Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Flashback to Monica's early days as an AVENGER..sporting a new hairstyle...
    I always liked that texture of hairstyle on Monica, although I'm perfectly fine no matter what style she sports, from 'fro to braids and everything in between. I don't know this for a fact, but in my head canon, I think they were probably trying to then modernize her style to something more in line with the "Clair Huxtable" look, played by the amazing Phylicia Rashad. Of course, Ms. Rashad is biracial, if memory serves, hence the texture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I always liked that texture of hairstyle on Monica, although I'm perfectly fine no matter what style she sports, from 'fro to braids and everything in between. I don't know this for a fact, but in my head canon, I think they were probably trying to then modernize her style to something more in line with the "Clair Huxtable" look, played by the amazing Phylicia Rashad. Of course, Ms. Rashad is biracial, if memory serves, hence the texture.
    Vivian and Andrew Allen parents of Phylicia Rashad are/were (mom turned 100 in 2023!) both African-American , though some ethnic mix in their backgrounds wouldn't surprise me. Her hair looks like standard hot comb/relaxed to my eye.

No quarrel here with the gamut of hairstyles that Monica may explore with the one caveat being in instances where there's (hopefully) unintentional racial micro aggression as happened with MIGHTY AVENGERS where Monica/Spectrum modeled a straightened hairstyle (or, my head cannon, wig) while she was the smiling happy heroine (granted...Greg Land-face affliction)but when she took a turn to the aggressive/angry side of her characterization - she was suddenly, dramatically, styled with natural dreds/braids. The optics of drawing a parallel aren't good there.

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Rest in Peace: MARK "MD" BRIGHT
    Whenever it came time to publish a CAPTAIN MARVEL one-shot to keep the copyright fresh, Mark Bright stepped up to the plate with Monica.

Astonishing Member

I was a big fan of the Greg Land update -- mainly the costume, but the hair was probably an attempt to modernize her using Halley Berry as a reference. I liked her original afro, but have no problem if she changes her hairstyle frequently.

I am not a fan of her wearing a bulky coat or jacket. Really seems incongruent with her abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I was a big fan of the Greg Land update -- mainly the costume, but the hair was probably an attempt to modernize her using Halley Berry as a reference. I liked her original afro, but have no problem if she changes her hairstyle frequently.

I am not a fan of her wearing a bulky coat or jacket. Really seems incongruent with her abilities.
    The hair didn't bother me as my much as everyone else. As a black man I'm used to black women having different hairstyles
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    The hair didn't bother me as my much as everyone else. As a black man I'm used to black women having different hairstyles
    Same.

The bigger mystery was that Monica's complexion also inexplicably changed to a lighter tone. Oddly enough, characters that you would think would be lighter -- like Adam Brashear's biracial children, Roberto Da Costa (Sunspot), and others -- typically aren't. Marvel colorists make some interesting choices in that respect.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Digging the synergy btw MCU and MU Monica in this commission piece by Jess Kenster.
    I really do love this design. Especially the way they break up the white and black, very modern and space-y. And while I'm always partial to the locs, those free form curls are beauty-full.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

In one of the Thunderbolts series Monica borrowed Adam's vest, but I wonder what she would have looked like if they would have drawn her wearing his helmet?

Astonishing Member

Same.

The bigger mystery was that Monica's complexion also inexplicably changed to a lighter tone. Oddly enough, characters that you would think would be lighter -- like Adam Brashear's biracial children, Roberto Da Costa (Sunspot), and others -- typically aren't. Marvel colorists make some interesting choices in that respect.
    Some of that is probably related to using Photoshop. They may start with a darker base color, but then add highlights that make the skin color look less dark.

In one of the Thunderbolts series Monica borrowed Adam's vest, but I wonder what she would have looked like if they would have drawn her wearing his helmet?
    Kinda like her unused Anka (?) design, perhaps...

CORRECTION: Jordan Gibson design!

Last edited by Thirteen; 04-11-2024 at 05:32 PM.

I wonder if the most recent costume update will last, of if Monica is treading water in limbo with the lackluster performance the character's vehicle THE MARVELS...

Rose Besch variant for CAPTAIN MARVEL: DARK TEMPEST featuring Monica. I like the rainbow aura effect but wouldn't want her to go full HALO (DC)...

I think Monica's costume almost has to change more often than not. If you think about it, there's no reason why we or anyone else who doesn't have highly advanced senses should be able to see Monica at all when she's in one of her energy forms. She'd be invisible in most of them. So, it stands to reason that the only reason why Monica is seen is because somewhere in her psychological make-up she wants to be seen. I'm not saying she's an attention magnet, or anything like that, but Monica knows that it's important for someone like her to be seen in a positive light. Might as well keep her outfits fresh and trending at the top of the game.

Vivian and Andrew Allen parents of Phylicia Rashad are/were (mom turned 100 in 2023!) both African-American , though some ethnic mix in their backgrounds wouldn't surprise me. Her hair looks like standard hot comb/relaxed to my eye.

No quarrel here with the gamut of hairstyles that Monica may explore with the one caveat being in instances where there's (hopefully) unintentional racial micro aggression as happened with MIGHTY AVENGERS where Monica/Spectrum modeled a straightened hairstyle (or, my head cannon, wig) while she was the smiling happy heroine (granted...Greg Land-face affliction)but when she took a turn to the aggressive/angry side of her characterization - she was suddenly, dramatically, styled with natural dreds/braids. The optics of drawing a parallel aren't good there.

speaking of racial optics, was I the only one who noticed that, last time Marvel had a Planet of the Apes event, Monica's book and the Bishop mini being published at the time - I think these were the only books with Black lead characters at that moment - were also the only books that same month to receive a "Planet of the Apes" variant cover... that move really made me raise an eyebrow
    Last edited by Aarkus; 04-18-2024 at 08:35 PM.

I wonder if the most recent costume update will last, of if Monica is treading water in limbo with the lackluster performance the character's vehicle THE MARVELS...

Rose Besch variant for CAPTAIN MARVEL: DARK TEMPEST featuring Monica. I like the rainbow aura effect but wouldn't want her to go full HALO (DC)...
    this is super cool. I have to disagree on the Halo bit tho - I think, particularly for a character going by the name Spectrum, the "glow" depicting her powers should probably never be monochromatic. I'm not saying there should be a specific ability assigned to each colour as there is with Halo's powers... but showing only a single hue at a time with Monica, also seems counter-intuitive to me

Quote Originally Posted by Aarkus View Post
    this is super cool. I have to disagree on the Halo bit tho - I think, particularly for a character going by the name Spectrum, the "glow" depicting her powers should probably never be monochromatic. I'm not saying there should be a specific ability assigned to each colour as there is with Halo's powers... but showing only a single hue at a time with Monica, also seems counter-intuitive to me
    The aura has never been much of a thing with her original power set. The manifestation of whatever energy Monica was channeling was displayed with a full body conversion with her default being yellow, thus the moniker "Golden Avenger" (did I imagine that?).
    Perhaps a simplification and concession to the limited color tech of its time, but it was distinctive at least, with Monica not being just another flying energy caster.