Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Okay so its a decent start but I hope Jason gets more focus next issue.

Like I gel with the general concept, I find its good but I don't gel well with Jason being a supporting character in his own book.

I honestly just think that in this book Jason is the mentor and Dana is the hero
    Dana is the one who will get the protagonist development here

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

It's solicits time

RED HOOD: THE HILL #4
    Written by SHAWN MARTINBROUGH
    Art by TONY AKINS
    Cover by SANFORD GREENE
    Variant cover by STEVE BEACH
    $3.99 US | 32 pages | 4 of 6 | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 5/14/24
    Jason Todd has gone through a lot in his life, death, and life again. From his time as Robin, to his time as a villain, to his adventures as an outlaw—Red Hood thought he’d run crowbar-first into almost any scenario imaginable. But now, as monsters—both literal and figurative—stalk the streets of his home city, Red Hood finds himself up against the impossible. Does Jason stand a chance while things heat up in the Hill?

Note, this is not the main cover, that one is not in the solicits.
    Very strange that the main cover isn't shown, possible spoiler?

A mini starring Damian was also announced for Black Label, but it will have him team up with his brothers through different issues.

Today, DC revealed cover art and details on The Boy Wonder, the latest addition to its line of popular DC Black Label series.

In this five-issue series, visionary writer/artist Juni Ba makes his mark on the timeless story of Batman and Robin, synthesizing the characters’ complex history into an accessible and heartrending fairy tale. The debut issue also features colors by Chris O’Halloran, with letters by Aditya Bidikar.

The young prince Damian Wayne was raised to be the heir to the fearsome League of Assassins—to follow in the footsteps of his deadly mother, Talia, and the Demon’s Head himself, his grandfather Ra’s al Ghul.

But everything changed when his father, the Batman, reclaimed him and brought him Back to Gotham City. As Robin, young Damian suddenly discovered he was merely one of several princes, preceded in the role by his “brothers” Nightwing, Red Hood, and Red Robin… and Damian doesn’t care to be “merely” anything. But when his father is forced to leave the city on urgent business, and a rash of abductions is accompanied by whispers of a demon stalking Gotham’s dark alleys, Damian will find himself battling alongside his adoptive brothers—and in the process, learning what the mantle of Robin really means!

“There is in Robin, something quintessentially fun and superheroic” says Ba. “To me, he is the epitome of childlike adventure and wonder. Coming from the generation of fans that loved Batman: The Animated Series, I want The Boy Wonder to capture the fun of episodic adventure, and the compelling characters in an accessible book that anyone can enjoy regardless of prior history,” Ba continues. “And I chose to do this with my favorite little gremlin Damian, for who better to teach us about heroism and family, than someone who, deep down, fears he’s not a good enough person to deserve either? The story will be fun, but tug at your heartstrings, too.”
    Jason looks interesting to say the least

This is the kind of Robin book I've always wanted.

I wish the art were more traditional but yeah, the pitch sounds fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    I wish the art were more traditional but yeah, the pitch sounds fun.
    Same. Looks like what I would expect of a Lobo comic, or one of those weird, indie cartoons of the 80s and 90s that you have no idea who the film is made for, nor if its good or bad. The premise does sound fun, at least.

For The Hill; narrative wise, not a bad start all around. Jason among peers, but has a lot more experience, and not judged/in antagonistic relationship with them. My only real issue right now? Everyone has a bit of a Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer going on (red noses all around). So, I would not mind at all if it got smoother art going forward. But overall, not a bad start. I just wonder; is Bruce's mind whammy still in effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Same. Looks like what I would expect of a Lobo comic, or one of those weird, indie cartoons of the 80s and 90s that you have no idea who the film is made for, nor if its good or bad. The premise does sound fun, at least.

For The Hill; narrative wise, not a bad start all around. Jason among peers, but has a lot more experience, and not judged/in antagonistic relationship with them. My only real issue right now? Everyone has a bit of a Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer going on (red noses all around). So, I would not mind at all if it got smoother art going forward. But overall, not a bad start. I just wonder; is Bruce's mind whammy still in effect?
    The Hill is set in the past so no mind screwing going on with our boy. And as pointed out earlier, Jímenez posted a sketch of Jason riding a bike into action so chances are that min control thing has been effectively swept under the rug. interestingly, there are rumors that Dick is the now getting mind screwed and gaining crippling fear of heights.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know, right?! Sounds interesting. Might even give it a try...

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    With a character design like that I'm a bit sceptical if that book is going to have good take on Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Unexpected Red Hood gear at this year's New Japan Wrestle Kingdom 18. RH was specifically shouted out by commentary.

Attachment 136837

Honestly, Mox is one the few AEW wrestlers I figured wasn't a nerd*.

*I of course mean nerd as a compliment. One of us. One of us. One of us.
    Mox? He is a huge nerd. His favorite franchise is Batman and related characters, and his favorite character is Red Hood. He revealed all of this in a podcast with his wife.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbo...ics-exclusive/

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    With a character design like that I'm a bit sceptical if that book is going to have good take on Jason.
    Well, I hope he is being truthful because it sounds pretty good

I honestly quite like the art in that Boy Wonder book.

It's true, though, that Jason's design is a bit too macabre/grotesque, but I also don't hate it and it could well contrast with him no being a psycho or an edgelord, despite appearances. Hope they go down that route.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Well, I hope he is being truthful because it sounds pretty good
    I kind of suspect the "(making them) stronger" refers to Jason ...

Sorry but we had so many crappy takes on Jason in the last years, so my expectation when it comes on his appearances in other characters books are pretty low.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CorDaytona View Post
    I honestly quite like the art in that Boy Wonder book.

It's true, though, that Jason's design is a bit too macabre/grotesque, but I also don't hate it and it could well contrast with him no being a psycho or an edgelord, despite appearances. Hope they go down that route.
    Is it wrong to think Artemis would probably be really into the macabre look?

Considering she's a hardcore warrior, she'd prolly be pretty into scars.