew up with japanese anime and manga than Superheroes, not just europeans mind it, Go Nagai's creations for example have lots of fans even in the arab world. Although superhero movies have done extremely well and popular, they don't translate in any boost to comic sales.
    issue is can American comics do what manga did and appeal beyond the borders of the USA with older characters and legacy ones? My opinion is the decline is irreversible.

Generally editors recruit writers to franchises rather than the other ways around. For example James Gunn pitched Hit monkey not Guardians of the Galaxy. It turns out Fiege pitched Guardian to Gunn. So most legacies would be asked for by editors and that probably became a bigger practice once Miles took off.

Red Canary was probably made for that same reason but she's surprisingly barebones compared to Future State and Lazarus Planet additions. I'm surprised she didn't pop up in Thompson's Birds of Prey as Meridian's role could have been filled by her.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-13-2024 at 05:02 PM.

Why? I got a few reasons ...

... and god forbid if you like an original character without being attacked by keyboard warriors who probably didn't even buy a comic with the legacy character in it
    Last edited by Doctor Kent Nelson; 01-14-2024 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post

... and god forbid if you like an original character without being attacked by keyboard warriors who probably didn't even buy a comic with the legacy character in it
    Maybe if appreciation for original characters didn't often come with bashing their legacies.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Maybe if appreciation for original characters didn't often come with bashing their legacies.

If we're going to make assumptions, I'd say it happens half as often as people trashing legacy characters without having read an issue with them in it as well. (esp since a lot of the trashing happens before they're even introduced)

Doctor Fate is like GLC on his own.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Those are some good turns on Doctor Fate...so you're in favor of legacies then?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

Funny you didn’t put the Inza version here.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Funny you didn’t put the Inza version here.
    I liked Linda Strauss.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    If we're going to make assumptions, I'd say it happens half as often as people trashing legacy characters without having read an issue with them in it as well. (esp since a lot of the trashing happens before they're even introduced)
    Correct. It's mainly this.

Because another part of the issue is what was the original character doing before the legacy showed up and what books could you access with them in it. We have to understand not every can or do digital. Some are limited by what books they have access to and that includes libraries and stores.

There are only 3 collected editions of Dr. Fate. Jared Stevens run is not in trade. Khalid Kent Nassour is the only run I have and read. Because in all the back issue diving I do-I don't see the other runs.

How much stuff from Action Comics Weekly is in trade? Like Vixen and Phantom Lady's first appearances? John Stewart's wife being killed?

How much of Gerard Jones is in trade? I guess we all forgot about Rafael Sandoval (El Diablo) one of his creations. Green Lantern Mosaic is not in trade. Same with 1991 Wonder Man comic as we get ready to see a black Wonder Man tv series.

We got a lot of series like Marvel Comics Present, DC Presents, Batman Family, Superman Family and others that have never sniff trades.

When Jaime Reyes and Jason Rusch showed up how much stuff with Ted or Ronnie was in trades? Stuff for both came out AFTER their deaths.
    We never had an Aqualad series starring Garth. It was called Tempest. Jackson version has been showcased more than Garth as Aqualad.
    Stuff with Sam Alexander as Nova hit stores before Rich Rider's trades.

And then we have to look at Tv and movies and merchandise. Who are they showcasing more?
    Like Hawkgirl on Justice League.
    Hawk & Dove on Justice League Unlimited.
    Duke Thomas on Bat Wheels. Despite the fact his action figures are of We Are Robin, Death Metal and The Signal.
    The grey area known as Falcon. Seeing his Cap America version more and more.
    Kid Flash-Wallace version is out there but to this day I have YET to see his figures in a store. I know they exist. Wally version I do see.

Astonishing Member

Kid Flash Wally merch is Young Justice hold over, and maybe a bit of his scant Teen Titans/Teen Titans Go appearances. I don't think Wally will ever get adapted again because of Wallace's existence taking the future Kid Flash spots and DC's commitment to Barry as The Flash. Wallace is an incredibly new character and he's already shown up twice in lieu of Wally in spite of this, even if only as a minor background character to the far more important Barry (which is literally exactly what Didio wanted when he turned Wally into what eventually became Wallace, so congratulations to him on his successful murder of Wally in bigger markets).

Give it a little time, I'm sure Wally being supplanted by Wallace will be your best example for the opposite of what you're talking about.
    Last edited by Dred; 01-14-2024 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrake View Post
    A good editor tells creators that if they want to make something new it must be original not making a copy. A copy will always be a copy.
    When you copy from different sources you get something original. LOL.

Messing with characters who have been around for decades it is not a wise thing to do. You had readers invest in these characters for years and suddenly you expect that after all the time, money and passion they have given, that gets thrown under a bus? for a copy?
    If they want to create a new superhero by all means, problem is, can they come up with something that gains attention? something new or borrowing from someone's else idea? Or the brand Superman, Batman etc is a shortcut?
    Well, these days Goku seems like he d was more close to Superman than the Monkey King story he was suppossd to be inspired.

American comics have always been influenced by the current tendencies by or large, now American comics need to compete in the USA itself with manga. Which has overtaken superhero comics. Why manga has achieved this cannot be rounded up in a thread. Nor the usual conclusions given in the US why this happened, such as manga have a start and an end. There are mangas that have been ongoing for many years. Manga attract people across the globe irrespective of the cultural divides etc.
    Yes, narrativelly, the way how manga industrie works is different in the sense is more diverse thematically,adn have different target audiences. But also mind you, not every manga have the same impact in the different culture. And manga alos is capable of integrate tother concepts inside their narratives. What is My hero academy but their own interpretation of the superhero phenomenon?

In Europe you will find more people who grew up with japanese anime and manga than Superheroes, not just europeans mind it, Go Nagai's creations for example have lots of fans even in the arab world. Although superhero movies have done extremely well and popular, they don't translate in any boost to comic sales.
    issue is can American comics do what manga did and appeal beyond the borders of the USA with older characters and legacy ones? My opinion is the decline is irreversible.
    Europe have its own comics culture and traditions, to its own ebb and flow. And we must agree also than manga and its derivatives actually are oversaturing the market. I think maybe they are winning by its volumen of production and cheaper prices than for quality only.

If something I could agree we have seen the decline of the superhero figure, which could be something good. USA have this fixed idea than comics means superheroes when it can be more ample in content. Maybe instead DC (and Marvel) should stop tryng to appeal more audiences to like superhero comics and instead made books than like other audiences.
    I mean, that is the cause of these new legacy characters: new audiences. But that is in ths supposed true than the new audiences like superheroes, and maybe that is not the case.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    True.

A legacy character I don't understand is Red Canary. Like did DC want to put a new character that not only didn't have a story with the characters she's based on and is introduced when those characters are "dead". No way she was going to catch on like Mia and Emiko. Just bring those two back.
    Emiko never went away (she was in Teen Titans and then Stargirl when Green Arrow didn't have a book) and Mia is about to come back.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

I should’ve said status quo of the silver age. I don’t remember the exact quote or place but I remember Didio saying he didn’t like Wally because he was too complicated and from a perspective I can understand what he means. You don’t need to know about Jay to appreciate Barry but the opposite is true for Wally. The New 52 was mostly resetting the status quo to the Silver Age to make things more “accessible” to new readers